• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 2015 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

The GFS continues to show a pattern that would relax the ridge and allow more rain and convective chances into the area once past day 5. The GFS even sends a cane into the Carolinas during the first week of June. Obviously fantasy range but all signs point towards a more active pattern setting up for June.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturday continues to look very dry with temperatures in the 65-70 degree range

and dewpoints only in the 20's.

NEWARK               KEWR   GFS MOS GUIDANCE    5/21/2015  1200 UTC                       DT /MAY  21/MAY  22                /MAY  23                /MAY  24  HR   18 21 00 03 06 09 12 15 18 21 00 03 06 09 12 15 18 21 00 06 12  N/X                    49          76          45          68    52  TMP  56 56 55 52 51 51 56 69 74 73 66 58 51 47 51 60 65 67 64 56 59  DPT  40 41 43 45 45 44 45 42 37 32 29 28 27 27 28 25 23 25 30 38 42 

The GFS continues to show a pattern that would relax the ridge and allow more rain and convective chances into the area once past day 5. The GFS even sends a cane into the Carolinas during the first week of June. Obviously fantasy range but all signs point towards a more active pattern setting up for June.

The mid range models have sucked the past few months.

The 12z Euro only has some chances for scattered convection over the next 10 days

with no obvious widespread soaker showing up yet.

It will be interesting to see if NYC continues to miss the best convection and

can finish May with under an inch of rainfall.

NYC 0.32 so far tihis May.

The 12z Euro only has some chances for scattered convection over the next 10 days

with no obvious widespread soaker showing up yet.

It will be interesting to see if NYC continues to miss the best convection and

can finish May with under an inch of rainfall.

NYC 0.32 so far tihis May.

I'm going with the GEFS which show a much more active pattern ensuing thanks to a more favorable positioning of the southeast ridge starting in about 6 days.

f168.gif

f180.gif

f192.gif

f204.gif

I'm going with the GEFS which show a much more active pattern ensuing thanks to a more favorable positioning of the southeast ridge starting in about 6 days.

The problem with the GFS this spring has been convective feedback. Whenever the Euro has disagreed and showed

less rain it has been correct. I don't really trust model forecasts for rain beyond 120 hrs in a dry pattern without

something obvious like a big cut off in the Ohio Valley or Great Lakes. But we'll see how things go since 

long range rainfall forecasting is lower skill beyond 120 hrs.

The problem with the GFS this spring has been convective feedback. Whenever the Euro has disagreed and showed

less rain it has been correct. I don't really trust model forecasts for rain beyond 120 hrs in a dry pattern without

something obvious like a big cut off in the Ohio Valley or Great Lakes. But we'll see how things go since 

long range rainfall forecasting is lower skill beyond 120 hrs.

Perhaps I should clarify. I'm not calling for widespread rainfall anytime soon, just a relaxing of the pattern which would allow for better chances. The prevailing southeast ridge has for the most part acted as the proverbial pond with storm systems and fronts acting as stones skipping off of it. The Euro also shows a relaxation, just not quite to the same extent as the most recent runs of the GFS.

To put it simply, we should be entering into a more summery pattern with higher dew points and numerous chances of convection each day. Nothing extraordinary, but much more active than the last 30 days.  

One thing that I have noticed with the upgraded GFS is that the fantasy range has been a bit less fantasy this Spring. Take for example the phantom TC that the 12z GFS had at the end of its run. Nearly every 12z GEFS member has this system in some form at the end of its run. Don't be shocked if this system eventually comes to fruition. Ana first showed up 300+ hours out.

f360.gif

As far as next week getting to 90, i doubt it happens unless we get a thunderstorm around noon and clears up from 1pm-4pm really heating up the surface. I think Wednesday is our best shot again I doubt it'll happen but it's not impossible with all the humidity that's heading this way.

As far as next week getting to 90, i doubt it happens unless we get a thunderstorm around noon and clears up from 1pm-4pm really heating up the surface. I think Wednesday is our best shot again I doubt it'll happen but it's not impossible with all the humidity that's heading this way.

90 looks very possible tue/wed.  Clouds the only caveat in my opinion.

A midday thunderstorm is going to significantaly lower the potential high for the day. Not sure where you keep getting these wacky ideas. If you want 90 next week we want as few clouds and dews as low as possible with 850s torching.

Weird today in the city as the subway has already heated up for the season so it was much much hotter down below

The cold front coming through tonight drops the dewpoints into the 20's on Saturday

so the relative humidity is going to be very low. It will be another dry downslope

day for this spring.

NEWARK

KEWR   GFS MOS GUIDANCE    5/22/2015  0600 UTC                       DT /MAY  22      /MAY  23                /   HR   12 15 18 21 00 03 06 09 12 15 18 21 00  X/N              77          44          67             TMP  60 68 75 74 67 59 52 46 51 59 64 67  DPT  45 42 38 34 31 30 28 26 26 23 23 26 

Archived