• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

Obviously no science in this statement. But if anything I think we are due for a warm winter. The past 2 have been very cold. I would be surprised if we had a 3rd cold one in a row. And if we were to average above normal it does not mean it wont snow.

I agree on the snow cover tracking. I am still not convinced it means anything. 

I've said this to Ian but it really seems like the East coast is due for mundane, mild winter without any KU storms. From 09-10 onwards, every winter has had a major to epic storm somewhere on the East coast (even 2011-12 if you count October). It's been insane in SNE especially... I don't know if the law of averages means anything or is just a fallacy but my gut tells me things will probably slow down sooner or later. We can only have the world's coldest temp anomalies for so many winters before things are reshuffled.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Fozz. Cycles appear everywhere in weather patterns over multi year periods. We had a mega east coast hurricane cycle in the first decade of the 21st century. Coastal residents from tx to nc we're scared of their shadows. A friend of mine sold his obx house because he was certain it was going to get washed away because hurricanes were here to stay. Oops. There are many examples of things like this.

I have zero thoughts on next year but a much below normal east seems less likely than an aob one.

One thing I'm getting sick of is a persistent +nao. Dec-Jan came on over +1.5 each. Feb may as well. That's just not common and since Jan of 11 the + bias is stark. That will reverse at some point.

I dont care about temps as long as we don't roast. I'm sick of relying of sketchy setups to give us the snow we're getting. We should be very thankful for what we got this year.

I agree Fozz. Cycles appear everywhere in weather patterns over multi year periods. We had a mega east coast hurricane cycle in the first decade of the 21st century. Coastal residents from tx to nc we're scared of their shadows. A friend of mine sold his obx house because he was certain it was going to get washed away because hurricanes were here to stay. Oops. There are many examples of things like this.

I have zero thoughts on next year but a much below normal east seems less likely than an aob one.

One thing I'm getting sick of is a persistent +nao. Dec-Jan came on over +1.5 each. Feb may as well. That's just not common and since Jan of 11 the + bias is stark. That will reverse at some point.

I dont care about temps as long as we don't roast. I'm sick of relying of sketchy setups to give us the snow we're getting. We should be very thankful for what we got this year.

http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfsv2fcst/imagesInd3/glbSSTSeaInd6.gif

don't hit me, WinterwxLuvr made me do it     :o

21z SREF mean made a jump north for the Wednesday night system with the 0.10" line now north of DC.   Will this be the start of a northward trend in the guidance??

Just about to post that.... I have a feeling that this will be an interesting 0z suite... even though it will likely show in la-la land of the NAM -- aka last few frames of the run

Just about to post that.... I have a feeling that this will be an interesting 0z suite... even though it will likely show in la-la land of the NAM -- aka last few frames of the run

I didn't even realize Wed night was in play. 18z GFS was way south at tht time range. Gotta get my head back Iin the game.

what's odd about that sref run is that the 700mb and 850mb RH maps both look like a miss

maybe there's one member or family that's showing a big hit that's skewing the qpf? idk.....any thoughts?

DCA 21z SREF Plumes -- http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index2.php?YMD=20150222&RT=21&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=DCA&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=7&mLAT=37.606711416872095&mLON=-78.59679154381752&mTYP=roadmap

ARP1 crushes DC with a foot :lol:

NMN3/MBP3/MBP1 are 4-7" range

Every other member is below the mean (which is 1.41)

what's odd about that sref run is that the 700mb and 850mb RH maps both look like a miss

maybe there's one member or family that's showing a big hit that's skewing the qpf? idk.....any thoughts?

Probably means that only one or two members show a hit. 18z GFS tracked the low off Daytona Beach. 

ETA: Well it's more like 3 or 4 members.  Still a hater of this event, but I guess with no blocking the PV over New England could get shoved out of the way by an amped up southern stream.

This is going to get shown going to our west a lot, kinda like the last one started out as. This tine not the super arctic but better high location.

It actually almost looks like an overrunning event when it starts out

Meteogram at DCA suggests mainly all snow -- 25mm or so total accumulation :lmao:

ETA: Looks like GGEM is the only model that shows this "event"

ETAA:  Took a quick glance at the 12z EPS members, unless I am reading them wrong, it looks like some show the same idea as tonight's GGEM run

This.

It actually almost looks like an overrunning event when it starts out

Meteogram at DCA suggests mainly all snow -- 25mm or so total accumulation :lmao:

ETA: Looks like GGEM is the only model that shows this "event"

ETAA:  Took a quick glance at the 12z EPS members, unless I am reading them wrong, it looks like some show the same idea as tonight's GGEM run

00z NAVGEM scrapes us... best frame is 156

Archived