wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
President's Day Weekend 2015 Storm Potential 2/14-2/15

bluewave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I look into this, we might have a decent chance for a widespread inverted trough event. Take a look at the March 7-8th 2013 set-up which produced a widespread 5-12" across N/C NJ, NYC, LI (10-20" in Boston of course). The coastal low was well offshore, but the interaction with the upper level vort over NY State allowed for the formation of the inverted trough feature extending NW. Given the presence of this upper vortex in upstate NY, and the energy rounding the base of the trough, this is actually a classic pattern for an impactful / widespread inverted trough.

I think this is our best shot w/ the event.

29y1ame.gif

2d18iyw.jpg

zqzr.jpg

"On Thursday, March 7, a shortwave that was previously over southern Canada tracked southeast, splitting into a closed upper level low and reaching western New York, where it began to interact and phase with the upper level low associated with the main coastal low. This setup resulted in the low pressure stalling while becoming more negatively tilted, with a surface inverted trough stretching northwest into the Northeast US region, where widespread heavy snow developed and persisted into Friday, March 8. The storm finally exited the region on Friday evening as the interior ULL tracked offshore, phasing with the coastal ULL."

http://www.nycareawe...-storm-summary/

Idk how you can say it's been a tough winter... Since Jan 15th I have received 26" inches of snow with my total for the winter currently at 31". Also with the two pending storms could make a shot at 40" and it would only be mid Feb. We are still going to be in a very active pattern. Light to moderate events add up big time to our seasonal totals.

Never said no snow, I said "tough" referring to complete and udder failure by most models on several occasions... I would concider not seeing much of anything all of December and the better part of January as well as having a blizzard warning for 18-24" 6hrs prior to event and getting a dusting a tough winter.

Not to mention a good winter for you does not mean everyone Is having a good winter

Never said no snow, I said "tough" referring to complete and udder failure by most models on several occasions... I would concider not seeing much of anything all of December and the better part of January as well as having a blizzard warning for 18-24" 6hrs prior to event and getting a dusting a tough winter.

Not to mention a good winter for you does not mean everyone Is having a good winter

I agree 100%. I think part of the problem is that for everyone south of NE, this winter has not lived up to its hype.

I agree 100%. I think part of the problem is that for everyone south of NE, this winter has not lived up to its hype.

It's cliche but its true, models are trending to a favourable hit for NE yet again with the rest of the upcoming threats.. Not sayin it can't or won't jump back and hit us, but if we're gonna follow model trends why are we ignoring seasonal trends?

I don't buy the inverted trof setup with this, the 500/700/850 wind flow looks too strong to me, I think either the surface low forms further west and everyone from NJ to NNE is bombed or we miss completely.

Strongly agree. That H5 setup has a textbook look to it. If not for that runaway vort, the storm would form much closer to the coast, take the BM route, and we all be hammered. I'm not saying this will be the outcome, but something that needs to be watched as a possibility.

The highest baroclinic zone with this will be pretty far east over the Atlantic and the momentum of this thing will be swinging NW to SE.  That will probably force the surface low to form east and make it difficult to wrap mid-level moisture very far back to the NW.

The whole trof structure would probably need to form further west and become negatively tilted earlier to pull this thing tight to the coast.  I've seen these strong Ohio ULLs deliver a few times before.  It could happen again but the synoptic look needs to change quite a bit.

Surprised not much excitement about this system. Seems it's shaping up to be a decent event for a good portion of the region, and not far off from something much bigger.

Too many rollercoasters this winter, need to be closer and see much more model consistency before full on weenie excitement commences.

Archived