Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Coastal Storm This Weekend

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow..

Once you get to NE NJ on the 18z GFS things are pretty much dry. It looks like we once again have a model battle between the European and the GFS and their ensembles. 

Enter Doorman. 

ScreenHunter_115%20Jan.%2021%2016.57.png

The Euro is surperior with Miller A's. It has the support of its ensembles and the GGEM. I'll ride that until proven otherwise.

I'm still very wary of the new GFS given its stark changes between 0z and 6z and its earlier performance close to a big ticket storm. From 1/16:

Based on the 0z runs, this possible storm represents the first major qpf "battle" between the ECMWF and the upgraded GFS. Select qpf forecasts for the NYC metro area from the 0z runs:

BDR: ECMWF: 1.30"; GFS: 0.01"

EWR: ECMWF: 1.31"; GFS: None

ISP: ECMWF: 1.10"; GFS: 0.09"

NYC: ECMWF: 1.38"; GFS: None

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45384-118-119-potential-coastal-storm/?p=3259453

Precipitation amounts for 1/18:

BDR: 1.28"

EWR: 1.84"

ISP: 0.83"

NYC: 2.10"

If the GFS hasn't begun to trend toward the other global models (or if the other global models trend toward the GFS) by tomorrow's 12z and 18z runs, then I'll be more concerned that the GFS might have a potentially more accurate solution.

I'm still very wary of the new GFS given its stark changes between 0z and 6z and its earlier performance close to a big ticket storm. From 1/16:

Based on the 0z runs, this possible storm represents the first major qpf "battle" between the ECMWF and the upgraded GFS. Select qpf forecasts for the NYC metro area from the 0z runs:

BDR: ECMWF: 1.30"; GFS: 0.01"

EWR: ECMWF: 1.31"; GFS: None

ISP: ECMWF: 1.10"; GFS: 0.09"

NYC: ECMWF: 1.38"; GFS: None

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45384-118-119-potential-coastal-storm/?p=3259453

Precipitation amounts for 1/18:

BDR: 1.28"

EWR: 1.84"

ISP: 0.83"

NYC: 2.10"

If the GFS hasn't begun to trend toward the other global models (or if the other global models trend toward the GFS) by tomorrow's 12z and 18z runs, then I'll be more concerned that the GFS might have a potentially more accurate solution.

Wow. That's an extremely damning analysis of the P(GFS). And a pretty accurate forecast by the Euro. The Euro actually under did QPF by quite a bit for NYC and EWR.

Sent from my iPhone

Tell me this - If these two models were flipped and the Euro was OTS...how would you feel? I definitely am more confident in the Euro, but primarily b/c it's got the rest of the guidance on its side. The GFS should be thrown out at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Euro is surperior with Miller A's. It has the support of its ensembles and the GGEM. I'll ride that until proven otherwise.

Totally agree.  I'll ride them as well until proven otherwise.  Euro has great support from its 51 ensemble members, just a handful

of them have essentially a miss for this forum.  Majority are locked and loaded for a decent event be it all snow or snow to mix/rain back to snow.  I still don't think we're talking epic event here but I still like the euro/ggem over the latest (12Z and 18Z) GFS.  GFS

had a huge bust just this past weekend from about 48 hours out…had no rain (as has been pointed out already in this thread) and most places had 1.5 to just over 2".  This will be second big test for new GFS so we will see if it passes or fails.

Man, at least 50% of the reason I love snowstorms is due to the model analysis/bickering/which one is better...sucked to not have any of this up till now!

in anycase, we should feel good that it's really only the gfs which shows an OTS solution, though what a coup (negative one at that) if it proves right-espec for DM.

The GFS has zero support. It's out to lunch. Even the NAVGEM is amped up in the 970s as PB GFI showed.

I am a GFS fan, but In this case the Euro has been very consistent. It saw the storm in almost in the same spot  on Jan 15th. I posted it on banter.  Right now I have to go with the Euro.

Worth noting.....as Don has commented on before.....while the Euro has always been the better model, beating out the GFS.....the OLD GFS did better than the NEW one.....so all in all, this makes the Euro A MUCH better model at this time. While I usually would be a bit cautious if a model showed such a solution getting closer to the event, at this point given the parallel gfs's (new GFS) track record thus far, I'd say it truly is out to a long, long lunch (maybe it went to Europe for some advice) and it is better for us at this point to be cautiously optimistic

I could believe the GFS may be is correct if it didn't jump around every single run

i am NOT saying it is right - but not entirely fair to say its jumping around every single run...

https://twitter.com/JimCantore/status/558033207816638465

take a look for yourself - sure subtle changes, but its not going bi-polar on us (this time around)

Archived