joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 14-15 Flizzard and Wind Event

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand offices are obligated to put out wind chill warnings, but if you're dressed properly, cold and wind really isn't a big deal.  I was just out walking around with Randy and it is 1 degree with gusty winds with some snow falling and some blowing snow, and it is fine out.  Warm socks, hoodie, winter jacket, hat gloves.  This stuff isn't that hard.  People get cold because they don't dress properly.  

Inactivity will do it also. I will be grilling outside tomorrow and sawing up some limbs. Even at 20* and 30mph winds with the activity, and sun, I will be Ok for 30-45 minutes at a time. Would be tough to do that right now though.

I understand offices are obligated to put out wind chill warnings, but if you're dressed properly, cold and wind really isn't a big deal.  I was just out walking around with Randy and it is 1 degree with gusty winds with some snow falling and some blowing snow, and it is fine out.  Warm socks, hoodie, winter jacket, hat gloves.  This stuff isn't that hard.  People get cold because they don't dress properly.

Don't forget the big grizzly Adams beard

Ready.gov tweeted out how to stay warm if you must go outside when it's below freezing today. Nanny state plus hypercrazed media = always freak out over everything that used to be normal.

Gotta love working for the gov't...no matter what we do we're wrong.

Temp down to 16 degrees at our Public Safety building in Gaithersburg.  Dew point now at zero, a true continental polar air mass.  

Gotta love working for the gov't...no matter what we do we're wrong.

Temp down to 16 degrees at our Public Safety building in Gaithersburg. Dew point now at zero, a true continental polar air mass.

I like gov... but gov likes to think it knows what's best for everyone which isn't generally true.

Ya...warnings for wind chills 15-25 below zero in DC. And stupid wind warnings for 60 mph gusts. Ridiculous. What a joke.

Where did I say anything about that? My comment above was about temps below freezing I just responded to another post.

Me and my dogs footprints from a quick walk are completely groomed smooth in less than 15 minutes. This really is a great event on many levels.

Totally agreed. I think how you see it depends on how much snow accumulated, but for anyone who accumulated over 1.5" of snow, this has been a winter wonderland with the ground-drifting continuing through the night. 

Front pushed through around 8pm tonight. Got a quick dusting with very strong winds. Colonial Heights Va near by, Fire and EMS had a report of a gust to 76mph. Went from 47 degrees down to 31 very quickly. Now 25/1 with frequent gust in the upper 30s to lower/mid 40s. It is howling out there. Bedroom on the NW side of the house. Going to be difficult to sleep tonight. Hoping to keep power. Lights have already been flickering, 6 times thus far.

Archived