amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2/12-2/13 Potential

EasternLI

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like I've seen a similar map a few times this year, huh? I think what we all want is to see this thing show quicker explosive development. At this point, we need to see the precip shield very expansive far to our NW, otherwise these storms are just going to keep jackpotting Boston and hammering ELI/SNE

we need a -AO to slow these systems down

Miller B systems make me sick, rarely does anyone west of Suffolk get big hits, they always seem to develop a hair too late/NE. I donlike where the GFS is going with that, H5 looks good and a slight improvement may have at least half the board in business.

The Miller B storms that work for NYC are the ones that have an -AO/-NAO pattern. Two of the storms in feb 2010 were miller b's. They developed further south and closed off south of LI thanks to fhe blocking upstream. We don't have that pattern in place, so New England will continue to be the jackpot.

we need a -AO to slow these systems down

Hopefully we can steal one of these big storms from this pattern before winter's up. On the maps, the storms and their precip shields are the equivalent of making a turn and driving after you see someone you know without enough time to stop. Boston is that person they always seem to pass once on the main road. One of the worst analogies ever for one of the most frustrating patterns.....not because we don't get much snow, but because we just miss a ton of it.

The Boxing day blizzard did not have downstream blocking. What it did have is a very amped synoptic setup, just like this storm. The difference, currently is, Boxing Day closed off East of Montauk, this wants to close East of Cape Cod. I'm not saying we will have the same outcome, but I'm bringing up the boxing day blizzard to make an important point: blocking isn't imperative for a big hit further inland. But if you lack blocking, you MUST have a very explosive setup such as what we currently have. It is possible for this to close off even sooner--just watch the trends....

The Boxing day blizzard did not have downstream blocking. What it did have is a very amped synoptic setup, just like this storm. The difference, currently is, Boxing Day closed off East of Montauk, this wants to close East of Cape Cod. I'm not saying we will have the same outcome, but I'm bringing up the boxing day blizzard to make an important point: blocking isn't imperative for a big hit further inland. But if you lack blocking, you MUST have a very explosive setup such as what we currently have. It is possible for this to close off even sooner--just watch the trends....

What factors would aid in this closing off sooner? Stronger jet? Deeper trough? More energized vort? What synoptic players made the Boxing Day storm close off sooner?

The way this gets closer to the coast is there is a retrograding SLP out of the BAJA , it helps pump the ridge and creates height falls closer on the EC  . The further west the ridge can get you can pull the trough axis back to the coast and then it comes down to can you close this off 3 hours earlier to get the more people on the  board .

As of right now its favoring the coast-  Long Island and central and eastern CT , but its not as far off as one would think . The GEM was not terrible .

I would not call .25- .50 at KNYC through minus 8 to 10 air a whiff . We are close . 

What factors would aid in this closing off sooner? Stronger jet? Deeper trough? More energized vort? What synoptic players made the Boxing Day storm close off sooner?

Well all of the above.

But really what I'd like to see is the coastal form a little sooner/further south west which through positive feedback and latent heat release would allow this to mature faster and move closer to the coast...

We just saw this trend on the gfs , 12z vs 6z. One more bump like that, and it changes a lot.

Well all of the above.

But really what I'd like to see is the coastal form a little sooner/further south west which through positive feedback and latent heat release would allow this to mature faster and move closer to the coast...

We just saw this trend on the gfs , 12z vs 6z. One more bump like that, and it changes a lot.

So there is realistic hope. Fingers crossed.

I saw a few people mention snow ratios. I see Upton and Mount Holly are forecasting high temps in the mid to upper 30s on Thursday. How would snow ratios be better than average with temps that warm? Seems like they would not be that great if the snow falls during the day. Maybe a different story if it falls Thursday night when it's colder?

I saw a few people mention snow ratios. I see Upton and Mount Holly are forecasting high temps in the mid to upper 30s on Thursday. How would snow ratios be better than average with temps that warm? Seems like they would not be that great if the snow falls during the day. Maybe a different story if it falls Thursday night when it's colder?

pls dont look at the nws serivce temps...especially this far out...they had me with a high of 38 a few days ago for tday and im at 23 degrees rn those temperatures are way to high.

that's before the storm, once the storm forms, it will yank in the colder air to the north-which is quite bitter, temps would crash once the storm cranks.

that's before the storm, once the storm forms, it will yank in the colder air to the north-which is quite bitter, temps would crash once the storm cranks.

regardless I doubt we go above freezing on Thursday! Nws is not that good to be honest. They've been busting a lot lately.

Look at the differences in surface temps just between the 06z GFS and the 12z GFS. The synoptic setup makes a big difference.

12z

gfs_T2m_neus_14.png

gfs_T2m_neus_3.png

Archived