joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Coastal Storm This Weekend

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter what, there's certainly going to be mixing issues on the coast and possibly NYC during the early hours of the storm before turning over to complete snow as the system bombs out.

That said, the system does not seem to close off completely according to the models. What are the chances it does?

"Closing off" is completely overrated.  When a storm closes off, the mechanisms responsible for vertical lift begin to weaken. 

Frontogenesis is basically lift due to rapidly strengthening thermal gradient... sharpening between temperatures on both sides of the low. This enhances mid level lift and precip rates.

Sorry for the stupid question, maybe this belongs in the banter thread but what does the purple above nyc indicate?

I think people are getting a little carried away here. Especially for the coast (including NYC's boroughs).

To me this looks like a 2"-5" front end, followed by a 3-6 hour period of sleet/mix/rain and then depending on where the 500mb low closes off, then the CCB will go from mix/rain to heavy snow for everyone.

Euro has the 500mb low closing off just south of LI. In that scenario, the CCB would probably drop 4"-8" alone. If we can get the 500mb low to close off even further south, then we can be looking at higher amounts. But if it closes off too late, like the GFS at 12z did, then the CCB would be 2"-5" type of snow fall.

A good early forecast, IMO, would be 4"-8" with rain/mix at the coast at the surface low's closest approach.

While Jan. 26-27, 2011 scenario looks fairly similar, the 500mb low closed off well south of the area, allowing for the CCB to be well developed by the time it got here and thus dropping 8"-14" in that band alone.

100000% agreed

I think people are getting a little carried away here. Especially for the coast (including NYC's boroughs).

To me this looks like a 2"-5" front end, followed by a 3-6 hour period of sleet/mix/rain and then depending on where the 500mb low closes off, then the CCB will go from mix/rain to heavy snow for everyone.

Euro has the 500mb low closing off just south of LI. In that scenario, the CCB would probably drop 4"-8" alone. If we can get the 500mb low to close off even further south, then we can be looking at higher amounts. But if it closes off too late, like the GFS at 12z did, then the CCB would be 2"-5" type of snow fall.

A good early forecast, IMO, would be 4"-8" with rain/mix at the coast at the lows closest approach.

While Jan. 26-27, 2011 scenario looks fairly similar, the 500mb low closed off well south of the area, allowing for the CCB to be well developed by the time it got here and thus dropping 8"-14" in that band alone.

Do you honestly believe that 1.25" liquid is likely with those dynamics? Should have been closer to 2". Then give me 12:1 ratios and you have 24". I don't see how that's out of the question. I'm not giving out a public forecast, just speculating.

You would be right somewhere if the current euro verified verbatim. Super strong and dynamic storms have areas of enhanced precip that aren't going to show on a long range global. Not an analog but 12/10 and 2/13 both exhibited that trait.

Now let's see what really happens. One run of one model. Odds are high that the met area sees it's first 6+ of the season though

"Closing off" is completely overrated. When a storm closes off, the mechanisms responsible for vertical lift begin to weaken.

Yes, but to my understanding, if you're in the correct position when it closes off, you get rocked. But yes, closing off means it becomes vertically stacked and therefore it begins to fill.

United States Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer

Wait a second 500 mb low closing is 100% a key to getting a ccb. How do you get precip to expeand to the west and nw of a low. You need mid level spin to the west of the surface low ( surface low yielding colliding air along the front ) to carry precip back to the west and nw. So the premise it's not the case is wrong.

Once again, its a little to early to get into the specific details. For now the 6"-10" amounts that DT mentioned seems fine and that can always be increased or reduced later since we are still 2.5-3 days away from this event. I am just excited to see a major storm on the models for us and the potential of seeing a plowable significant snowfall is rather high.

987mb south of the benchmark. It's colder for the coast than the GGEM and ECWMF but the best dynamics are offshore. Funny how the trough axis was West and yet the surface low ended up further southeast.

less northern stream interaction depicted here until it's already at your latitude.  but not sure why you'd take the nam at face value outside of it's useful range anyway. 

Archived