Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2/12-2/13 Potential

EasternLI

GFS 18z came west about 75 miles. Good sign... Is it a trend? We shall see

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if this trended another 150 miles west with that positive pna trying to hook it right back towards it the coast. that would technically give the cape rain! But we could get heavy heavy snow 12+

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every other time the GFS has been west of the ECMWF/UKMET/CMC this winter with coastals  it shifted

more east to those model positions under 60 hrs. This would be a first for the GFS if it is correct.

I'm not going to debate that--but looking at this event in particular - all models have been trending west since 0z last night, except the Ukie I believe.

The GFS has been performing very well as of late. It's possible that it's ahead of the game and others are playing catch up. With that said, I don't like going with any solution that stands alone, GFS included--so we'll need to see other models trend toward it or confidence will remain very low...

I'm not going to debate that--but looking at this event in particular - all models have been trending west since 0z last night, except the Ukie I believe.

i feel like the ukie is too far east with coastals an than aways too far north with swfe...ive never been as impressed with that model as some people have

The GFS has been performing very well as of late. It's possible that it's ahead of the game and others are playing catch up. With that said, I don't like going with any solution that stands alone, GFS included--so we'll need to see other models trend toward it or confidence will remain very low...

The difference here is looking t the teleconnections. The s/w will be sampled at 0z (I believe it's on land in time)(edit) and the PNA is sky rocketing to a forecast +4sd. The EPO is crashing in this time frame as well as the NAO trending neutral. The AO I would really like to see it start moving towards neutral before believing the forecast ensembles on it showing ~neutral for this time frame. As jbenedet also pointed out, this s/w is going to be laden with energy and as such, other dynamics are introduced into the mix. The PNA itself could very easily get this done.

Yeah, it's refreshing not to have to be concerned with P-Types for a change.

Also you have to consider the fact that one of the main problems the gfs has had with east coast storms is "not handling the phase properly"...i have heard that alot and this time there is no phase and the gfs is known to be better with northern stream systems...just something to consider

Looks like the models might have a better handle on the energy once making complete landfall at 0z

Archived