Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
President's Day Weekend 2015 Storm Potential 2/14-2/15

bluewave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nothing of significance.

I thought it looked a bit worse but you're right just noise. However, the troubling part is this, it's consistent. Consistently a non event for us run after run even with the new data it just got. If it was jumping around or if this was a miller a coming out of the gulf, I would dismiss it, however, this is a totally different story. Let's see what the ggem, ukmet and euro do shortly

I would like to remind everyone that the GFS had a long duration snow event for the NYC area for 4 consecutive days last storm.  Could this solution be right?  Absolutely.  But this jumping off cliffs because one model shows a bad outcome for NYC is just ridiculous.  Especially when the storm isn't supposed to be cranking for 72-84 hours from now.  You'd think we're 6 hours from the event the way people react.

I don't really follow the whole "caving" bit. It's not as if any of the other model solutions are spectacular for us.

We're not all from Dutchess county, for some of us 6+ inches of snow falling with temperatures in the low teens and 50 mph wind gusts, is a big deal.

I would like to remind everyone that the GFS had a long duration snow event for the NYC area for 4 consecutive days last storm.  Could this solution be right?  Absolutely.  But this jumping off cliffs because one model shows a bad outcome for NYC is just ridiculous.  Especially when the storm isn't supposed to be cranking for 72-84 hours from now.  You'd think we're 6 hours from the event the way people react.

At the end of the day, the models ended up too far south and west, just like with every storm this winter at this range. If the other models tonight stay robust, this can be something to keep an eye on, but if they retreat north and make this a New England special, it might be time to tune this one out. This has to really dig and go neutral tilt at least before it can make a real impact beyond places that have been getting snowed in like crazy already. 

At this point you just have to look at what's happening in SNE and how many ways it can screw places south of there and just laugh. 

lol i love that you're always positive (stronger man than I am!), however, this year a positive attitude with storms has just led to disappointment

What's the point of always being negative?

I don't really follow the whole "caving" bit. It's not as if any of the other model solutions are spectacular for us.

:huh:

You'll have no shortage of cold breezes on the GFS.

I guess... I'm not looking for huge snowfall totals as that is a low probability, but a low end warning snow with those temperatures and the winds depicted by the euro would be awesome. Let's see what the rest of the guidance looks like.

At the end of the day, the models ended up too far south and west, just like with every storm this winter at this range. If the other models tonight stay robust, this can be something to keep an eye on, but if they retreat north and make this a New England special, it might be time to tune this one out. This has to really dig and go neutral tilt at least before it can make a real impact beyond places that have been getting snowed in like crazy already. 

At this point you just have to look at what's happening in SNE and how many ways it can screw places south of there and just laugh. 

There is no doubt that SNE has been favored this winter.  And every single storm has found a way to screw us so far.  But all it takes is one storm to buck the trend.  I think the telling signs will be when tomorrow's storm bombs and exits.  We need that to be in position to help us out with the trough position, etc.  Hopefully it works out for us. 

Archived