amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6z GFS almost exactly same as 0z maybe fraction more wet but it held. And was thinking imaybe a tick more north would be nice.

Yeah looks pretty similar overall. At this point it would seem Euro is a bit overdone, but who knows. It looks like its gonna snow on Tuesday, and probably warning criteria for many. Then more Arctic cold and more snow chances. Fun week ahead.

calling PSUHoffman

This wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. I just don't pretend I am always right like some try too. I like that Mother Nature smacks me around sometimes to keep me humble. Anyways the models have trended towards putting everything into the lead wave and perhaps the storm in front is slightly weaker. That's allowing it to amp up and even slows enough to get some h5 support. It obviously has a shot now I was wrong about that. I still think the second wave would have been better positioned to really bomb out as the trough really digs in wed but the lead wave is obviously the one to watch now.

This wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. I just don't pretend I am always right like some try too. I like that Mother Nature smacks me around sometimes to keep me humble. Anyways the models have trended towards putting everything into the lead wave and perhaps the storm in front is slightly weaker. That's allowing it to amp up and even slows enough to get some h5 support. It obviously has a shot now I was wrong about that. I still think the second wave would have been better positioned to really bomb out as the trough really digs in wed but the lead wave is obviously the one to watch now.

jb will claim he nailed this even though his idea for this storm was way different

jb will claim he nailed this even though his idea for this storm was way different

I used to follow his stuff and I have to say back in the early 2000s I learned a lot from his blog but he went full tilt a long time ago and busts almost constantly. He simply forecasts the worst case scenario every storm. You won't be right much that way.

Encouraging words; we'll see how today's trends go ....

PROBABILISTIC HEAVY SNOW AND ICING DISCUSSION  
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD  
313 AM EST SUN FEB 15 2015  

VALID 12Z SUN FEB 15 2015 - 12Z WED FEB 18 2015  

MIDDLE-LOWER MS VALLEY TOWARD THE MID-ATLANTIC AND NORTHEAST  
COAST...  

MODEL TRENDS SUPPORT A NORTHWARD ADJUSTMENT AS WELL AS HIGHER  
PROBABILITIES TO THE SNOW AXIS FROM PARTS OF MISSOURI EASTWARD  
THROUGH THE OH-TN VALLEYS TOWARD THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION.
..WITH  
ADDITIONAL NORTHWARD ADJUSTMENTS TO ICE THAT EXTENDS FROM SOUTHERN  
ARKANSAS ACROSS PARTS OF NORTHERN MISSISSIPPI AND ALABAMA ALSO  
POSSIBLE IF THE NEW LOW TRACKS VERIFY.  HOWEVER...GIVEN THE  
NUMEROUS UNCERTAINTIES SUCH AS ARCTIC AIR HELPING TO RETARD THE  
NORTHWARD RETREAT OF THE ACCOMPANYING FRONTAL BOUNDARY...AS WELL  
AS THE COMPLEXITIES OF MID-LEVEL BANDING AND ROLE OF  
CONVECTION...ADJUSTMENTS OVERALL ARE MODEST BUT LESS CONSERVATIVE  
THAT WOULD PURELY BE SUGGESTED FROM THE DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE  
ALONE.  MODELS HAVE ALSO SHOWN LESS THAN AVERAGE RUN-TO-RUN  
CONTINUITY...WHICH IS ANOTHER REASON TO BE CAUTIOUS OF HUGE  
FORECAST ADJUSTMENTS.  THEREFORE...THE LATEST SNOW/ICE  
PROBABILITIES ARE WEIGHTED 50 TO 75 PERCENT TOWARD THE LATEST  
CONSENSUS...WITH THE REST WEIGHTED TOWARD THE PREVIOUS FORECAST  
FOR MESSAGING PURPOSES AND TO MINIMIZE THE NEGATIVE IMPACTS OF A  
FLIP-FLOP SHOULD FUTURE RUNS CHANGE THEIR TUNE. THE RESULT IS LOW  
TO MODERATE PROBABILITIES OF 8 INCHES OF SNOW FROM SOUTHEAST  
MISSOURI EASTWARD INTO THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN  
APPALACHIANS...WITH A BROADER AREA OF 4 INCH PROBABILITIES  
SURROUNDING IT THAT EXTENDS INTO THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION
AND  
BRUSHES THE NORTHEAST COAST FOR MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY.  

0z and 6z gfs is a lovely 2-4" back here in Ji land...looks to be locking in a bit. I do think only subtle shifts north with the precip field...not the low are still on the table but I'd bet a good call right now area wide is the 6z gfs....although if you blend in the other models it probably screams for a higher end result..nevertheless it appears it might snow!!!! Yay!

0z and 6z gfs is a lovely 2-4" back here in Ji land...looks to be locking in a bit. I do think only subtle shifts north with the precip field...not the low are still on the table but I'd bet a good call right now area wide is the 6z gfs....although if you blend in the other models it probably screams for a higher end result..nevertheless it appears it might snow!!!! Yay!

The 6z members are a bit north of those at 0z. I know people say don't use them but it has to mean something. But we all should remember that at 18z yesterday we basically had squat.

Archived