• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2015 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

Per the ECMWF and latest model data, the mid level ridge axis which was anchored over the Lakes/Northeast for most of May, will propagate eastward to a position that places us on the western periphery of the ridge. This should allow for a more humid, convective environment and greater opportunities for short waves to swing through the interior Northeast. As a result, the Euro is projecting about 2-3" of rain over NJ through 240 hours on the latest 12z run. This cannot be taken at face value due to the convective nature to the pattern; however, the ridge orientation is changing from May 1st-23rd, so I think the extremely dry / no rain pattern will be ending for our area. It remains to be seen if we continue on the dry side of normal, but it does appear that we'll at least have much higher chances for meaningful rain in the next 7-10 days (via mostly scattered convection, potentially more widespread at times).

The last few runs of the CFS V2 do indicate the increased wetness finally spreading toward the East Coast:

CFSv2.NaPrec.20150525.201506.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good luck with any rains!  dry begets dry.  Great day here, highs in the low 80's with a breeze.   Parade and BBQ today here was perfect.

It's definitely a new ridge orientation than the past few weeks, so I think we're done with the bone dry / California-like no rain pattern. Whether we actually transition into an above normal pcpn regime or not remains to be seen, but we should see many more opportunities than we've had over the past few weeks. Convection could be fairly widespread ahead of the Sunday FROPA in particular.

Per the ECMWF and latest model data, the mid level ridge axis which was anchored over the Lakes/Northeast for most of May, will propagate eastward to a position that places us on the western periphery of the ridge. This should allow for a more humid, convective environment and greater opportunities for short waves to swing through the interior Northeast. As a result, the Euro is projecting about 2-3" of rain over NJ through 240 hours on the latest 12z run. This cannot be taken at face value due to the convective nature to the pattern; however, the ridge orientation is changing from May 1st-23rd, so I think the extremely dry / no rain pattern will be ending for our area. It remains to be seen if we continue on the dry side of normal, but it does appear that we'll at least have much higher chances for meaningful rain in the next 7-10 days (via mostly scattered convection, potentially more widespread at times).

The last few runs of the CFS V2 do indicate the increased wetness finally spreading toward the East Coast:

CFSv2.NaPrec.20150525.201506.gif

Now that's a sight for sore eyes.

Now that's a sight for sore eyes.

i wouldn't cheer the rain that much because I think that devastating rain will only move northeast. Good news cause we need it but not as much as Texas is getting. That's just miserable. I hope end of June and July are not too wet but I'm afraid there'll be some devastating floods even around here if this pattern changes the way the models are starting to depict! You'll finally get your rain yanks but hopefully we don't get it all once and lots of it!

The Euro is already starting to show less rain for NYC than the previous runs for later in

the weekend. Hopefully, there is enough rain to get May over an inch since NYC is

still stuck at +0.32. So the best chance for NYC convection will come in on the last of

the month as per the Euro.

The Euro is already starting to show less rain for NYC than the previous runs for later in

the weekend. Hopefully, there is enough rain to get May over an inch since NYC is

still stuck at +0.32. So the best chance for NYC convection will come in on the last of

the month as per the Euro.

The 00z Euro was still 2"+ for most of NJ and that's the nature of convection. You're never going to get identical runs. Should the drier trend continue then perhaps that's something that should be considered. The 00z GGEM was 3"+ for everyone and even closes off an ULL over the TN Valley late this weekend which would be in a prime spot for East coast rain.

gem_z500_mslp_us_28.png

I think it's safe to say that the rain is coming. Not that every threat the next two weeks is going to work out exactly as modeled, but it's clear that the trough will be coming East and the southern jet will be better aligned to deliver the goods up here.

I ain't buying anything until I hear the gutters running with rainwater.  My lawn looks like something out of late July at this point.  Only .44 here MTD.

I think the same can be said to  you for promising me all that rain the last month... :whistle:

I haven't promised anything. It was quite clear that with the pattern we had in place that precipitation would be well below normal. As is often the case, the models began picking up on this pattern change a week or so too early. Alas, the pattern shift will being tomorrow. 

The 12z GFS stalls the front right over us. Spotty hit or miss convection during the day tomorrow and then a more pronounced area of rain tomorrow night. Again, the globals are going to smooth out QPF and I would expect some areas to pick up a lot more or a lot less than others. Let's get through this week and see where we stand before worrying about the weekend and next week.

Archived