CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the below zero Temps on the GFS and Euro for Friday morning. Any snow we get will be cement for sure by Friday. If temps do indeed dip that low it would make it 2 years in a row with below zero temps in March for this area...pretty incredible

euro has a known snow cover bias with cold and the gfs has the same apparently post upgrade. never say never at dulles if it's close but even chopping 10 off MOS keeps above zero if just a bit. Single digits seem quite likely.. widespread below 0s probably won't happen.

Time of year is similar to a storm we were hoping for two years ago about this time I believe. What is the level of risk with having wain the previous 6-12 hours providing a relatively warm/wet ground surface and this starting a few hours before sunrise that we end up seeing a "white rain" situation with significant compaction on the grass for ratios of 6 or 8 to 1 and almost nothing accumulating on roads/sidewalks due to the wet surface and sun angle? Or at this point would it be safe to dismiss those concerns?

Time of year is similar to a storm we were hoping for two years ago about this time I believe. What is the level of risk with having wain the previous 6-12 hours providing a relatively warm/wet ground surface and this starting a few hours before sunrise that we end up seeing a "white rain" situation with significant compaction on the grass for ratios of 6 or 8 to 1 and almost nothing accumulating on roads/sidewalks due to the wet surface and sun angle? Or at this point would it be safe to dismiss those concerns?

It has been discussed that falling temps/time of day/rates should be enough to overcome but if you are looking for sure thing we are far from that. Level of risk is high anytime for our area. If we don't get anything, it has still been a decent few weeks.

Taken verbatim it looked fine for northern Maryland but the best snows are definitely from the M/D line north. Looks like an advisory event for I-95 points south and east.

was like 3-5 for that area. I don't think many are realistically expecting much more than that attm.

Nuke is bombogenesis on weenie. This thread is probably being sniffed by algorithms now.

They're watching you especially ;)

On topic though - I think I can expect at least an inch or two and that will make me happy. Of course I hope we get more - but we've been doing pretty well with wintry precip recently. 

The thing about the navgem is it's usually faster and more progressive than other models.

navgem has traditionally been overamped and snowbomb happy...but that's going back years and nobody has paid it serious attention in a long time so i don't know if that has changed.

I've said it once before, but I wish this would either speed up or slow down otherwise the majority of the snow might go unseen by those that aren't complete psychopath vampires.

Or those that have to keep an Air and Space Museum's sidewalks open for DC joggers that don't know when to quit. :-)

fwiw, here are meteocentre's estimates for the 12z and 18z GFS for DC.  All units converted to American by request.

12z - about 0.7" qpf as snow, 0.2" as sleet

18z - about 0.25" qpf as snow, 0.35" as sleet

Archived