joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SuperBowl Storm Observations

sferic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was convinced this was a 1-3" slop then sleet then rain ending as flurries event. Oops.

It depends on where you were. For some of us west of the city, it basically was that only 2 to 4 rather than 1 to 3. Glad people to the east cashed in with the afternoon band of snow. I hope some of us west of the city start catching up this winter. Missing the blizzard really set us back.

Down to just light snow now. 22F. That heavy band was a nice powdery snow.  It is blowing around a little now, but it is really going to drift when the winds kick up later.

Here is what it looked like about an hour ago:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/109142731850640716661/posts/hjHydPwyLE2?pid=6111360204278821522&oid=109142731850640716661

30" on the season, which sounds unbelievable after such a terrible December.

Just an insane last 15 days.

You've had more than me in Dobbs Ferry...I'm at 27" after today's snowfall.

We should all finish well above average with the progged pattern. I expect February to be much colder than average with at least one more significant coastal storm, perhaps next Sunday/Monday. We also may pick up 2-4" or more on Thursday. This is turning into an epic stretch, the likes of which we haven't seen since...last winter.

Seriously, not quite like last winter yet but still a decent cold season. Arctic temperatures with lows in the single digits tonight and well over a foot of snowpack. Will be conducting depth measurements in the woods behind my house later.

I was convinced this was a 1-3" slop then sleet then rain ending as flurries event. Oops.

I got out at about 7am and there was about an inch of slush left from the early am 2-3 here.

That rain changed back to freezing rain and then sleet before the final 2.8". Just a little

less amplitude like the models had than other day and this would have been all high ratio

snow. Toughest area of the country for P-Type variations over 20-30 miles combined with the 

highest population density to forecast in. 

You've had more than me in Dobbs Ferry...I'm at 27" after today's snowfall.

We should all finish well above average with the progged pattern. I expect February to be much colder than average with at least one more significant coastal storm, perhaps next Sunday/Monday. We also may pick up 2-4" or more on Thursday. This is turning into an epic stretch, the likes of which we haven't seen since...last winter.

Seriously, not quite like last winter yet but still a decent cold season. Arctic temperatures with lows in the single digits tonight and well over a foot of snowpack. Will be conducting depth measurements in the woods behind my house later.

Keep in mind the tri state area has been split in half this winter. Great winter for NYC and points east, not so much to the west. I'm still waiting for my first significant snowstorm in Hunterdon County this winter. I consider significant 6+. It has only been an ok winter in most of NJ so far.

I got out at about 7am and there was about an inch of slush left from the early am 2-3 here.

That rain changed back to freezing rain and then sleet before the final 2.8". Just a little

less amplitude like the models had than other day and this would have been all high ratio

snow. Toughest area of the country for P-Type variations over 20-30 miles combined with the

population density to forecast in.

Like I posted earlier.... I went to sleep and it was snowing heavily and had 2.4"...probably ended up with 3" (but cannot confirm) before the changeover which was 30-45 mins away according to dual pol. Woke up at 730am to about an inch of slop.

I got exactly 4" with this last band which is shocking bc I expected to measure 2" when I got home. Nice event here.

Keep in mind the tri state area has been split in half this winter. Great winter for NYC and points east, not so much to the west. I'm still waiting for my first significant snowstorm in Hunterdon County this winter. I consider significant 6+. It has only been an ok winter in most of NJ so far.

I am around 48 inches for the season so far. Not terrible.

NYC ended up with 3.2 for the day, 3.5 for the event on the 440 climo report so they may have broken the daily record with a correct earlier measurement as I think they were off 1.8-2.0 or so

. That's such a BS measurement. It was 4.5" by 5 AM and then it snowed at least 1.5" in that last band. Should be a min of 6" for this storm at KNYC. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West-Central NJ has really been screwed the last few winters...a lot of storms have just missed over there, including 12/19/09 (huge on Long Island), 12/26/10 (huge in eastern NJ and NYC), and 1/12/11 (huge in Westchester and SNE). Although you guys have been above average most winters, the largest snowfall anomalies have clearly been located over Long Island and NYC. Westchester has also gotten into the party...I had 68" in 09-10, 70" in 10-11, and 74" last year. Interior locales have not been as lucky.

Archived