• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

The cars kicking up all the salt on the main roads today created a foggy appearance lowering

the visibility a bit. It looked like driving on a country dirt road here on Long Island today.

I was trying shoes on in Nordstroms ( not buying; too expensive ) and I noticed I was getting salt dust on the soles from the store's carpet, which is near the entrance. Plus all the roadside shrubs are white with it. We really need a soaking rain.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was trying shoes on in Nordstroms ( not buying; too expensive ) and I noticed I was getting salt dust on the soles from the store's carpet, which is near the entrance. Plus all the roadside shrubs are white with it. We really need a soaking rain.

Lots of dead vegetation on the roadsides come Spring. Looks like snowfall. I've never seen so much salt on the Interstates in my life.

the loan shark that was portrayed in mean streets might as well have been the guy around the block from me...I thought it was based on him...his uncle who was in jail for years was rubbed out after he was released...I remember walking home from the subway and the street was blocked off with yellow tape and his body was still lying on the sidewalk...

Ya know Unc, the other day I got into a road spat with a garbage truck driver. It was green and I thought it was waste management  or midco. So I went at it with the dude. Then I noticed it was a private hauler out of Newark. I got a little worried after that. One of the reasons NJ had so many EPA sites is the Philly and NY mobs used to dump a lot of illegal stuff here. The notorious Kin Buc landfill in Edison had a little creek oozing into the Raritan that would catch fire spontaneously. I recommend the film A Most Violent Year; not strictly a mob film but is about the oil heating business in the city in 1981. These kids today don't know what the subways looked like back then. Or how snowless the winters were....

It also gets into the local water supply.

From last winter:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/winter-runoff-adding-more-than-a-pinch-of-salt-to-north-jersey-s-drinking-water-1.842140

So much salt has been making its way into the water supply that customers of a number of water utilities in the Northeast, including United Water, which serves North Jersey, have complained that their water tastes salty. “That’s a good marker that we’ve had a tough winter here,” said Howard Woods Jr., a private water industry consultant.

The Passaic Valley Water Commission, which provides drinking water to Paterson, Passaic, Clifton and other towns, has also seen sodium levels rise — at one point it was three times normal levels, said Joe Bella, the commission’s director. Too much sodium can exacerbate problems for people on low-salt diets for hypertension and other conditions.

The weekend storm looks to be a mostly rain event. If anything it'll be more like a cold front more than anything else. I don't think we should worry about flooding unless the future model runs show a more robust and east storm. If it cuts that west there's not going to be a big event here for rain or snow IMO

Just jumping right in after registering, huh? Good for you. Wanna introduce yourself?

Pazzo is just angry...pitchers and catchers reporting this week and somehow the nationals have underperformed already.

Weren't they once called the Senators?   Walter Johnson and others? Now that guy could pitch...

They were parking trains in the express tracks over the weekend (thus shutting down all express service) for MTA's "cold weather plan".  It was 20F.  I mean, really?

Pretty MO post. When we had Hurricane Sandy, Louisiana peeps where like "it barely even rained" "wasn't even a hurricane was a tropical storm" "winds made it to 100 mph? psh, thats nothing try dealing with a cat 4".

Pretty MO post. When we had Hurricane Sandy, Louisiana peeps where like "it barely even rained" "wasn't even a hurricane was a tropical storm" "winds made it to 100 mph? psh, thats nothing try dealing with a cat 4".

Ike was a huge deal in Texas and was a cat 2. It's the size that matters ;) <<<creepy winking face

Washington-

First in War,

First in Peace,

Last in The American League

(And on the cumulative snowfall charts)

I'm old enough to remember the old Washington Senators...Jim lemon, Bob Allison and of course Harmon Killabrew...I saw the Yankees play the nats in Washington in 1964...Jim King was their best hitter...Mickey Mantle got two hits including a drag bunt single...yanks won that hot day...

I'm old enough to remember the old Washington Senators...Jim lemon, Bob Allison and of course Harmon Killabrew...I saw the Yankees play the nats in Washington in 1964...Jim King was their best hitter...Mickey Mantle got two hits including a drag bunt single...yanks won that hot day...

That is awesome

Archived