joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February pattern discussion

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long Island area:  I looked at the GFS and GEFS through their entire runs and they keep it frigid through 3/7-3/10. Don't think our next 32 degree crack is due to us around the ides of March.  The EPO will keep it frigid through mid-March.  I like the depiction of early next week major snow fall to moderate ice storm on the 6Z GFS, looks about right too.  Don't buy the warm cutter one bit on the Euro, we know that is 100% wrong in the pattern.  My take on 2/23-3/15: 18 inches of snow, and only one day above freezing for the high.  I am 65-70 % confident of this verifying, and let's see how I do once it is 3/15/2015.  I bet some of you agree that this could be right too.  For you New Englanders I think you have 3-4 weeks of true winter still ahead before any thaws come.  The leftovers of February and first half of March looks frigid and snowy and or icy.  The second half of March looks like the end and probably closer to normal temps. Don't think above normal yet with frigid ocean temps and all the snow cover to eventually melt.

Long Island area: I looked at the GFS and GEFS through their entire runs and they keep it frigid through 3/7-3/10. Don't think our next 32 degree crack is due to us around the ides of March. The EPO will keep it frigid through mid-March. I like the depiction of early next week major snow fall to moderate ice storm on the 6Z GFS, looks about right too. Don't buy the warm cutter one bit on the Euro, we know that is 100% wrong in the pattern. My take on 2/23-3/15: 18 inches of snow, and only one day above freezing for the high. I am 65-70 % confident of this verifying, and let's see how I do once it is 3/15/2015. I bet some of you agree that this could be right too. For you New Englanders I think you have 3-4 weeks of true winter still ahead before any thaws come. The leftovers of February and first half of March looks frigid and snowy and or icy. The second half of March looks like the end and probably closer to normal temps. Don't think above normal yet with frigid ocean temps and all the snow cover to eventually melt.

should be interesting

Models have struggled with similar setups this month. Still cold, but I expect models to be at least a couple of degrees too low.

Not with CAA . It will drop all day with sun. They struggle this time of year on cold sunny days with no wind.. being too low. Like Tuesday at first look you'd go low teens..but adjust for warm sun angle gets you 18-19

Not to be a debbie downer and bring up the end of winter days here, but, wondering if things finally go full on unfavorable for conus cold by mid-march...we lose the PNA by march 1 of course, but the wpo/epo hangs on. Seems like there is a risk we lose the epo at least though with further retrogression afterwards. i see very little hope for a -nao/ao developing in the next few weeks so im assuming thats status quo here.

Not to be a debbie downer and bring up the end of winter days here, but, wondering if things finally go full on unfavorable for conus cold by mid-march...we lose the PNA by march 1 of course, but the wpo/epo hangs on. Seems like there is a risk we lose the epo at least though with further retrogression afterwards. i see very little hope for a -nao/ao developing in the next few weeks so im assuming thats status quo here.

nobody is being a Debbie if they see spring coming,lol winter will end

nobody is being a Debbie if they see spring coming,lol winter will end

Lol I never know who I'm going to piss off in here talking about warm ups. Either way, I'm open to the pattern discussion if anyone has thoughts/ideas..That's sort of where my head is wandering towards as March progresses, but I'm still skiddish with such an impressive Pacific setup that would want to favor the pattern weve seen so prevalent of late

navy-anom-bb.gif

Not with CAA . It will drop all day with sun. They struggle this time of year on cold sunny days with no wind.. being too low. Like Tuesday at first look you'd go low teens..but adjust for warm sun angle gets you 18-19

BDL, MMK, DXR and IJD all up one degree last hour. BDR and HVN up two degrees. Models FTL. It's almost Morch, I mean, March.

Cohen's research took a collosal dump this season. 

Lol I never know who I'm going to piss off in here talking about warm ups. Either way, I'm open to the pattern discussion if anyone has thoughts/ideas..That's sort of where my head is wandering towards as March progresses, but I'm still skiddish with such an impressive Pacific setup that would want to favor the pattern weve seen so prevalent of late

navy-anom-bb.gif

I guess those w coast temps and the feedback mechanism argue for some sort of ridging to want to sustain itself there, (it has) what I'm saying is would any +EPO tend to be transient given those w coast + sst's and/ or just keep getting pushed back as we get close

navy-anom-bb.gif

Talk about at +PDO lol

BDL, MMK, DXR and IJD all up one degree last hour. BDR and HVN up two degrees. Models FTL. It's almost Morch, I mean, March.

yup, BDR made it up to 25 and BDL up to 20 today despite forecasts for steady or slowly falling temps all day.  Took till late PM for temps to really dive.  It's definitely not January anymore!

• 2 months later...

US model CFSV2 continues hinting at the almost unthinkable for the NE: A challenge to FEb 1934. Amazing

JB did get one of his extreme predictions right. :lol:

Still can't believe the cold we had. Just relentless cold. The absolute peak outbreaks weren't obscene by our standards, but it was just relentless how many nights in the single digits and below 0F with highs in the teens and low 20s.

Still can't believe the cold we had. Just relentless cold. The absolute peak outbreaks weren't obscene by our standards, but it was just relentless how many nights in the single digits and below 0F with highs in the teens and low 20s.

Average temperature of 4F for the month of February pretty much sums it up. Almost equal time spent below zero as time spend above zero.

coldest and snowiest month EVER, nuff said, Feb 15 is the new standard

coldest and snowiest month EVER, nuff said, Feb 15 is the new standard

One the cool statistics about this February is that the big blizzard didn't occur in that month. You would think that in the winter of 2014-2015, the snowiest month would have included the HECS blizzard. But it didn't.

Does JB have bad credibility?

I think it's not good in the public eye of meteorologists. But you have to realize that clients who pay JB do get a slightly different take than what you see on your twitter feed. He is more realistic and a bit less speculative. At least he was when I saw his pay stuff years ago while he was hyping in public.

JB is also a very intelligent meteorologist when it comes to large scale weather patterns so he can back up a lot of his stuff with reasonable arguments even if you don't agree with him.

Archived