joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SuperBowl Storm Observations

sferic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West-Central NJ has really been screwed the last few winters...a lot of storms have just missed over there, including 12/19/09 (huge on Long Island), 12/26/10 (huge in eastern NJ and NYC), and 1/12/11 (huge in Westchester and SNE). Although you guys have been above average most winters, the largest snowfall anomalies have clearly been located over Long Island and NYC. Westchester has also gotten into the party...I had 68" in 09-10, 70" in 10-11, and 74" last year. Interior locales have not been as lucky.

Not to mention I got like 4 inches from the blizzard last Monday while NYC got a foot and parts of LI got more than 2 feet. It's strange because we're supposed to be favored in this area, but areas to the east that are supposed to miss out because they're usually warmer keep getting pounded instead. Just bad luck out here lately but it has to change eventually.

Not to mention I got like 4 inches from the blizzard last Monday while NYC got a foot and parts of LI got more than 2 feet. It's strange because we're supposed to be favored in this area, but areas to the east that are supposed to miss out because they're usually warmer keep getting pounded instead. Just bad luck out here lately but it has to change eventually.

Suffolk county has been roll since December 2009 with 6 over 20" months at Islip.

Islip monthly snow 

Dec...09....25.3"

Feb...10....21.7"

Jan...11....34.4"

Feb...13....31.4"

Feb...14....21.0"

Jan...15....30.2"

A trained spotter at the park put in 4.7" and I confirm that as I measured almost identical. But the official park measurement was under 2.8

Sent from my iPhone

Did you or he report it? That's the only way to keep things honest.

Newark only reported 4.6" so the 3.5 isn't crazy, but obviously seems a bit low.

It's crazy. I live right by the park and it's 6".

It is absolutely 150% outside the realm of possibilities. Newark reported 4.5 but 4.2 of which was on front end. LGA which is what, 10 miles away? Reported 5.2 on front end. They measured at 545 am after an hr of heavy sleet and freezing rain. They're supposed to measure at precip transitions but it doesn't always work out.

Edit: I was responding to yhbrooklyn I agree the park likely got 6 altogether

Did you or he report it? That's the only way to keep things honest.

Newark only reported 4.6" so the 3.5 isn't crazy, but obviously seems a bit low.

Another trained spotter reported it. I'm trained but I didn't call it in. I measured 4.6 around 5am this morning. We got about 1.5" with that afternoon burst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And what pisses me off is a just heard two TV mets say the city got 3.5" UGH! And then everyone walks around saying the city only got three inches. MISINFORMATION! Upton should take the Zoo offline for reporting snow. Use your trained spotters. Geez.

And what pisses me off is a just heard two TV mets say the city got 3.5" UGH! And then everyone walks around saying the city only got three inches. MISINFORMATION! Upton should take the Zoo offline for reporting snow. Use your trained spotters. Geez.

Sent from my iPhone

I miss the old days when the NWS crew at 30 Rock would run down for measurements.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/12/nyregion/neighborhood-report-new-york-weather-central-park-zoo-workers-stalk-elusive.html

Sent from my iPhone

Yep, looked like my 2-4 worked out just perfectly.

Sigh. Those were the good old days.

Sent from my iPhone

One of the high points of the 80's for me was attending a small conference at the old NWS office and meeting

several of the meteorologists that I only knew by voice from NOAA Weather Radio. The office had the huge

WW2 style radarscope, plotting table next to the Difax machine, and NOAA Weather Radio booth. I stayed as long

as I could talking to the forecasters and didn't want to leave. It was really cool seeing the new OKX office for the

first time shortly after it opened.

And what pisses me off is a just heard two TV mets say the city got 3.5" UGH! And then everyone walks around saying the city only got three inches. MISINFORMATION! Upton should

take the Zoo offline for reporting snow. Use your trained spotters. Geez

100% agree. We could use LGA instead of CPK We should just purge out the bad data. Simply remove the faulty reporting station and be done with it.

-Jason

Sent from my iPhone

One of the high points of the 80's for me was attending a small conference at the old NWS office and meeting

several of the meteorologists that I only knew by voice from NOAA Weather Radio. The office had the huge

WW2 style radarscope, plotting table next to the Difax machine, and NOAA Weather Radio booth. I stayed as long

as I could talking to the forecasters and didn't want to leave. It was really cool seeing the new OKX office for the

first time shortly after it opened.

Bluewave, that's awesome! You'll never forget that memory. Good stuff.

Archived