amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2/12-2/13 Potential

EasternLI

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The jersey and lower Hudson valley folks are really going to HATE this storm -the one effecting us right now- if it's responsible for shifting the baroclinic zone too far east for them to see appreciable snows from this upcoming event as is currently being depicted on the GFS...

People west of the coast really need to see our current storm eject faster to the north east, because without that --even as a Miller B-- this setup would be dynamic enough for rapid cyclogenesis and moderate effects to be felt much further inland...

Yeah, another Long Island to SNE special, fantastic. Winter trully does pick one area to clobber each year. This year LI and NE are the big winners. I'm sure Long Island will figure out a way to get the most snow tonight as well.

Still have about a 10" snowpack out here so I can't complain. The combination of sleet and freezing rain today has made the pack even more durable.

even with only .30-.40 across the western portions of CWA with high ratios we could still see a light to moderate event.. any snow will just keep adding to the snowpack.

If you're a glass half full kinda guy, that's great, but in my opinion, a "light to a moderate event" in what looks to be arguably the best synoptic setup of the season thus far, would be a significant disappointment.

Regardless looking at qpf totals at this point is really not that instructive. Nothing is set in stone, and that's particularly true for qpf totals, as that is very difficult for models to resolve. And everyone in this forum is hoping this comes west as p-type issues are irrelevant, even for the coast.

If you're a glass half full kinda guy, that's great, but in my opinion, a "light to a moderate event" in what looks to be arguably the best synoptic setup of the season, would be a significant dissapointment.

Regardless looking at qpf totals at this point is really not that instructive. Nothing is set in stone, and that's particularly true for qpf totals, as that is very difficult for models to resolve. And everyone in this forum is hoping this comes west as p-type issues are irrelevant, even for the coast.

So interesting you say this is the best synoptic set up of the season ( arguably) even better than the blizzard that wasnt ( east of Suffolk)? What makes it so, would love to learn

I know this will likely change, but the NWS has snow/rain for Thursday with a high of 36F for my area.

If you're a glass half full kinda guy, that's great, but in my opinion, a "light to a moderate event" in what looks to be arguably the best synoptic setup of the season thus far, would be a significant disappointment.

So do you feel that this has a chance of trending NW with time? Agreed no issues at all with QPF types!!  Let's hope for the trend to begin.

IMO the danger is for this develop too far N/E (or late for us). If it pops off the delmarva/VA Capes I think we are in good shape for at least a 2-4" type deal. Certainly the more east you are the better, but having this thing pop south is good.

Thursday looks to favor favor the coastal locations.

The PD storm, IMO, has a chance of a much bigger impact for everyone.

IMO the danger is for this develop too far N/E (or late for us). If it pops off the delmarva/VA Capes I think we are in good shape for at least a 2-4" type deal. Certainly the more east you are the better, but having this thing pop south is good.

There is no change yet in this, The Upton AFD said at 4am the storm would pop off Delmerva but that would only give us 2 inches. Need better positioning for the 50/50 to get a capture and draw it west and/or block it from heading north east but rather NNE

So interesting you say this is the best synoptic set up of the season ( arguably) even better than the blizzard that wasnt ( east of Suffolk)? What makes it so, would love to learn

Beautiful PNA ridge that pushes all the way into central Alaska. Couple that with a longwave trough that drops all the way down through Florida. Classic example of Frigid Artic air meeting Warm subtropical, moist air, and where this boundary lies (right off the eastern) seaboard, is the location of rapid cyclogenesis. Additionally, embedded within the trough is a potent shortwave collocated with high levels of upper level vorticity which enhances mid-latitude cyclone development.

Beautiful PNA ridge that pushes all the way into central Alaska. Couple that with a longwave trough that drops all the way down through Florida. Classic example of Frigid Artic air meeting Warm subtropical, moist air, and where this boundary lies (right off the eastern) seaboard, is the location of rapid cyclogenesis. Additionally, embedded within the trough is a potent shortwave collocated with high levels of upper level vorticity which enhances mid-latitude cyclone development.

I see what you mean, the potential for explosive development is high & with frigid air over all we need for big smiles around here is a steady progression west and we are sitting very pretty in 72 hrs. Makes this next GFS run a fairly exciting one to say the least.

I know this will likely change, but the NWS has snow/rain for Thursday with a high of 36F for my area.

Just goes with the uncertainty. Looks like SW flow out ahead of the arctic front, before the coastal takes over--but anything that falls before the coastal develops is very light...I wouldn't put rain in the forecast for that reason, because it's negligible...but that's me...

Archived