• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

Did he update his map? I think he only had us at 4-6" before while the other two stations were 6-10" or so.

You think we can make a run at 10"? The SREF plumes did well with last February's storm and they do have a mean of over 10" with a large clustering in the 10-16" range, so I guess the possibility is definitely there. It seems like we're getting decent ratios, so we're not wasting QPF. It should be a fun night. I'd love to exceed 8" for the first time in 13 years.

I also hope to see some 2-3"/hr rates later on.

Yeah he updated. Put us right on the edge of 6+. Basically 6 and who knows

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is still a lot of moisture to our south and west.  We've got quite a ways to go here before this is over tonight, at least for those in the upper half of the state of NC.

C3psaJa.png

I like Brad and think he does a good job, but if you look at the radar in motion, that precip assoicated with the 5h wave is headed for E TN / NC mountains.  I measured 1 inch a little while ago with roads covered with wet snow here north of Charlotte.  It's been all snow here, but rates have been sporadic, and radar leaves a lot to be desired.  

My main takeaway thus far is this....in our previous winter storm (sleetfest on Feb 17), I made the point that the most reliable type of precipitation you can have (steady, non-spotchy precip on radar) comes from warm-advection / overrunning type precip.  We had that in the Feb 17 storm.  With today's storm, the good 850mb warm advection is focused from S GA through eastern SC, into eastern NC (image below shows that for 03z).  The heavy precip we were suppose to get from GSP to CLT was more dynamically driven - strong upper level ascent.  That type of precip is less reliable.  Sometimes it is great, other times it is splotchy.  All indications from model QPF output indicated that this dynamically driven precip would be strong...but that has not been the case.

Warm_Adv.gif

I like Brad and think he does a good job, but if you look at the radar in motion, that precip assoicated with the 5h wave is headed for E TN / NC mountains.  I measured 1 inch a little while ago with roads covered with wet snow here north of Charlotte.  It's been all snow here, but rates have been sporadic, and radar leaves a lot to be desired.  

My main takeaway thus far is this....in our previous winter storm (sleetfest on Feb 17), I made the point that the most reliable type of precipitation you can have (steady, non-spotchy precip on radar) comes from warm-advection / overrunning type precip.  We had that in the Feb 17 storm.  With today's storm, the good 850mb warm advection is focused from S GA through eastern SC, into eastern NC (image below shows that for 03z).  The heavy precip we were suppose to get from GSP to CLT was more dynamically driven - strong upper level ascent.  That type of precip is less reliable.  Sometimes it is great, other times it is splotchy.  All indications from model QPF output indicated that this dynamically driven precip would be strong...but that has not been the case.

Warm_Adv.gif

im with you on those deform bands. I don't see how he sees them coming into charlotte.

Looks like the orentation s going to be more NNW or NW. Meaning this could also effect the lee side foohills area if it setsup right. 

Looks like the orentation s going to be more NNW or NW. Meaning this could also effect the lee side foohills area if it setsup right. 

Sounds Great! I mean, I have enjoyed the snow we've gotten here (Moderate but small to Medium sized flakes) but its only added up to about 1.5". Would love to see better rates come down. 

What makes you think it won't make it over the mountains?  This isn't a clipper system.  This is an upper level low that should pass through northern GA.  I like Hickory's chances for being on the NW side of that ULL when it continues to cruise to the east.

I really do not know, but looking at the current radar trends, that fetch is moving more NNW and could slide in the lee areas.

Sounds Great! I mean, I have enjoyed the snow we've gotten here (Moderate but small to Medium sized flakes) but its only added up to about 1.5". Would love to see better rates come down. 

I agree Calc. But again, me not Met :)

But in the last frames on the radar, you can start to see a pivot..

Maybe not. I got 2" down which is enough to make a killer snowman tomorrow with my boy.:)

What makes you think it won't make it over the mountains?  This isn't a clipper system.  This is an upper level low that should pass through northern GA.  I like Hickory's chances for being on the NW side of that ULL when it continues to cruise to the east.

I said NC mountains, but yeah, makes sense that some of that could rotate through the foothills....but I don't see it being like the storm last Feb...upper low was much stronger with that one and was more of a direct hit

This is an ocean lovin' low. Its still not ashore yet south of Tallahassee. Look at the pressure falls along the coast near the GA SC line.

pchg.gif?1424900662781

That is se of the ruc/nam, so maybe that's a good sign. Still hoping we can avoid that changeover again later tonight. probably a worthless venture, but we'll see.

They just updated the totals expected on the Winter Storm Warning for here

Accumulations... 5 to 12 inches of snow along and north of
Highway 64... this includes 5 to 8 inches in The Triad... and 8
to 12 inches over the central and northeast Piedmont including
the northern portions of the Triangle area. 

They just updated the totals expected on the Winter Storm Warning for here

Accumulations... 5 to 12 inches of snow along and north of

Highway 64... this includes 5 to 8 inches in The Triad... and 8

to 12 inches over the central and northeast Piedmont including

the northern portions of the Triangle area. 

noaa still shows me at 5-9 inches.  I'm sitting with 0 right now.  Must be some hellacious deformation bands right?

Wyff just mentioned that it once the low moves further east it will begin drawing moisture off the Atlantic to intensify things and crash temps more.

I've lost all faith for WYFF's weather team tonight. They just showed the radar and said union county was north of the snow line. That is total BS it is rain here. ALL RAIN. It's best to watch WSPA.

Big difference between the 2 stations....

UPDATED SNOW FORECAST 11pm: Minor adjustments to account for extra sleet to start (instead of snow) & dry pockets showing up on radar. Still heavy snow after midnight and plenty of snow on the ground by morning.

well ive already got 1.5" here and radar is just getting going.

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST THURSDAY... * LOCATIONS...THE PIEDMONT AND PORTIONS OF THE COASTAL PLAIN OF NORTH CAROLINA. * HAZARD TYPE...HEAVY SNOW IN THE PIEDMONT... AND A MIXTURE OF SNOW AND SLEET AT TIMES SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 40. * ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW ALONG AND NORTH OF HIGHWAY 64... THIS INCLUDES 5 TO 8 INCHES IN THE TRIAD... AND 8 TO 12 INCHES OVER THE CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST PIEDMONT INCLUDING THE NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE TRIANGLE AREA. THE MIXTURE OF SNOW AND SLEET WILL REDUCE ACCUMULATIONS OVER THE SOUTHERN PIEDMONT... NORTHWEST SANDHILLS AND PORTIONS OF THE COASTAL PLAIN TO BETWEEN 1 AND 4 INCHES.

Archived