joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once the high slides off the coast the airmass will moderate very quickly even with cold wedged into ga. Frozen chances and what type will depend mostly on how quick precip can get in here. Upper air pattern looks pretty terrible for any low to pass south of us. Maybe something weak. The weak low traversing the lake in advance hurts as well.

I know much can change and agree it's a pretty stout antecedent airmass. But its on the move.

My main hope is to not get .5-1" of rain with temps above freezing. That would be a sad way to end a pretty damn good winter week.

Thump of whatever frozen-dryslot-fropa is my guess of a best case scenario.

The models didn't nail down even the right day for this past event at this range.... the NAM at the end of its run was focusing on the Tuesday night/Wednesday morning event that the GFS had shifted over to lock on to. I know you all know this and have commented on it, but again, the events outside of 72-hrs have not shown their final solution from late January through February so far. 

NAM looks like it may want to get things going by first thing Sat. morning or soon thereafter

You made me look. lol.  Just for the exercise...

18z gfs @ 90 digs the vort back towards vegas with slower progression. NAM is digging down through CO with faster progression Better confluence and heights above us as well...

But it's the nam @ 84. If the GFS looks like it in an hour then the mood will change in here. 

You made me look. lol.  Just for the exercise...

18z gfs @ 90 digs the vort back towards vegas with slower progression. NAM is digging down through CO with faster progression Better confluence and heights above us as well...

But it's the nam @ 84. If the GFS looks like it in an hour then the mood will change in here. 

fwiw, srefs looked the same, the last 2 runs

hey, I know it's the NAM at the end of its run, but it shows us a better scenario by starting 12 hrs.+ earlier......hmmm, starting early......sound familiar?    :weenie:

are we positive it's a "moisture package"?

all we really know right now, once again, is that a moisture package will travel somewhere east of the Mississippi into some cold air. Will it be Ohio Valley, Applchns, VA/NC border or off Georgia coast is unknown but all of those will be portrayed over next few days.

3" of rain for SNE, epic floods followed by a flash freeze. Upper 50s and rain for us.

I usually am ok with going back in time and looking at analogs, but I feel like this would just be such a chore to find. What are the analogs for DC to go from lower teens to rain and 50's the next day and then back down to the teens the next day? 

I usually am ok with going back in time and looking at analogs, but I feel like this would just be such a chore to find. What are the analogs for DC to go from lower teens to rain and 50's the next day and then back down to the teens the next day? 

1/17/1994 definitely had both cool days surrounding it.  It can happen if the high moves offshore and the flow amplifies, shorter  wavelengths at this time of year can make it easier.

Archived