joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly those individual members ... about half of them are wide right. So here is the deal either of this afternoon or tonight one of the two globals is gonna cave to the other. When that happens our fate will be sealed. One will be crowned king. And the other will follow suit. There will either be celebrations in the streets or mass depression.

Honestly those individual members ... about half of them are wide right. So here is the deal either of this afternoon or tonight one of the two globals is gonna cave to the other. When that happens our fate will be sealed.

Doesn't necessarily play out that way, and probably not going to seal any fate on today's runs. One doesn't have to cave to the other. Some middle ground scenario is possible. Still lots of moving parts/tming to be resolved.

Fwiw, the Euro seems to have nailed the upcoming blizzard for SNE well before the GFS. I was feeding a friend of mine who lives south of Boston model info a few days ago on what "may" happen based off the Euro, while at that time the GFS was further east and weaker and showing much less impact. GFS gradually trended to the Euro solution. Just for those who wanna say the Euro hasnt been performing well lately ;)

Doesn't necessarily play out that way, and probably not going to seal any fate on today's runs. One doesn't have to cave to the other. Some middle ground scenario is possible. Still lots of moving parts/tming to be resolved.

I know a blend is possible but it always seems like one caves to the other in some fashion. Any way a blend would signify the proverbial god granted mid atlantic middle finger

What worries me is a compromise doesn't work fir us. Right now we need the most amped solutions to win and that's not good.

What worries me is a compromise doesn't work fir us. Right now we need the most amped solutions to win and that's not good.

Yeah agree. What worries me a bit more is the Euro is so far way from what we want at this point, and as I mentioned, 3-4 days out it pretty much had today/tomorrows storm over NE nailed.

it looks okay but what is up with those lows in Georgia. That's probably killing the mean

Those might be the lows we want.  00z GFS had the surface low over Georgia at that time.

00z CMC ensembles support the op.  A little better than 12z, but not nearly as good as 00z GEFS. 

The 06z GEFS look like they backed off a bit.  The 06z GFS seems to have moved towards the other three 00z models, and I think the other models will probably move towards it at 12z.

Euro ensemble members are paltry. Not a single 6" solution and the vast majority do little if anything. Mean snowfall is barely 1". By far the worst run yet.

Seeing that and the op isn't very encouraging. I'm not discounting the GFS/GEFS but this is the range where we typically see agreement of sorts and not opposites. I really want the euro to bust bad of course but it would be unusual for the ensembles to be so far off at this range.

Euro ensemble members are paltry. Not a single 6" solution and the vast majority do little if anything. Mean snowfall is barely 1". By far the worst run yet.

Seeing that and the op isn't very encouraging. I'm not discounting the GFS/GEFS but this is the range where we typically see agreement of sorts and not opposites. I really want the euro to bust bad of course but it would be unusual for the ensembles to be so far off at this range.

Yeah its a bit worrisome. Euro seems to be performing better of late. See the current event, soon to be SNE blizzard. Had it nailed last Tuesday.

Fwiw, the Euro seems to have nailed the upcoming blizzard for SNE well before the GFS. I was feeding a friend of mine who lives south of Boston model info a few days ago on what "may" happen based off the Euro, while at that time the GFS was further east and weaker and showing much less impact. GFS gradually trended to the Euro solution. Just for those who wanna say the Euro hasnt been performing well lately ;)

what LWX is saying

if the euro is correct then wouldn't you have the gfs ensembles being "so far off" instead?  one way or another a set of ensembles is probably wrong but of course i'm not sure what the recent verification scores are for each model

I believe the euro and its ensembles busted pretty bad back in early Dec. with less lead time than this with what ended up being a non storm. 

do you think this could be a case of it holding too much energy back in the sw?

I tried to comment on this yesterday, but I couldn't post for whatever reason. It seems the EPS never stray too far from the Op.  Not sure why that is, but it's rare that they have huge disagreements it seems.  GEFS seem to truly "disagree" with the GFS Op far more often. 

Archived