• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
President's Day Weekend 2015 Storm Potential 2/14-2/15

bluewave

Every model save the GGEM has us in 1"-4" now, my map from early yesterday still looks spot on, very high confidence with the forecast.

The SV maps for the Euro had the entire area in the 2-4" range and they are highly conservative. 850mb temps are going to be at least -12 to -16C by Saturday night. Ratios are going to be very high.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like 1-3 type deal now....next week will probably end up being our 6+ event. Gfs has been deadly with the northern stream this winter.

Agreed the main story this weekend will be the strong winds (close to High Wind criteria) and bitterly cold wind chills. There will probably be a strong burst of snow delivering like you said 1-3".

I agree! Look forward to a pack refresher....we are running out of time so I will take what I can get. Hopefully next week we get 6 and ice

I'll wait for the Euro to cave before declaring victory for the GFS. At two days out we still have plenty of time for things to change. The energy responsible for this is still near the Arctic Circle.

I agree! Look forward to a pack refresher....we are running out of time so I will take what I can get. Hopefully next week we get 6 and ice

I agree allsnow, let's enjoy the next upcoming 2 weeks, after that we will be into March and the curtain starts to fall on snow chances. I'll be happy with a 1-3 of powder and unmodified arctic cold afterwards

I'll wait for the Euro to cave before declaring victory for the GFS. At two days out we still have plenty of time for things to change. The energy responsible for this is still near the Arctic Circle.

LOL THIS...am i really seeing pretty much evryone give the gfs the win wen he euro and ggem havent caved yet....LMAO

Given the current models' signatures, even though the overall snowfall may be light, could we see blizzard like conditions due to the high winds?  (given that technically a blizzard is sustained winds of over 35 mph for 3 hours and less than .25 miles visibility).

Obviously this would not be considered a blizzard by most folks standards, with an expected 1-3"/2"-4" snowfall, based on the GFS, for NYC.  But what warnings would be issued in a case like this for NYC?  WWA with a high wind warning?

Also, what is causing such diversity in the different models to come up with such widely varying predictions?

Archived