joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2015 General disco

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am curious why the snow has this appearance? Was there some freezing drizzle that fell on top of the pack? Very unique looking. Looks like glass. Great pics!

On Wednesday, a morning burst of heavy snow turned to freezing rain. I estimate about 0.15" of precip fell as freezing rain. Temps were in the mid-20s. The snowpack was deep, dense, and very cold, so the rain naturally froze instantly to it. And it has just remained in tact.

The GFS is keeping 925mb temps on Monday 3-5 degrees cooler than the Euro. I really see no reason not to lean heavily on the warmer temps. The Euro has been handling the over performing temps quite well yesterday and today. Heck we are warmer today despite weak CAA. Low-mid 50's  Monday and lower 60's Tuesday.

41 at LAF.  Kinda weird that you guys farther north (UGN, MKE, etc) are several degrees warmer.  We all have snowcover, we're all getting sun, and we all have brisk W/SW flow.

Yeah, temps ramped up quickly to 40° here by noon with clouds, when a few sprinkles fell.  Since then we have had full sun, but temps have flatlined, rising only two degrees in the past three hours.

Still overperforming, as the p-n-c had 38° for a high.

Late yesterday and this afternoon I did my annual chore of hauling snow from the piles on the patio and next to the driveway out to the street to melt.  If I don't, it'll take the piles a long time to melt and they'll be forming puddles on the pavement.

Low 40s sure does feel good.  The low 60s in a few days will be awesome.  We still still have 2-3 inches of snow to melt.  The visible loop shows most of the northeast Iowa snowpack fading, but a strip of deeper snow still exists through Cedar Rapids over to Clinton.

45F or 46F...beautiful early, but the last few hours the wind picked up a lot and made it feel cooler.  Losing snow fast here, not like we had much to begin with.  There really aren't any big piles around this year. 

NWS keeps upping temps next week...showing mid 50Fs...

Still looks like a nice cover of snow south of here...going to take a few more days to kill it.

Sunshine today and a high of 41F. Lost about an inch in depth today. This will be two years in a row we have an unusually deep, moisture-laden snowpack in March that we lose gradually without the aid of rain. Cannot ask for better way to avoid flooding.

Much of the icy sheen the snowpack has had since wednesday is now gone, but the word of the morning was SNOWBLIND

4363-800.jpg

Archived