joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February pattern discussion

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highly doubtful any of that transpires until the EPO changes. 

Wake us when it does

Yeah, objectively ...I'd like to see the EPO actually succeed in flipping signs, too -- and said as much in caveat emptor. There are reasons to question/suspect that... 

I also get the feeling that NCEP looks over more types of data then we think.  Then in these discussion types, ...they don't elucidate what all those are. Especially not Cisco; he's the one paragraph wonder when it comes to writing those discussions.  Back in the big season of 1995-1996, I remember reading those discussions while an undergrad at UML, and they were always far more detailed ... going into the tedious relationship between teleconnector domain spaces and so forth.. Then afterward, wrap ups like 'how it effects the dailies.'

We don't get that effort anymore.  Just "PATTERN CHANGE" - three sentences - "ONE LAST ARCTIC" ...done.  There are others that give more, but still not nearly enough 'reasoning' is supplied. One of the reasons why I developed my own skill to read these teleconnectors, and visualize how the weather patterns may modulate out in time, was because I used to read those longer detailed discussions, then experiment how it reflected in the pattern verifications and so forth.   I don't think the new comer can benefit nearly as much from what NCEP currently provides in that regard.  There's too much one dimension analysis when it comes to -NAO, or +EPO, where the user's interpretation stops at the basic definition of what those mean, for example.

Yeah, objectively ...I'd like to see the EPO actually succeed in flipping signs, too -- and said as much in caveat emptor. There are reasons to question/suspect that... 

I also get the feeling that NCEP looks over more types of data then we think.  Then in these discussion types, ...they don't elucidate what all those are. Especially not Cisco; he's the one paragraph wonder when it comes to writing those discussions.  Back in the big season of 1995-1996, I remember reading those discussions while an undergrad at UML, and they were always far more detailed ... going into the tedious relationship between teleconnector domain spaces and so forth.. Then afterward, wrap ups like 'how it effects the dailies.'

We don't get that effort anymore.  Just "PATTERN CHANGE" - three sentences - "ONE LAST ARCTIC" ...done.  There are others that give more, but still not nearly enough 'reasoning' is supplied. One of the reasons why I developed my own skill to read these teleconnectors, and visualize how the weather patterns may modulate out in time, was because I used to read those longer detailed discussions, then experiment how it reflected in the pattern verifications and so forth.   I don't think the new comer can benefit nearly as much from what NCEP currently provides in that regard.  There's too much one dimension analysis when it comes to -NAO, or +EPO, where the user's interpretation stops at the basic definition of what those mean, for example.

That's probably never changing either. Too much effort is being put into graphics now, because people would rather look at an image than read why something is supposed to happen.

Down at the local level, all our text products are dying breeds really. The ZFP is pretty much a useless product now when you can get the forecast for your 2.5 km grid (regardless of what you may think of the wording of the point and click).

That's probably never changing either. Too much effort is being put into graphics now, because people would rather look at an image than read why something is supposed to happen.

Down at the local level, all our text products are dying breeds really. The ZFP is pretty much a useless product now when you can get the forecast for your 2.5 km grid (regardless of what you may think of the wording of the point and click).

:facepalm:

Shame shame shame...  And, in an indirect way, another example of how technology (quite ironically) dumbs down the same society smart enough to invent it in the first place.  

What are your personal feelings on that?  Is it the demands of the consumers driving that modus operandi?  

:facepalm:

Shame shame shame...  And, in an indirect way, another example of how technology (quite ironically) dumbs down the same society smart enough to invent it in the first place.  

What are your personal feelings on that?  Is it the demands of the consumers driving that modus operandi?  

That's pretty much it.

AFDs used to contain serious technical discussion, but the comments from the general public have morphed it into a product where we have to explain things in simplified terms without diving too deep into the weeds. It would be hard for me to muse about the long term today, because we'd get complaints that people don't know what the EPO is, for instance.

I almost think we've swung too far to that side honestly. That we're so concerned with nice, clean graphics that we're forgetting to focus on the impacts of the actual event.

That's pretty much it.

AFDs used to contain serious technical discussion, but the comments from the general public have morphed it into a product where we have to explain things in simplified terms without diving too deep into the weeds. It would be hard for me to muse about the long term today, because we'd get complaints that people don't know what the EPO is, for instance.

I almost think we've swung too far to that side honestly. That we're so concerned with nice, clean graphics that we're forgetting to focus on the impacts of the actual event.

I figured it was demand.  It always is in such matters.  I suppose our field/industry is subjected to the same short sighted nonsense that pervades the "idiocrasy."  Heck, one day we may actually try and convict people for being smart :)

You know, it's like people sitting in SUV dense traffic, pumping out industrial farts, ...on their way to some environmental activist think tank charged with strategizing the education of the common consumer ... not to use fossil fuels, lest serve climate doom unto the planet.  

It's always up to J.Q. Public.  It's not really the Government anything.  It's not the big corporations that sponsor oil, or rely upon it, either (regardless of moments of indirection). It's all about demand demand demand demand.  Cut off the demand, toxic industries disappear immediately.   

Not to sound like 'one of those' but seriously... this business with apathy and laziness (let's call a rose a rose for a moment...), which is what it is when people don't care to learn the Meteorology, it's a lack of virtue that almost approaches an immorality in a lot of ways.  

