joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
President's Day Weekend 2015 Storm Potential 2/14-2/15

bluewave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isentropic: Agreed completely. Hope for run to run improvements and try to get in the jackpot zone within 36-48 hours of the event. Unlike past events, there is a lot of room for error here, as we need to see what tomorrow's storm does before having any idea where this weekend's storm is going. If I recall correctly, the slopfest storm the Friday prior to the blizzard bust was a big reason the storm hit even the areas it did. We'll need tomorrow's storm to help slow things down in similar fashion (and hope the outcome is better for us in NYC).

Isentropic: Agreed completely. Hope for run to run improvements and try to get in the jackpot zone within 36-48 hours of the event. Unlike past events, there is a lot of room for error here, as we need to see what tomorrow's storm does before having any idea where this weekend's storm is going. If I recall correctly, the slopfest storm the Friday prior to the blizzard bust was a big reason the storm hit even the areas it did. We'll need tomorrow's storm to help slow things down in similar fashion (and hope the outcome is better for us in NYC).

The energy responsible for this is currently up over the Arctic circle in a very poor sampling area. Even worse than the systems out over the Pacific.

In this case the amplitude and strength of this energy will be very important factors in determing the final outcome, but on paper this is a powder keg. That's why you're seeing explosive deepening once the trough goes negative tilt.

Two things with this...

1) The system is coming directly from the Arctic circle. It will have plenty of fresh, cold air to work with.

2) The moisture will be limited until the surface low develops and flips the winds in off the ocean. We really need this to get its act together a lot sooner, and the only way that's going to happen is if the 500mb low is able to dig further southwest and give this more time to turn the corner.

IT: I agree. You are far more well-versed in this stuff than I am. I'm sure there are differences between this and the blizzard bust, but hopefully things work out this time for NYC and points west. At least we've got the "powder keg"; now we need the spark. Either way, I still believe there is time for this to trend towards us in a big way. We're 84 hours out (72 when we get the new model runs). Obviously that has not been the case this winter, but hopefully this storm is the exception.

Archived