joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Coastal Storm This Weekend

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Canadian PCPN loop actually shows NYC going over to mix/rain for about 8 or 9 hours. Wouldn't that cut way down on accumulations? It's not like the changeover is very brief. I know it's only 1 run.

Yes, that's why NYC wouldn't see the highest accumulations if that occured. JP zone is MMU to HPN to BDL

The Canadian PCPN loop actually shows NYC going over to mix/rain for about 8 or 9 hours. Wouldn't that cut way down on accumulations? It's not like the changeover is very brief. I know it's only 1 run.

The GGEM warm bias at this range is as understood as the GFS `s South and East bias .

Do not take P types 72 hours out literally .

Somewhere in between the GGEM and GFS may be your forecast .

The Euro will probably show you at 12z , match them up and look for continuity .

The GGEM warm bias at this range is as understood as the GFS `s South and East bias .

Do not take P types 72 hours out literally .

Somewhere in between the GGEM and GFS may be your forecast .

The Euro will probably show you at 12z , match them up and look for continuity .

I realize that. I was just pointing out that this particular run shows NYC accumulations cut way down by a lot of mixing. Next run might be back to mostly snow. It's still very early.

Agree it would cut down.  Verbatim the GGEM is not a big hit for NYC , the Jersey coast or Long Island.  You have to get north of 80

and west of 287 for 6"+ amounts.  Some of the analysis in the forum is wretched.

JMA being honked as possible bit hit with a 540 thickness from north of BOS to AVP to PIT does not look like a potential big hit

for metro NYC to me.  That low looks like it will track very close to the coast.  Dynamics can only do so much it will not straw into gold.

The CMC 850 low track is too close to coast for all snow in the immediate metro area.  You have to get to the areas outlined above

for mostly snow.  Even there with an 850 track like that it could taint.

I know it is only one run but I'm just trying to accurately state what the model shows.

The CMC and JMA are to close in for my pleasure and I'm near MMU.

I'm ready to get slammed now.

Agree it would cut down.  Verbatim the GGEM is not a big hit for NYC , the Jersey coast or Long Island.  You have to get north of 80

and west of 287 for 6"+ amounts.  Some of the analysis in the forum is wretched.

JMA being honked as possible bit hit with a 540 thickness from north of BOS to AVP to PIT does not look like a potential big hit

for metro NYC to me.  That low looks like it will track very close to the coast.  Dynamics can only do so much it will not straw into gold.

The CMC 850 low track is too close to coast for all snow in the immediate metro area.  You have to get to the areas outlined above

for mostly snow.  Even there with an 850 track like that it could taint.

I know it is only one run but I'm just trying to accurately state what the model shows.

If you live near MMU you need a NAM/GGEM track or you won't see much of anything out of this.

Agree it would cut down. Verbatim the GGEM is not a big hit for NYC , the Jersey coast or Long Island. You have to get north of 80

and west of 287 for 6"+ amounts. Some of the analysis in the forum is wretched.

for metro NYC to me. That low looks like it will track very close to the coast. Dynamics can only do so much it will not straw into gold.

The CMC 850 low track is too close to coast for all snow in the immediate metro area. You have to get to the areas outlined above

for mostly snow. Even there with an 850 track like that it could taint.

You are correct verbatim.

First piece of our system that has been diving down from Canada and the NW is located over WY this afternoon, while the second piece is slowly moving through Arizona and beginning to produce snow in Texas. The RAP has both these pieces phasing together by late today or early tomorrow morning in addition to the clipper in the NE (that plays a large role on the evolution of the weekend storm) startibg to bomb out as it moves well offshore. Once we can get these pieces to phase and the clipper to move offshore, we should have a much better handle on the situation come tomorrows 12z runs. 

Valid: 12:30pm 

ScreenHunter_110Jan211232.png

Valid 5am Jan 22nd

rapSW_500_avort_018.gif

All models phase it tonight...so not sure why bring up the rap model.....which btw is not a good model to use.

First piece of our system that has been diving down from Canada and the NW is located over WY this afternoon, while the second piece is slowly moving through Arizona and beginning to produce snow in Texas. The RAP has both these pieces phasing together by late today or early tomorrow morning in addition to the clipper in the NE (that plays a large role on the evolution of the weekend storm) startibg to bomb out as it moves well offshore. Once we can get these pieces to phase and the clipper to move offshore, we should have a much better handle on the situation come tomorrows 12z runs. 

Valid: 12:30pm 

ScreenHunter_110Jan211232.png

Valid 5am Jan 22nd

rapSW_500_avort_018.gif

The usual suspect hasn't posted anything from the WPC in a while...

EAST OF THE ROCKIES...AN ACTIVE PERIOD WITH A DAY 3 SOUTHERN
STREAM SYSTEM MIGRATING ALONG THE THE GULF STREAM...AND GENERATING
WRAP-AROUND PRECIPITATION FOR THE NORTHEAST COAST AND INTERIOR.
A
SECOND SYSTEM---A NORTHERN STREAM ENTITY---CONTINUES TO BE
POTENTIAL SENSIBLE WEATHER FEATURE FOR THE MIDWEST...MID-ATLANTIC
REGION AND NORTHEAST...DAYS 4-6 RESPECTIVELY. THERE REMAINS THE
POSSIBILITY OF SECONDARY CYCLOGENESIS ALONG THE DELMARVA PENINSULA
AND DOWNSTREAM TO THE 40N 70W BENCHMARK BETWEEN DAY 5-6.

WAS ABLE TO MAINTAIN GOOD CONTINUITY WITH THE PREVIOUS SET OF WPC
SURFACE GRAPHICS...USING A BLEND OF THE 21/00Z ECENS/GEFS MEANS.
TO DETAIL SOME OF THE SMALLER-SCALE FEATURES...THE 21/00Z
DETERMINISTIC ECMWF APPEARED USEFUL THROUGH DAY 5 FROM WEST TO
EAST. VOJTESAK

...SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...
THE CYCLONE MOVING UP THE EAST COAST SATURDAY LEADS TO A LARGE
SHIELD OF PRECIPITATION WITH CHALLENGES OF POTENTIAL WINTER PRECIP
ON THE NORTH AND WEST FRINGES OF THE SHIELD
. THE NEXT CYCLONE
LEADS TO A LARGE AREA OF PRECIPITATION WITH RAIN IN THE WARM
SECTOR AND SNOW IN THE COLD SECTOR ACROSS THE MID-UPPER MS VALLEY
TO THE GREAT LAKES AND OH VALLEY SUN AND CENTRAL APPALACHIANS TO
THE MID ATLANTIC AND NY/NEW ENGLAND MONDAY 26 JAN. 

9jhwbg_conus.gif

The purveyors of this system as a snowstorm should be explaining how it or any system produces a big snow event for us with unfavorable teleconnections.    The PV needs to be further south and come at us from Hudson Bay.    We need a psuedo -NAO to be created by two lows working in tandem about 72 hours apart, with the first one going to 50/50 position and giving us some blocking.   I think all storms are going to be impostors till then.

Archived