• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA and the fringes - Spring

Yeah. Mother Nature really knows how to pick em huh? Good luck with everything. The good news is the weather pattern will switch up back to warm and more summer like. I'm wondering if what a few people are saying about the LR is going to be correct with a trough in the plains and ridge in the east setup late in the month as the ridge over the Pacific retrograde and moves the troughing toward the country's mid section. That leaves room for that Bermuda high in the east. That would spell hot for July. We'll see. It's still early.

Thanks!

I have to wonder though, a Bermuda High for us and a trough in the mid section. Does that equate for more heavy rain for Texas and Oklahoma?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easterly flow remains stubbornly locked in over here in Lancaster county, but it's no surprise to me. This weekend, the sun will make an appearance and temperatures will rebound, but should stay slightly below normal. The next real active weather looks to come on Monday with a threat of thunderstorms for the region. Storms could be severe with support looking like linear organization ahead of an approaching cold front. Should break out into the warm sector as the main low will be positioned over Ontario. That's a pretty good spot for PA to get severe potential. We shall see. Enjoy your cool June day!

Sounds like a good shot at decent storms tomorrow.

"This wave moves through wrn pa and into central pa at the time of max heating, pushing a line of strong to locally severe storms across the region. Central pa is painted into day 2 slgt risk for this and concur, could be the best setup so far this year for severe, and training cells May lead to local heavy rainers. as previous shift added, models generate impressive amounts of cape and wind shear under the strong jet entrance region that intensifies as it swings through srn canada. Models cont to generate a broad area of negative abs vorticity under the strong jet entrance region, often a good indication of the instability generated by the models. This activity will last well into Monday night"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now it's official. I'm an employed meteorological forecaster!!  :thumbsup:

Congrats man, especially given the ridiculously tough market for mets out there.  Mind if I ask where?

Not excited about tomorrow's "severe" threat at all.  Will probably have a highly contaminated warm sector that doesn't clear out until 5:00 pm or so and then we get some gusty showers.

Congrats man, especially given the ridiculously tough market for mets out there. Mind if I ask where?

Not excited about tomorrow's "severe" threat at all. Will probably have a highly contaminated warm sector that doesn't clear out until 5:00 pm or so and then we get some gusty showers.

Thanks Joe. It is a really tough market out there. I was incredibly fortunate. I work for a government contracted firm that does forecasting for the DoD located in Germantown. Pretty interesting job and I can't wait to start.

As far as tomorrow, I think the opportunity is there but it's better the further west you go in the subforum. Low level shear is the best it has been for severe around here, but once again, cloudy skies ahead of the frontal boundary in the warm sector might be the demise. I still think a few good lines will develop, but any major cells will have a tough time. The synoptic setup is good with a low over the Lakes, but can we get the sun to break out? That's the million dollar question. That's just a short synopsis. I might write something more elaborate tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks Joe. It is a really tough market out there. I was incredibly fortunate. I work for a government contracted firm that does forecasting for the DoD located in Germantown. Pretty interesting job and I can't wait to start.

As far as tomorrow, I think the opportunity is there but it's better the further west you go in the subforum. Low level shear is the best it has been for severe around here, but once again, cloudy skies ahead of the frontal boundary in the warm sector might be the demise. I still think a few good lines will develop, but any major cells will have a tough time. The synoptic setup is good with a low over the Lakes, but can we get the sun to break out? That's the million dollar question. That's just a short synopsis. I might write something more elaborate tonight or tomorrow.

If it's Germantown, MD then you work about 20 minutes from my job.

Huge Chemical plant Fire in Adams County, my company is part of Cumberland county foam team is currently enroute..(Engine, Tanker and Foam Wagon)

looking for storms to fire later this afternoon

1.)  Wish I was on that box, probably the fire of the year for Adams County.

2.)  Don't expect anything worthwhile today.

If it's Germantown, MD then you work about 20 minutes from my job.

It is. I'll be sure to wave to you and Mark haha

MillvilleWX congratulations!

0.37" of rain this morning. Lets see what this afternoon brings.

Thanks! Had some light rain go through Millersville this morning. Actually felt nice out. The sun is out to the south, but clouds are hanging around to my north, and that might be the key player in today's forecast. Just off what I glanced at (haven't looked into detail), the areas to the west around Cumberland/Perry/Franklin/Adams are in line for some good storms this evening. I'm going to take a look closer and see if that's the case and whether or not areas east can get in on the severe potential and not just heavy rain. PWAT's look up to around 1.75-2", so any convective potential will be accompanied by tropical like downpours.

Edit: SPC seems to like the potential today. That shortwave digging on the back side of the main trough could make things interesting for the region this evening. I'm always gun shy on severe potential around here if there is debris clouds chilling in the warm sector. More often than not, it manages to screw our areas. Their take is the cloudy conditions will transfer to a more favorable environment as the sun begins to really break through and offer up a time of abundant diabatic heating potential. Plus, with the dew's heading into the mid/upper 60's today, that should provide the potential deep moist convection to fire on the lead of any frontal forcing. If we had full sun today, I think we'd have some serious potential.

Sun has been out for over an hour here. I hate severe weather but am concerned given the amount of sun so early in the day. Our baseball team (Donegal) is in the state semis this afternoon in Cresson and it's not looking good weatherwise.

I just said this to a co-worker about the sun already, could be interesting for sure later.

The weather hasn't really been cooperating for playoff games has it. Good luck today if you guys play. 

Archived