• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2015 General disco

snowstormcanuck

What's interesting is if you walk around outside tonight you kind of get the feeling this snow will be on the ground for a long time.  It's very cold out, and the snow that's on the ground (6-7" worth) is VERY dense with quite a bit of ice coating the top of it as well.  However, even though this is a very formidable layer of snow it will be no match for the early to mid March sun combined with temps above 50 by next week.  10 days from now this snow will be a distant memory, and it will almost be unbelievable to think that the snow was as impressive and as dense as it is tonight.  

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The forecaster at IND is apparently happy about the pattern change:

YIPPEE!!!

FINALLY. A CHANGE FROM THE "WASH...RINSE..AND REPEAT" PATTERN FOR
NEARLY THESE PAST 2 MONTHS OF COLD...THEN SNOW...THEN BITTER COLD
WITH WIND CHILL ADVISORIES....THEN REPEAT.

HOWEVER AS MENTIONED IN A PREVIOUS FORECAST DISCUSSION A MUCH
...MUCH...MUCH...WELCOMED CHANGE FOR THE REST OF THE SHORT TERM (AND
BEYOND!) IS EXPECTED AS CONDITIONS LOOK QUIET AND *DRY* WITH HIGH
PRESSURE SETTLING OVER THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY.
THIS BERMUDA
HIGH-ISH TYPE PATTERN APPEARS TO CARRY THROUGH THE NEXT 7 DAYS
BRINGING DRY AND SLIGHTLY WARMER TEMPERATURES EACH DAY THIS
PERIOD!

WARM ADVECTION GETS GOING THROUGH MUCH OF THE REST OF THE SHORT
TERM...WITH TEMPS STEADILY WARMING BACK UP INTO THE UPPER 30S TO
NEAR 40 BY SATURDAY. A MOS BLEND LOOKED GENERALLY REASONABLE FROM
FRIDAY ON.

:lol:

Attended a NWS IND spotter training session at IUPUI this afternoon.  Good presentation.  Asked the met what his thoughts were regarding upcoming svr wx season.  He said obviously it would be delayed because of the cold weather but mentioned that 50 yrs ago before the Palm Sunday tornado outbreak spring was rather cool as well.  Moral of story.  Be prepared.

Down to 3 above.  Should dip a little below zero before temps start to rise by daybreak.  Today was number 22 for days below zero (9/12/1 Jan/Feb/Mar), so if we are below zero after midnight we'll make it 23.  That should be where we finish for the season.  Pretty impressive considering we didn't have any subzero days before Jan.

Down to 3 above.  Should dip a little below zero before temps start to rise by daybreak.  Today was number 22 for days below zero (9/12/1 Jan/Feb/Mar), so if we are below zero after midnight we'll make it 23.  That should be where we finish for the season.  Pretty impressive considering we didn't have any subzero days before Jan.

-1 as of a bit ago, so we're at 23 days for the season.  This time back in 2012 we were getting ready for a long stretch of 70s and 80s, so this cold is pretty impressive.  

Broke another record at DTW. Made it to 0°F tonight, beating out the old record of 2°F set in 1901.

Actually one of the later 0 degree nights in Detroit. Some later ones are/were on the 8th, 17th, 20th and 21st in various years. All in 1900 or before except for one.

Broke another record at DTW. Made it to 0°F tonight, beating out the old record of 2°F set in 1901.

Actually one of the later 0 degree nights in Detroit. Some later ones are/were on the 8th, 17th, 20th and 21st in various years. All in 1900 or before except for one.

I posted this in the Feb record cold thread

DTW fell to 0F this morning, breaking the record low of 2F from 1901. This is Detroit's 7th record low since Feb 16th (18 days)! (6 record lows, 1 record low max temp....im not even counting record low daily mean temps in that). Since records go to 1874, I cant recall such a blitz of record temps outside of Mar 2012 & Feb/Mar 2015. Not even close actually.

Remember the days when it seemed like we could never get a single record low? Well we have now broken 16 record low temps the last two winters a Detroit! 2013-14 saw 8 (5 rec lows, 3 rec low maxes) and 2014-15 saw 8 as well (7 rec lows, 1 rec low max).

You bring up another interesting point...the only later dates we have hit 0F or below:

0F - Mar 6, 2015

-1F - Mar 8, 1943

-2F - Mar 17, 1900

-2F - Mar 20, 1885

-1F - Mar 21, 1885

So basically the latest 0F reading in modern times

When the light doesn't hit it right it just looks like snow. When it does hit it right it looks like this.

Strappin on the ice skates today lmaosmiley.gif

4354-800.jpg

Guest ovweather

Kentucky set a new state record for the coldest temperature ever recorded in March with -16 at Hillsboro this morning.

I posted this in the Feb record cold thread

DTW fell to 0F this morning, breaking the record low of 2F from 1901. This is Detroit's 7th record low since Feb 16th (18 days)! (6 record lows, 1 record low max temp....im not even counting record low daily mean temps in that). Since records go to 1874, I cant recall such a blitz of record temps outside of Mar 2012 & Feb/Mar 2015. Not even close actually.

Remember the days when it seemed like we could never get a single record low? Well we have now broken 16 record low temps the last two winters a Detroit! 2013-14 saw 8 (5 rec lows, 3 rec low maxes) and 2014-15 saw 8 as well (7 rec lows, 1 rec low max).

You bring up another interesting point...the only later dates we have hit 0F or below:

0F - Mar 6, 2015

-1F - Mar 8, 1943

-2F - Mar 17, 1900

-2F - Mar 20, 1885

-1F - Mar 21, 1885

So basically the latest 0F reading in modern times

When the light doesn't hit it right it just looks like snow. When it does hit it right it looks like this.

Strappin on the ice skates today lmaosmiley.gif

4354-800.jpg

Record low of 0F rose only to 22F, glass still fully intact lol

4360-800.jpg

Nice pics. This is probably the most interesting looking snowpack we've ever had. I've heard tons of people commenting about how cool it looks.

Nice pics. This is probably the most interesting looking snowpack we've ever had. I've heard tons of people commenting about how cool it looks.

yup. I posted some more pics in the photo thread, didnt want to clutter this one up too much lol. This winter gets an A+ for photogenic appeal, thats for damn sure. We have had it all.

Guest ovweather

yup. I posted some more pics in the photo thread, didnt want to clutter this one up too much lol. This winter gets an A+ for photogenic appeal, thats for damn sure. We have had it all.

I am curious why the snow has this appearance? Was there some freezing drizzle that fell on top of the pack? Very unique looking. Looks like glass. Great pics!

I am curious why the snow has this appearance? Was there some freezing drizzle that fell on top of the pack? Very unique looking. Looks like glass. Great pics!

Last system we had 2-3" of snow followed by several hours of freezing drizzle/freezing rain. Added up to .10" or so of a glazing. It was supposed to flip over to rain that evening, but it never did. The next day everything was frozen solid.

Archived