joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
President's Day Weekend 2015 Storm Potential 2/14-2/15

bluewave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 500mb low on the NAM ends up over NE PA. And that's at hr 84 when the NAM is usually way too far northwest.

I now have zero doubt in my mind that this is coming south.

Me neither. This is going to be a big deal for saturday IMO. Snowgoose is right, when the GFS and NAM agree like that, the GFS solution is almost always wrong

LOL, seriously?

There was one last year of 12.5".

And there have only been 22 in the last 56 years. It's not a common occurrence.

Historically speaking but there is reason to believe while we are trending towards a tighter or somewhat shorter window for the winter season that more extreme or high impact precipitation events might be the norm or occur more regularly in the future.

ha ha ha exactly. These kids today I'll tell ya. :lmao:

They didn't live through the 80s. It's like Yankee fans born after 1991.

Historically speaking but there is reason to believe while we are trending towards a tighter or somewhat shorter window for the winter season that more extreme or high impact precipitation events might be the norm or occur more regularly in the future.

Perhaps that's true, but it's historically rare.

Unfortunately it has become the 'norm' to many who don't look at the big picture.

In the 21 years from 1979-80 through 1999-2000, there were only 3 foot+ storms.

In the 15 years since, there have been 9. It's definitely become more common, but remember we live in NYC, not the snow belt.

I'm doubtful of this really hitting us hard (especially S and W of WLI), however if we're going to really examine the long range NAM, it was an improvement over 12z. Not a deal breaker, but definitely not a terrible thing to see something more favorable

NAM made significant swings and adjustments on the last couple storms once inside of 60 hrs. I'd wait another day before taking anything on the NAM seriously. But the fact it's near the GFS currently does give pause to just trying to hug the Euro/GGEM solution.

Folks are just spoiled around here.   NYC From 1984 to March 1993 had very little in the way of decent storms....that's a decade of essentially nothing....especially when you compare it to what's gone on here in the last 10-12 years. 

I'm glad you pointed that out. I was telling this to my son today dropping him off at Pre-K; basically, Daddy never had winters like this when he was a kid. (He's 4. He doesn't understand)

My best friend (who is now a professional met) and I used to watch TWC religiously as kids... and were disappointed every year running until 1994. When you're a kid, it was an eternity.

Folks are just spoiled around here.   NYC From 1984 to March 1993 had very little in the way of decent storms....that's a decade of essentially nothing....especially when you compare it to what's gone on here in the last 10-12 years. 

I think of that as the period when folks who don't like snow got spoiled and developed unrealistic expectations of winter.

Archived