Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Model discussion for May

Ginx snewx

40's in SNe or 50's?

I see some 40s verbatim on some of them..esp higher spots. It's a big high pumping in colder and drier air like winter. These are setups that give us temps much cooler than say MOS would have. However, it would obviously need to be raining rather steadily. You aren't getting that with a bright overcast. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is an odd pattern evolution with surface features... really hearkens to the blockiness plague that set in over on this side of the Hemisphere (or everywhere if so...) that begin about 18 mo ago and continues unrelenting. 

Basically, when you have a + 1 or even 2 SD surface PP moving across along and just N of the St Lawrence latitude like that you don't typically witness this in the summer.  Granted, we are in late spring... but for all intents and purposes, it's quite late to see amplitude of that particular structure evolve at this time of year.  It's far more likely to see that in the cold season, with prelude to ice and the manidory 10- page icing thread topic... replete with pictures of historical events of lore. 

India's heat is a huge anomaly, btw - It's not so much that it is hot.  It's because there is no monsoon flow. That heat is created by a super synoptic scaled downslope event off the Hims... At this time of year, more typically the flow turns around and begins to flow off the adjacent oceanic areas ... established as compensating flow for rising air inland. This transports theta-e richness to fuel torridity of a different type: humid.   The "blockiness" et all is usurping that typology and lending pretty directly to a kill off ...  wow.  

Last night you laughed at the GFS showing rain, now tossing the Euro rains.

Is the SOP going into this summer to poo-poo any and all rain events until proven wrong?

Unless it's been a rainy spring and we're on the flood train. You'll catch up eventually.

It's always tricky to predict these stratiform rains in the warm season. The key is Monday with the second s/w trough coming out of the Great lakes. That sort of reinvigorates the rain again..especially on the euro. The GFS has this, but not as prevalent as the euro. The setup does have a decent 850 LLJ overriding the chilly air at the surface, so there are some advective processes that sometimes are missing in warm season synoptic events.  I'm not sold on prolific rains yet, but for now, a decent soaking seems reasonable in a good part of the area.

Yeah it's a pretty good setup for the time of year. Not sure why the hype machine is in downplay mode... I figured he'd be ready to fire up the SOS signal. 

Yeah it's a pretty good setup for the time of year. Not sure why the hype machine is in downplay mode... I figured he'd be ready to fire up the SOS signal. 

only if we were standing at 24" with the chance to add to it

Not bulls eyes,, just the general thing I've been worried about with a stall farther north and the massive rains being forecast over SNE end up in CNE/ NNE

there has been a trend northward, the Canadian is also further north but it still gives beneficial rains to the south and the front doesn't clear the area until Tuesday.

Looks good. Front slowly moves east too and gives a region wide dousing it seems.  Perhaps a pattern favoring more rain chances going forward too with lower heights across the southern states.

Probably some decent hydro issues in upstate NY if the Euro verifies. 

Archived