joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raleigh: 
HAZARD TYPE...HEAVY SNOW IN THE PIEDMONT... AND A MIXTURE OF
SNOW AND SLEET AT TIMES SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 40.

* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW ALONG AND NORTH OF
HIGHWAY 64... THIS INCLUDES 5 TO 8 INCHES IN THE TRIAD... AND 8
TO 12 INCHES OVER THE CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST PIEDMONT INCLUDING
THE NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE TRIANGLE AREA. THE MIXTURE OF SNOW
AND SLEET WILL REDUCE ACCUMULATIONS OVER THE SOUTHERN
PIEDMONT... NORTHWEST SANDHILLS AND PORTIONS OF THE COASTAL
PLAIN TO BETWEEN 1 AND 4 INCHES.

Atlantic low forming now. Off shore *between* Savannah and Charleston. Maybe a little ahead of schedule?

pchg.gif?1424900662781

that's looks WAY east of all the model guidance and I like it, I am flirting with the line to much here and need the 850's to get south and stay there cause the snow is piling up and I really need it to stay all snow lol.....

The storm looks a lot more focused on the eastern half of NC and most of SC now...must be because the low is transferring to the Atlantic. It looks far less organized than it did when it was still in the gulfm though the bands are very heavy in NC.

Yeah the 5h low has weakened dramatically and the coastal really hasn't organized yet.

z3ihh.jpg

The storm looks a lot more focused on the eastern half of NC and most of SC now...must be because the low is transferring to the Atlantic. It looks far less organized than it did when it was still in the gulfm though the bands are very heavy in NC.

southeast.gif

Notice those lines beginning to pivot back across Tennessee and Ala.  They have to go somewhere...generally speaking,

Most of the modeling showed this as an elongated low as it got into the Atlantic, so I don't think so.  Looks like it's really starting to take on more of a NE trajectory.

Yes, its a good point. It has certainly become elongated as it transitions from the GoM to the Atlantic. By 2 it should be fully in the Atlantic, and that's consistent with the guidance.

I notice some pivot now as well.

I have to imagine the precip. shield will consolidate more over the next few hours, pivots and bands become more N/S oriented. The heaviest bands will still be in the eastern half of NC where the insane rates are, though the "deformation band" or comma cloud will probably produce some decent back end snow for upstate SC or parts of western Piedmont(Charlotte areas) as long as it's cold enough. You can see the comma cloud's left overs in N GA now based on the radar. That could consolidate into one healthy band.

This is what the radar should look like, if the HRRR is true.

1ref_t6sfc_f03.png

This is what the radar actually looks like.

rgnlrad.gif?1424927931939

Looks pretty close. The GSP radar sucks, generally, so I wouldn't get too upset about the exact color match there. The band structure is more or less right, and it looks great over central and eastern NC/SC.

Archived