It's entirely possible that technology will one day experience some sort of set back on a global scale; it would catapult everyone's SOL (..standard of living, but ironically, they would be sh!t outta luck!) back to something more primal.  The purest among us that care to know how things work, those are the ones who will survive such a scenario -

I figured it was demand.  It always is in such matters.  I suppose our field/industry is subjected to the same short sighted nonsense that pervades the "idiocrasy."  Heck, one day we may actually try and convict people for being smart :)

You know, it's like people sitting in SUV dense traffic, pumping out industrial farts, ...on their way to some environmental activist think tank charged with strategizing the education of the common consumer ... not to use fossil fuels, lest serve climate doom unto the planet.  

It's always up to J.Q. Public.  It's not really the Government anything.  It's not the big corporations that sponsor oil, or rely upon it, either (regardless of moments of indirection). It's all about demand demand demand demand.  Cut off the demand, toxic industries disappear immediately.   

Not to sound like 'one of those' but seriously... this business with apathy and laziness (let's call a rose a rose for a moment...), which is what it is when people don't care to learn the Meteorology, it's a lack of virtue that almost approaches an immorality in a lot of ways.  

It's entirely possible that technology will one day experience some sort of set back on a global scale; it would catapult everyone's SOL (..standard of living, but ironically, they would be sh!t outta luck!) back to something more primal.  The purest among us that care to know how things work, those are the ones who will survive such a scenario -

I couldn't agree with you more.

Not to be hypocritical because I, too have been guilty of it since I left college.

Technology has made life too easy and convenient. Society has grown lazier, more impulsive and dangerously predisposed to instant gratification. There is s point of diminishing returns, and I think we are there. Cognitive skills are on the decline.

Smartphones are the largest culprit.

I figured it was demand. It always is in such matters. I suppose our field/industry is subjected to the same short sighted nonsense that pervades the "idiocrasy." Heck, one day we may actually try and convict people for being smart :)

It's always up to J.Q. Public. It's not really the Government anything. It's not the big corporations that sponsor oil, or rely upon it, either (regardless of moments of indirection). It's all about demand demand demand demand. Cut off the demand, toxic industries disappear immediately.

It's entirely possible that technology will one day experience some sort of set back on a global scale; it would catapult everyone's SOL (..standard of living, but ironically, they would be sh!t outta luck!) back to something more primal. The purest among us that care to know how things work, those are the ones who will survive such a scenario -

Two words: Carrington Event.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Not to be hypocritical because I, too have been guilty of it since I left college.

Technology has made life too easy and convenient. Society has grown lazier, more impulsive and dangerously predisposed to instant gratification. There is s point of diminishing returns, and I think we are there. Cognitive skills are on the decline.

Smartphones are the largest culprit.

It is a paradox should humanity's evolutionary course end because the ability to invent means to improve survival prospects led directly to our demise. I'll keep this philosophical sojourn brief, but it will be perhaps humanity's greatest accomplishment, should we survive this technological infancy. I once heard a scientist argue for the uniqueness of our existence by asking, "if the universe is teaming with intelligent life, where are they?"  Maybe none of them passed that test?  At least none in electromagnetic shouting distance...   

Anyway, to be clear: 

between now and ~ March 7, your winter game is still on.  If you are of the ilk that can't find happiness/worth to life without the prospect of dystopian snow depths and unthinkable cold, you are going to be challenged to hold it together -- either way -- as there is some truth to the calendar argument/solar insolation gradually eroding the atmosphere's ability to bring the goods. But, technically that shouldn't really become hugely factorable until our latitude reaches past the ides of March.  Until then, don't fret and kvetch merely because there is no storm to actually follow in the charts. 

like Fri which is currently ots? Seems uneventful to me but that's why you make the big money, I'm obv wrong.

Mar 2nd and Mar 5th look semi interesting...it doesn't have to show a fantasy blizzard in clown range to be considered a threat. A shortwave with some impulse along it at that lead time is perfectly adequate to be considered a threat.

This week looks toast, though can't rule out something small near week's end.

like Fri which is currently ots? Seems uneventful to me but that's why you make the big money, I'm obv wrong.

Well I would say March 5th was something despite QPF output..March 8th and other events that aren't pretty verbatim..but it's active. You know how it goes though..every run will be different.

Well I would say March 5th was something despite QPF output..March 8th and other events that aren't pretty verbatim..but it's active. You know how it goes though..every run will be different.

Oh you're thinking like way out there. I'm not good enough to do that. I'm looking inside 180hr and don't see much. I like early next week though, at least I did but looks warm atm.

Oh you're thinking like way out there. I'm not good enough to do that. I'm looking inside 180hr and don't see much. I like early next week though, at least I did but looks warm atm.

Oh yeah sorry...I thought you meant the run itself. Anyways yeah early next week is probably the more legit deal..but could be milder too. Late this week is a stretch, but I suppose something like isn't unreasonable.

Your area was modeled to do well, i figured you were above .50 with 7 or 8 inches that fell for you.

I just was thinking that for all the posts that go into talking about models and even QPF before an event, i rarely see posts on how things turned out. I wonder if any model was not too dry for my general area (from Bos to BVY to BED).

Your area was modeled to do well, i figured you were above .50 with 7 or 8 inches that fell for you.

I just was thinking that for all the posts that go into taking about models and even QPF before an event, i rarely see posts on how things turned out. I wonder if any model was not too dry for my general area (from Bos to BVY to BED)

seemed like most model s,leading up had that max in swct to Kevin then tapered NE. The SVT stuff was there too.

seemed like most model s,leading up had that max in swct to Kevin then tapered NE. The SVT stuff was there too.

Yup sw ct to Tolland area was highlighted very consistently on the models i looked at.

I didnt even look toward S VT but judging by radar and a few on the ground posts during storm N berks to S VT had a solid 8-12" (i would think) at elevation. I saw Mt Snow reported a solid foot .

"Sneaky" Big pack out there in parts of S VT.

Archived