joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another gigantic bust on the I-95 corridor. Was suppose to get 12 inches, will only end up with a couple.

These things NEVER pan out. NEVER

this storm was an under performer for a lot of folks, just a lot of waste of some nice cold temps this past month and only this storm to show for it. Ready for spring.

Here's the 18Z RGEM snowfall map from yesterday.  I think it did pretty good overall.  It's been pretty reliable this winter.

8khfwsF.png

RGEM/Euro/UKIE lead the way with this one.  The GFS continues to be a steaming pile of dung.  While these three models were off by 50-75 miles at times with placement they did good with the overall setup.  The GFS was clueless and played catch up from day 1.

RGEM/Euro/UKIE lead the way with this one. The GFS continues to be a steaming pile of dung. While these three models were off by 50-75 miles at times with placement they did good with the overall setup. The GFS was clueless and played catch up from day 1.

lol.. other than the gfs every other model was better than the euro. The nam did the best with this storm. Can't believe I actually said that.

lol.. other than the gfs every other model was better than the euro. The nam did the best with this storm. Can't believe I actually said that.

NAM was decent but the Euro latched on to the general idea around day 5 in it's wheelhouse and never let it go.  The GFS we agree was atrocious. 

Failing to mention that the Double EE was in effect meaning the NAM and Euro esentialy showed the same thing at 500mb.  They both did well in their wheelhouses.

Euro>GFS per usual

The RGEM did the best in the closing hours, at least for this area. I think the NAM did best showing the setup several days beforehand. Honestly, the NAVGEM was right there with it, too.

The GFS was probably the worst and the Euro wasn't really any better. The Euro had RDU and GSO as a sub-0.3" QPF event (less than 0.2" here) with really cold 850s just less than 24 hours from the event...

I dunno folks in the east did at or above the totals it was calling for we had over 1.5" here.

At least one NAM had 1.5" qpf for ATL-AHN and it ended up near 0.50". Others were very wet. The NAM is almost always way too wet in this area in winter storm situations among others. I generally do cut it in half when it is way wetter and that often brings me to the consensus of the other models.

Also, the earlier NAM's were the coldest by far and ended up way too cold. I mean within 48 hours, they had ATL well under 0C at 850 and 925! Horrible. Later NAM's corrected that and did well with the temperatures. However, that was only within 24 hours.

OTOH, the NAM was the first to latch onto the appetizer and needs kudos for that.

But the NAM is still a very unreliable model, especially out more than 24 hours. Also, it is very wet biased.

The GFS was awful as it had little for either event til getting pretty close. The Euro was good overall imo.

The GFS did the best on qpf forecast for the upstate as the event was starting. It was the only model showing a relative minima of around .50 inches of liquid for the upstate and it verified perfectly. 

The RAP/HRR/NAM all had 1+ inch amounts here as the event was unfolding and busted badly, as the western upstate received .4 to .5 inches of liquid on average.

I know one thing... I will never let myself get excited over RAP/NAM totals just prior to an event again. They are basically worthless in my eye's at this point. Especially the RAP which was giving the Upstate 2 inches of liquid just 12 hours out, then backing off to 1.25 inches after the event had already started. WHAT A JOKE!!!

Here is the QPF comparison for MBY (KGSO) using the 00z runs from last night (basically as the storm was on our doorstep... precip moved in around 02z). I am just using the colored shadings as I do not have the text data in front of me at the moment.

Actual total: 0.66"

12 km NAM: A bit over 1"

4 km NAM: 0.8-0.9"

RAP: 1"

HRRR: 0.8"

21z SREF: 1.1"

RGEM: 0.6-0.7"

GFS: 0.5-0.6"

UKMET: 0.5"

Euro: 0.8"

As you can see, the RGEM was the closest. The GFS and UKMET were a little underdone. No models were really that far off, to be honest, though most were overdone by a couple tenths.

Archived