• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 2015 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

Next week looks like a dirty warm up with debris clouds streaming NE from the record

rainfall over TX and OK. This may limit the heating potential of the 16C 850s'.

So we could see plenty of mid or upper 80's and maybe the first 90 for

the warm spots if the clouds break long enough. The dewpoints should rebound

back to around 60 and chances for convection look scattered at best. The

persistent upper ridge builds again over the area as the weekend trough departs.

The impressive El Nino for this time of year appears to be reinforcing the strong

upper ridge pattern.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next week looks like a dirty warm up with debris clouds streaming NE from the record

rainfall over TX and OK. This may limit the heating potential of the 16C 850s'.

So we could see plenty of mid or upper 80's and maybe the first 90 for

the warm spots if the clouds break long enough. The dewpoints should rebound

back to around 60 but chances for convection look scattered at best.

Looks like some locales could have one of their driest May's on record. NYC, BDR, BDL and ORH are at less than an inch

Looks like some locales could have one of their driest May's on record. NYC, BDR, BDL and ORH are at less than an inch

Yeah, NYC is at 0.32 and under an inch is possible should the best scattered convection miss the city like it did on Saturday.

Anything 1.18 or less is top ten driest material for NYC in May.

Woke up to a cool 52 here. Upper 40s tomorrow am?

Should NYC have a low temperature below 50° (as indicated on the guidance), it would only be the 4th time that the temperature falls below 50° after May 20 in the 2010-present timeframe. There were 12 such occurrences in the 2000-09 period.

Wait what's that shouting I hear...oh its just the Chamber of Commerce tooting from the rooftops informing us all of another top 10 day of the year

The doom and gloomers are running for their lives.  Looks like a great weekend outside of beach/pool activities-90% dry today through Monday

Wait what's that shouting I hear...oh its just the Chamber of Commerce tooting from the rooftops informing us all of another top 10 day of the year

You spend quite a lot of time on the internet for someone so enchanted by the endless joys of late spring.

It is a nice, crisp day, though. Hopefully my gardens don't die tonight .

Should NYC have a low temperature below 50° (as indicated on the guidance), it would only be the 4th time that the temperature falls below 50° after May 20 in the 2010-present timeframe. There were 12 such occurrences in the 2000-09 period.

old guys like me remember May 25th, 1967 when the high for the day was 46 or 1963 with a low of 39 on the 24th...1961 had a max of 47 on the 27th with light rain...LGA reported ice pellets on the 27th, 1961...

These are gem days that will be few and far between once the heat & humidity kick in. It looks good through Sunday or even Monday for that matter. The main concern regarding the dry weather is the potential fire danger, but everything else will be okay (boring yes but not a major concern).

These are gem days that will be few and far between once the heat & humidity kick in. It looks good through Sunday or even Monday for that matter. The main concern regarding the dry weather is the potential fire danger, but everything else will be okay (boring yes but not a major concern).

yes boring for us weather fiends but everyone enjoys it at the end of the day. Also snowski I noticed everyone including myself seems like we're in a better mood and friendlier when we have this amazing weather. I personally love this weather right next to a blizzard but yeah a blizzard is better for me. And I'm sure you too! Enjoy your long weekend everyone!

The 12z Euro is really dry over the next 10 days. Any 90 degree reading potential

shows up over CNJ/NNJ provided that there is enough sunshine to maximize

the 16-17C 850's. Very strong seabreezes on LI with cooler temps.

Thanks for the ECm updates bluewave.  Much appreciated.  Agree clouds the only real factor in limiting 90s next tue (5/26) - fri. 5/29)

Looks like this year is shaping up as much different than last summer and thats a good thing

Last June was right at normal in both temp departures and precip.  We'll see how it goes this year.  Those hoping warm will be treated next week and hope it continues into June.  Im rooting on a return to 2010-2013 heat personally but dont see prolonged or extreme heat as frequent as those years, yet.

using the jma index 1896 would be the closest...temp was 67.0 with 2.51" of rain...

'93 was very warm and dry 65.6 (1.56).  And if werent for the .90 on May 31st the month would have had similar rainfall as this year.  Enso a bit off but building nino none the less.

looking at the warmest May's on record show...

year.....90+.....

1991.....39.....hot

1880...............normal

1944.....37.....hot

1896...............hot

1965.....15.....cool

1959.....27.....hot

1986.....11.....cool

1975.......8.....cool

1993.....39.....hot

1980.....32.....hot

1964.....23.....cool

1955.....25.....hot

2010.....37.....hot

1985.......9.....cool

1979.....18.....normal

1969.....16.....normal

1942.....12.....cool

Unc can you add precip to this one?

Island of cool in a sea of warmth. Tonight will be very brisk by late May standards. Already into the upper 50s with a low in the lower 40s looking likely here. The first half of Memorial Day weekend will feel like fall/mid spring rather than summer. Significant change by Tuesday.

Archived