• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2015 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

Models have been horrid with QPF the last 6 weeks.  It's always a flip to wetter than never comes.  Even yesterday, models showed widespread 1-2 inches for many locales just 48 hours out only to verify with .50 in a couple lucky spots and much less or zero in most of the subforum.  Dry begets dry.

The Euro has done the best out of the NAM and GFS. There are big problems with the GFS upgrade last winter

showing up with excessive convective feedback this warm season. Still haven't heard any information about

a potential fix coming yet. So let the buyer beware.

https://twitter.com/tstmshadow/status/602103077018173441

Not good when the GFS is beating the NAM in the wet bias contest.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro has done the best out of the NAM and GFS. There are big problems with the GFS upgrade last winter

showing up with excessive convective feedback this warm season.

https://twitter.com/tstmshadow/status/602103077018173441

Not good when the GFS is beating the NAM in the wet bias contest.

you mean like this?  Ridiculously overdone in all likelihood

gfs_namer_384_precip_ptot.gif

The pattern is changing, you can believe it or you can choose to ignore it. All of the globals have over an inch of rain this weekend, including the 00z ECWMF.

Anything  more than bone dry represents a shift to wetter. But that doesn't mean that you jump on the wettest piece of

guidance for any given period before seeing how the first event verifies in a 240 hr QPF prog.

Anything more than bone dry represents a shift to wetter. But that doesn't mean that you jump on the wettest piece of

guidance for any given period before seeing how the first event verifies in a 240 hr QPF prog.

I could have posted the 00z GGEM which has 7" of rain over the next ten days but I did not.

I could have posted the 00z GGEM which has 7" of rain over the next ten days but I did not.

You have to take one event at a time. Remember the 12z GFS yesterday had a phantom bullseye near the South Shore

of NYC/Nassau which never verified. Now how many more of those QPF blobs do you think are being factored into the 10 Day?

12z Wed GFS 

It's had that for weeks though, and has yet to verify. The models are crap lately.

That's the nature with convection. But if you go back to last week we had 384 hr GFS runs that showed less than inch of rain over the area for the entire run. The trough is being kicked East. 

The EPS mean basically has a flat ridge and the GEFS mean has a trough. The battle continues.

gfs-ens_z500a_us_41.png

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_11.png

You have to take one event at a time. Remember the 12z GFS yesterday had a phantom bullseye near the South Shore

of NYC/Nassau which never verified. Now how many more of those QPF blobs do you think are being factored into the 10 Day?

12z Wed GFS 

attachicon.giff27.gif

Nobody takes bulls eye convective blobs seriously as they are like throwing darts at a board. Picked up 0.28" of rain yesterday, so I will consider that a win.

12z Wed GFS 

attachicon.giff27.gif

Agree , these help skew the 10 day totals gem_mslp_pcpn_eus_36.pnggem_mslp_pcpn_eus_21.png

Agree , these help skew the 10 day totals 

Yeah, the upgraded GFS has been placing a phantom QPF bullseye south of Coney Island on several occasions 

recently. None of the other models have been doing this. Even the NAM got the forecast right yesterday. I can't post the Euro but it was just like the NAM 12z yesterday.

What gives with these diverse current SST's?        Buoy 44065    50

Coney Island  60

Sandy Hook    66

Yeah, the upgraded GFS has been placing a phantom QPF bullseye south of Coney Island on several occasions 

recently. None of the other models have been doing this. Even the NAM got the forecast right yesterday. I can't post the Euro but it was just like the NAM 12z yesterday.

attachicon.giff24.gif

attachicon.giff27N.gif

I've noticed that also...The nam has the opposite bias in the same area with often low qpf for some reason.

The 12z Euro has 1-2.5" of rain for Sunday-Tuesday time frame.

It will  come down the the development of the weak wave on the stalled out front for Monday into Tuesday.

I hope the Euro is correct about the overrunning potential developing since we really need the rain.

It will  come down the the development of the weak wave on the stalled out front for Monday into Tuesday.

I hope the Euro is correct about the overrunning potential developing since we really need the rain.

GFS has 1.50"+ of rain as well.

GFS has 1.50"+ of rain as well.

It will depend on the front stalling out in just the right position and not too far south Monday into Tuesday.

There should be an organized overrunning potential where the front stalls out. Hopefully, it's not

just south of the area and CNJ/SNJ gets jackpotted. But it will boost confidence if the models

still have us in the best zone getting under 48hr from the event.

Archived