joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
President's Day Weekend 2015 Storm Potential 2/14-2/15

bluewave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PB, what are your thoughts with this? Do you think the GFS folds to the other models at 0z or does GFS score a coop?

500 MB on the EURO GEM UKMET JMA look great !

I  $%^&* hate INV .  There should be some snow through the area and it`s a nice powder ,.

I think the easy forecast is once again that Boston gets crushed . 

For us , You going to have to wait to see this vort get better sampled and see which model bows to the other . Would like to see this at 0z tomorrow and see what the trend is  

The EURO looks like it wants to develop a second low S of the BM . Lets see if that`s a trend 

500 MB on the EURO GEM UKMET JMA look great !

I $%^&* hate INV . There should be some snow through the area and it`s a nice powder ,.

I think the easy forecast is once again that Boston gets crushed again .

For us , You going to have to wait to see this vort get better sampled and see which model bows to the other . Would like to see this at 0z tomorrow and see what the trend is

Got ya, the thing that gives me pause is the fact that the euro ensembles from last night did not support much of anything around the area, only the operational showed an event. I know we have the canadian, ukie and jma with hits in one form or another, but can we rely on them? This is a tough one

Got ya, the thing that gives me pause is the fact that the euro ensembles from last night did not support much of anything around the area, only the operational showed an event. I know we have the canadian, ukie and jma with hits in one form or another, but can we rely on them? This is a tough one

The guidance aloft at 12z  rallied in our favor ( x the GFS )  . We are not that far off from a great solution . But it`s early . 

ens have followed the op a couple times in showing big hits for this area the past few events,hasn't really meant much

it'd be nice to see them on board regardless though

There will be blocking prior to this event, albeit less than ideal and east based. The NAO dips to -1 SD this weekend as the mid level ridge expands near Iceland / Scandinavia. This does aid in somewhat slowing down the vorts in the upstream flow, while not as effective as a west based block, is often a feature in our events. So to say there's no blocking is inaccurate. We have a strongly negative EPO / positive PNA w/ higher than normal heights encompassing the entire region from Siberia through western North America, and an east based -NAO spike. Only the AO is truly unfavorable here. We also need to consider the potency of the vort itself, and its ability to amplify and pump heights ahead of it.

Great info today guys! These threads have been great for getting info out. Nice job

I agree less banter and more serious discussion. I just dont want people diving off a cliff when the 18 Z GFS shows 1/10 of 1 inch. patience, patience. For all intents and purposes , we simply need to get .75 QPF to all be very happy, with ratos factored in. Then we lock in artic cold and play snow roulette with the next overunning event

two reasons why I wouldn't dismiss the GFS. 1. It's the best model. 2. It's better with northern stream systems miller b's. Navgem is my favorite underrated model I wonder what is this model showing?

The NavGEM looks more like the other models than the GFS FWIW, the NavGEM has been surprisingly good this last month or two inside Day 4 on storm details in this area.

I agree less banter and more serious discussion. I just dont want people diving off a cliff when the 18 Z GFS shows 1/10 of 1 inch. patience, patience. For all intents and purposes , we simply need to get .75 QPF to all be very happy, with ratos factored in. Then we lock in artic cold and play snow roulette with the next overunning event

0z tonight should be telling. Normally, I'd say the GFS is an outlier, toss it, but again, this is a northern stream system. But as of right now it's GFS vs the world, pending what the euro ensembles show....

If the models trend towards the 500mb low near VA then this would be a monster for all of us. There is some blocking as Isotherm alluded to, so if the models pick up on those features it could make a world of difference

i agree. Imo I think the models are still catching up and as far as I know I think this only trends as a bigger storm. And it could be huge! Foot or more nyc and north!

Yet again, the ensembles don't agree with the operational. Don't be surprised to see the models trends back towards GFS tonight IMO

ur just guessing there. The trend here is for a bigger and snowier storm. GFS will come around especially the fact that it already showed a monster inverted trough just yesterday. We are inside of 100 hours or less and we are sitting at a good seat sort of speak and let this thing really play out. Isotherm made me happy when we mentioned the east coast blocking and a -1 NAO could only slow this amplification down and really build the heights as soon as the storm goes offshore. Like yanksfan said we want this thing to really dig and turn just south of Atlantic city!

Archived