joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does NYC temps always torch way higher than me when we get low temperatures. I didn't even get to my predicted high today (20F) , got to 18F. While NYC busted high (Got to around 26F). I live in a urban area, about 15 miles west. Near Maplewood, NJ.

26? Manhattan is reading at 20. Queens and Brooklyn are at 18 and 19, respectively.

20? Im reading 25 on TWC.Com

There is and has been a problem with the thermo at Linden airport for quite awhile...it is a known problem and yet it continues to send reports...If your location is nearby it may be the default station for you..I know I sometimes see it for my location when I visit some websites.. Very annoying that its allowed to continue.

Screw you!  Let me know the next time you're traveling through the OC on 17 so I can hang you the finger from an overpass!  

Remember that?  Those were the good days, before people got so thin skinned and defensive.

I don't go up much anymore. :(

My mom has rented her place out the last couple of summers.

Why does NYC temps always torch way higher than me when we get low temperatures. I didn't even get to my predicted high today (20F) , got to 18F. While NYC busted high (Got to around 26F). I live in a urban area, about 15 miles west. Near Maplewood, NJ.

Use this: http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KNYC.html

Don't use TWC. Change KNYC for any site you know.

What a thread. I don't really even bother reading storm threads here anymore. I feel bad for BxEngine. His job must suck...having to take care of his own kid(s?) and at the same time having to take care of the nyc subforum where half of you act like grade schoolers.

Yeah it's bad but for him not so much he's gonna get a nice 6" storm and according to upto I'm getting nothing. I'm going down with the ship that that's not happening. 2" in wantagh before any rain minimum. Maybe and I mean maybe out over fire island they get less then an inch being south of all the ice

What a thread. I don't really even bother reading storm threads here anymore. I feel bad for BxEngine. His job must suck...having to take care of his own kid(s?) and at the same time having to take care of the nyc subforum where half of you act like grade schoolers.

You basically have to delete 70-80% of the posts in there to make it readable.  It's awful, no one mod should have to deal with it by him/herself.

One important thing I am learning is that there are times not to argue a point here....when you overtly debate someone on an issue, you imply that their point of view may well have credence and merits inclusion in what could be deemed "the mainstream" of thought on a particular topic. However, if you decline to argue viewpoints that are outside the mainstream on those very grounds, you can potentially isolate fringe views...which serves to simultaneously weaken them while strengthening your own position.   

One important thing I am learning is that there are times not to argue a point here....when you overtly debate someone on an issue, you imply that their point of view may well have credence and merits inclusion in what could be deemed "the mainstream" of thought on a particular topic. However, if you decline to argue viewpoints that are outside the mainstream on those very grounds, you can potentially isolate fringe views...which serves to simultaneously weaken them while strengthening your own position.

Bingo

Thanks guys. The crescent moon is probably one of the hardest things to properly expose for in a photograph. I took a bunch of frames with the goal of blending them to preserve detail in both the crescent and earthshine parts of the moon, but got lazy and just picked the one that looked closest to reality.

You f'ing killed it.  What a photo.

Thanks guys. The crescent moon is probably one of the hardest things to properly expose for in a photograph. I took a bunch of frames with the goal of blending them to preserve detail in both the crescent and earthshine parts of the moon, but got lazy and just picked the one that looked closest to reality.

i saw this tonight and thought what a fantastic picture that would be. You most certainly got a photo of what it looked like to my eye. Great shot!

Archived