joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SuperBowl Storm Observations

sferic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the high points of the 80's for me was attending a small conference at the old NWS office and meeting

several of the meteorologists that I only knew by voice from NOAA Weather Radio. The office had the huge

WW2 style radarscope, plotting table next to the Difax machine, and NOAA Weather Radio booth. I stayed as long

as I could talking to the forecasters and didn't want to leave. It was really cool seeing the new OKX office for the

first time shortly after it opened.

That's awesome!

Bluewave, that's awesome! You'll never forget that memory. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone

That's awesome!

It was an interesting conference. Al Roker gave an opening speech and several of the forecasters made

brief presentations on some recent weather events. The office was very low tech compared to today

but it worked for a long time until the modernization. That location was great since it was in the middle

of everything.

Annnd it's snowing again.  Light to moderate with a good solid N/NW/NE wind, it really is swirling but seems to be mostly from the NW now.  There are gonna be some killer drifts in the morning.  

Callin' it at 12" today.  The early 8" got about 2" of kitchen sink dumped into it through the afternoon then the tail end dropped another 2+ of fluff on top.  Nearly four hours of shoveling and the driveway banks are between 5-6' the whole 80' length and about 6' thick at the bottom.  Great storm!

Ok so I'm awake after a roller coaster night.

Number one the zoo needs to go. We had 6" at 116 and broadway during round one. It's totally screwing up the climate record. Upton guys if you read this it's serious stuff

Two we had about 3" in round one in wantagh which was mostly slush when got home. I took a nap expecting ice an woke up to 4" of powder!!!!!!

7" on the day not bad for the south shore. And our pack is legit glacier.

Number one the zoo needs to go. We had 6" at 116 and broadway during round one. It's totally screwing up the climate record. Upton guys if you read this it's serious stuff

Two we had about 3" in round one in wantagh which was mostly slush when got home. I took a nap expecting ice an woke up to 4" of powder!!!!!!

How much is on the ground total? Looks from pictures a lot of the snow from last week was wiped out.

Thank you for basically confirming my total. When I saw Bluewave come in with 2.8", I rechecked again and it was still 4" lol. Chalk it up to difference between towns. Doug (Dsnowx53) came in with 3.5" with that band.

How much did you have last week?

How much is on the ground total? Looks from pictures a lot of the snow from last week was wiped out.

Hard to say but it's around a foot including the 4" of powder during the band I slept through. My

Mom said It was a white out.

Lb has less I'm sure but we are doing well as we had a major net gain today. There was still about 2" of slush left after the rain so it all got soaked up. Then we had about .2 of ice and then 4" of powder (2.5 in lb I think)

All in all allot like feb 94

it's snowing again folks as those mini bands are right over me in the bronx.the last hurrah perhaps?..the upton measurement is really off,you can obviously see the water to snow ratio and come up with the real amounts also the measurement from the nws is from parkchester the [email protected] inches.im located farther nw near riverdale and yonkers hence the 8-9 inches total snowfall up here,make a line across the hudson river and they also have just about the same amounts in northern nj.might just be the nws covering their derrieare again.or just shotty reporting?.

Hard to say but it's around a foot including the 4" of powder during the band I slept through. My

Mom said It was a white out.

Lb has less I'm sure but we are doing well as we had a major net gain today. There was still about 2" of slush left after the rain so it all got soaked up. Then we had about .2 of ice and then 4" of powder (2.5 in lb I think)

All in all allot like feb 94

Too bad the Lido and Long Beach guys don't post totals anymore, to at least get an idea. I saw on Facebook that there were lots of spinups and accidents in town from the freezing rain-if anything it might have been worse down there since it may have waited longer to go back to snow. Nothing's worse than freezing rain, I used to hate it with a passion up at PSU. It's destructive-it will knock trees down and cut your power in the dead of winter, not to mention paralyze whatever it touches-not fun. Hopefully what's around sticks around for a while after it all freezes into a brick. 

I'm glad I somewhat busted on this, since I thought the ESE winds would push in from the coast and warm things up more than they did. Obviously the Central Park measurement is a joke-who actually buys that they had 1" less than JFK and surrounding stations had 6"? 

Too bad the Lido and Long Beach guys don't post totals anymore, to at least get an idea. I saw on Facebook that there were lots of spinups and accidents in town from the freezing rain-if anything it might have been worse down there since it may have waited longer to go back to snow. Nothing's worse than freezing rain, I used to hate it with a passion up at PSU. It's destructive-it will knock trees down and cut your power in the dead of winter, not to mention paralyze whatever it touches-not fun. Hopefully what's around sticks around for a while after it all freezes into a brick.

I'm glad I somewhat busted on this, since I thought the ESE winds would push in from the coast and warm things up more than they did. Obviously the Central Park measurement is a joke-who actually buys that they had 1" less than JFK and surrounding stations had 6"?

It's not a joke it's a travesty. It's screwing up the climatological record big time. I hope someone important sees this.

Archived