joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5th Storm Banter Thread

nj2va

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can pretty much sum up how the next 24 hours will unfold with the following:

9:30 - Darn. NAM is still underwhelming. OMG, I'm only getting 3-6"

10:45 - SOB. GFS still only gives me 4-5"

1 AM when all of the ninnies are asleep - Nice run on the Euro. We got this

2:30 AM - Yoda to himself - SREFs look good

7:00 AM - People awake to see that the 6Z GFS/NAM are still 3-6" and continue to worry

7:10 AM - WTF. It's still sleeting outside. FML

10:00 AM - MD issued for 1-2" per hour rates for the next 2 hours. Everyone jumps for joy. 

Sometime in the late afternoon - Nice we all got 4-8" and some dude on Rte 27 in Carroll County measured 10" on an 8" ruler.

Does that seem close?

You can pretty much sum up how the next 24 hours will unfold with the following:

7:00 AM - People awake to see that the 6Z GFS/NAM are still 3-6" and continue to worry

10:00 AM - MD issued for 1-2" per hour rates for the next 2 hours. Everyone jumps for joy.

Sometime in the late afternoon - Nice we all got 4-8" and some dude on Rte 27 in Carroll County measured 10" on an 8" ruler.

Does that seem close?

Absolutely! :)

Does that seem close?

Lol, pretty good.

Gonna be a tough call for OPM and school districts, when they do their 5 AM check it's all going to look good.

I think if schools and OPM consult with NWS its a pretty easy call to at least delay and see what happens, but more than likely close. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if OPM calls it tonight.

I think if schools and OPM consult with NWS its a pretty easy call to at least delay and see what happens, but more than likely close. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if OPM calls it tonight.

DC has a snow emergency starting 7 AM, they will call tonight.

I never thought 10" was "likely" for anyone. Simple math. 10" requires 10 hours of snowfall at an average rate of 1"/hr @ 10:1. That's a lot to ask unless there is some sort of upper level low or coastal low. 

It's still possible because of the unusual setup of a mega moisture feed and slow moving boundary. But 10" of snow usually requires a "storm" and not a "wave". 

Gonna be a tough call for OPM and school districts, when they do their 5 AM check it's all going to look good.

If they actually read the forecast it should be easy, big if there though.

A delay would probably be the most stupidest move a school system could make, considering there will likely be far more hazardous conditions at 9 AM then 7 AM.

Paul Kocin vs. pdIII - tough call.

Sent from my iPhone

I put in a bit of a rant in the main model discussion thread, which perhaps was not the best place for that.  But I saw PDIII's "no way in March" comment and I *had* to say something.  Basically I mentioned that last year, I got 3" snow on March 25 during the day...three weeks later than this upcoming event...and some of that even stuck to the pavement.

I never thought 10" was "likely" for anyone. Simple math. 10" requires 10 hours of snowfall at an average rate of 1"/hr @ 10:1. That's a lot to ask unless there is some sort of upper level low or coastal low.

It's still possible because of the unusual setup of a mega moisture feed and slow moving boundary. But 10" of snow usually requires a "storm" and not a "wave".

There's a ton of moisture with this thing, so I've been thinking that this thing has had a good chance to put down 10" somewhere. Not expected, and not widespread, but certainly doable.

Assuming we flip at a good point, I think the DC-Baltimore corridor and west is looking at 5-8" realistically. But as long as I get more than everybody else, I don't care how much I actually get.

Archived