• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2015 General disco

Powerball

1.25" hail was reported at MPX National Weather Service office, but generally the VIL/reflectivity shows indications of hail smaller than that, or none at all.

The actual report was 1.5" hail. Maybe the VIL data was inaccurate due to being right over the radar (cone of silence)?

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The actual report was 1.5" hail. Maybe the VIL data was inaccurate due to being right over the radar (cone of silence)?

yes, that report showed 1.25" and then it showed 1.5" just after I posted that. That storm may have been too close to the MPX radar to detect the high altitude parts of the storm, and too far from ARX radar to detect it accurately.

Definitely severe hail hitting the North Saint Paul area and I wouldn't be surprised to see some wind reports just south of there the way the storm appears to be bowing out.

With temps in the 70s and dewpoints only around 50*F, there's no question severe wind gusts (whether it's via the storm's outflow or the downburst) are coming out of that cell.

Unbelievable hail damage here. Some 100 yr old trees stripped bare. Branches down everywhere. Ground is covered with hailstones. Pics and video to follow after I clean up the mess. Damn it.

Ask and you shall receive. Seriously, sorry to hear about the damage.

GGEM's going gangbusters with the warm pattern, popping a 588dm ridge over PA and parking 16*C 850mb temps overhead by next weekend.

GFS did take a step in that direction, but not nearly as impressive.

Euro is showing the same. The GFS is starting to catch on. The low drifting up the coast is acting as a block and allowing our ridge to remain in place. Meanwhile, the 4 corners trough, which I hoped would give us some weather, now looks to be pushed up into the Northern Plains.

post-830-0-50195600-1430693636_thumb.png

EDIT: At least that's my uneducated take on it. Perhaps a met could chime in.

Ask and you shall receive. Seriously, sorry to hear about the damage.

Did a walk around the house. Trees took some damage, but I think most are okay actually. Several of them lost all of their buds though. The paint on the deck is chipped. But all things considered, it's not as bad as I feared.

Unbelievable hail damage here. Some 100 yr old trees stripped bare. Branches down everywhere. Ground is covered with hailstones. Pics and video to follow after I clean up the mess. Damn it.

couple of miles down the road from you (hyacinth and sylvan, north end of st paul), i got just pea to dime-sized hail, wind gusts probably 40-45. branches fallen were mainly 1/2" or less diameter.

couple of miles down the road from you (hyacinth and sylvan, north end of st paul), i got just pea to dime-sized hail, wind gusts probably 40-45. branches fallen were mainly 1/2" or less diameter.

Pretty amazing that there is still some hail on the ground over an hour later. Spent the last hour clearing a storm drain in the side of the yard that was clogged from all of the buds and leaves that fell.

Looks like another line now forming to our west.

Was up near the WI border this afternoon.  Was surprised to see how much further developed the leaves were just a few counties to the north.  Still lots of bare/near bare trees.  

Impressive band of storms from western WI back through IA.  Isolated sup southwest of Omaha is even tor warned in a weakly sheared environment.  

I was at work this afternoon and couldn't monitor things closely.  When I got home there was less than a quater of an inch of rain in my guage, while its not official it is generally very close.  Level III data on GR 3 shows my lot getting .76.  I may have to compare it to the CoCoRaHS reports in the morning, as I have a couple that are close to my house, Just may have to bite the bullet and join them.

http://www.cocorahs.org/Maps/ViewMap.aspx?state=usa

Was up near the WI border this afternoon.  Was surprised to see how much further developed the leaves were just a few counties to the north.  Still lots of bare/near bare trees.  

Impressive band of storms from western WI back through IA.  Isolated sup southwest of Omaha is even tor warned in a weakly sheared environment.  

Just had a band come through here...knocked the temps back pretty good and some pea sized hail and an impressive light show...  not sure ...maybe 1/4 inch of rain if that when its all said and done.  Love the sound a tstorm on a warm night. 

Awaiting the leftovers from Iowa hoping for a late night lightning op.  Looks like they may crap out before they get this far southeast though.  We'll see.

Shot a few pics up at the Apple River Canyon State Park earlier today.  This is a little southeast of Dubuque over the northwest tip of IL.

2vtqqee.jpg

2j68gaw.jpg

2mnhlx1.jpg

Archived