CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
President's Day Weekend 2015 Storm Potential 2/14-2/15

bluewave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting both in such a short time frame would be very difficult it's either going to be Thursday's storm or this storm if we even get a storm at all.

Yes, getting both is very hard to do. Teleconnections for this storm are not nearly as promising as the Thursday potential. PNA remains positive, but to the tune of around +1.5sd. The AO is forecast to spike to around +1.5-2sd. The NAO is also forecast spike to a similar level. Yes the EPO goes pretty negative, but teleconnections are not overall that favorable for a big storm in this time frame.

Euro seems to be the mega hype model now. If the weenie wants to see a blizzard on the map, all he has to do is look at Euro. I wonder what happened to the Euro, it used to be great.

It has been overhyping things though. I've lost count of the number of times it has shown 1 to 2 feet of snow for NYC this winter.

Models don't "hype" - people do.  

That's why we need this to stay closed off like a bowling ball rolling through the Great Lakes to the coast. The ensemble mean

is more like the UKMET which opens up east of the GL and the surface low slips too far east before deepening.

But the OP and mean are pretty close through 120.

attachicon.gif120.gif

attachicon.gif144.gif

The progressive nature of the pattern with bad NAO and AO means this has to perfectly thread the needle for a significant impact. Initially there's something of a 50-50 feature but it's transient. Everything is being pushed off the coast-the trough is positively tilted over the Great Lakes and only becomes neutrally tilted near the coast. The trough has to be further west. 

The progressive nature of the pattern with bad NAO and AO means this has to perfectly thread the needle for a significant impact. Initially there's something of a 50-50 feature but it's transient. Everything is being pushed off the coast-the trough is positively tilted over the Great Lakes and only becomes neutrally tilted near the coast. The trough has to be further west. 

the amount of snow ive seen over the last 3 years WITHOUT a neg nao tells me that according to you "threading the needle" is pretty common.

the amount of snow ive seen over the last 3 years WITHOUT a neg nao tells me that according to you "threading the needle" is pretty common.

It's not just the NAO here though. As I said a few posts back, teleconnections for this storm are poor. A lack of a negative NAO can be overcome, but when you have an AO also trending towards +1.5-2sd, there's nothing to slow this storm down. Yes, you can have the storm close off perfectly and plaster the area, and that has happened, but it's what jm said, thread the needle.

It's not just the nao here though. As I said a few posts back, teleconnections for this storm are poor. A lack of a negative NAO can be overcome, but when you have an AO also trending towards +1.5-2sd, there's nothing to slow this storm down. Yes, you can have the storm close of perfectly and plaster the area, and that has happened, but it's what jm said, thread the needle.

i was reffering to the nao which is BY FAR the most overated teleconnection...this isnt wasington dc ive had two 20+ inch storms in the past two years wth a positive nao

H5 looked great on the GFS for the weekend storm. The surface should have been way better.6eq5u0.gif

It runs a piece of vorticity ahead of the main trough so it doesn't consolidate until the storm is well east. I was a little surprised to see a 498dm low just SE of NYC with the MSLP being 750 miles east of Cape Cod, but the trough does have neutral tilt and that energy is just a hair too late to consolidate. Going to be a close call, though. Definitely a lot of vorticity and baroclinicity to work with.

Eastern Long Island can be a different story with a redeveloping storm as we just saw, but the overall pattern with no blocking and a positively tilted to neutrally tilted trough isn't ideal for a big storm around NYC, that's for sure. Something has to slow the pattern down, or else yes, the area is on a razor's edge. 

But wow, whether the big storm happens in time or not, holy **** at the cold behind it. Would be an absolutely brutal 48 hours behind that.

Would be a brutal 2 weeks if you believe the GFS.  The last several runs have been consistently frigid.  We'll be ice skating on the Sound if that verifies.

February 1934 comes to mind, minus 2/9.  Shades of 2/79 also, but without the post freeze torch.

Would be a brutal 2 weeks if you believe the GFS.  The last several runs have been consistently frigid.  We'll be ice skating on the Sound if that verifies.

February 1934 comes to mind, minus 2/9.  Shades of 2/79 also, but without the post freeze torch.

This could very well be a wild ride. Latest Euro indicates the storm is on to some extent, though the surface could be better. But the combination of wind, brutal cold, and some snow at the very least, could be historic.

WX/PT

Archived