Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014/15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much for the stormier pattern.

People south of 80 have nothing to complain about with the past couple weeks. I agree with your sentiment as this pattern change was looking to be improved storm wise for us north of 80 is now looking one and done. Plus it looks like a crap storm for several who have been just missed to the south recently too. All in all it is March which just have not been all that exciting in recent years IMO.

So much for the stormier pattern.

It is more active than it has been the past couple of weeks for many of us, but yeah, can't seem to buy a favorable pattern for big southern stream snowstorms for ****...

Feb. 1st was obviously a fluke (the only storm this season that produced 4" or more).

It is more active than it has been the past couple of weeks for many of us, but yeah, can't seem to buy a favorable pattern for big southern stream snowstorms for ****...

Feb. 1st was obviously a fluke (the only storm this season that produced 4" or more).

lol I hate using the word fluke for a big storm like that. Its the storm that so many of you have been waiting for...and after having 6 storms drop 6"+ last winter I wouldnt have been the least bit surprised if we got none this winter.

It has been a 3 week winter here.One in November, one in January, and one in February. 90 inches of snow, with about 30 inches each of those weeks. Thank God for Lake Michigan! lol

Interesting. Snowfall has been frequent and well dispersed here, its just been light outside of Feb 1-2s big dog and Decembers snowless hell. Lots of 2-4" type deals and the usual dusting to 2" deals as well.

lol I hate using the word fluke for a big storm like that. Its the storm that so many of you have been waiting for...and after having 6 storms drop 6"+ last winter I wouldnt have been the least bit surprised if we got none this winter.

I've come to the conclusion that it's essentially impossible to please some people.  Get a big storm (12+) and it's not enough...gotta have multiple storms like that which of course is highly unrealistic per climo. 

I meant fluke in the context that the pattern otherwise hasn't been favorable for a system like Feb. 1st.

We've largely continued the trend from the past 2-3 winters as far as the lack of any organized snowstorms and instead just NW flow clippers and sheared out/positive tilt southern stream waves.

That's why parts of Northern Lower MI, WNW LES belts and parts of MN haven't been doing all that hot. The strengthening NNE/NE lakes cutters to Detroit/Cleveland or from IA/IL to the N. Michigan have been missing in action because of how amenic the STJ has been against the overwhelming northern stream flow.

I got my big dog though which is all I need, so I'm not complaining. But how poor the overall pattern has been for major SW flow winter storms lately can't be denied.

(though I guess if one's main concern is simply maintaining snowcover and constant cold or simply seeing any type of snow flying in the air, all of the aforementioned is probably not that big of a deal).

I meant fluke in the context that the pattern otherwise hasn't been favorable for a system like Feb. 1st.

We've largely continued the trend from the past 2-3 winters as far as the lack of any organized snowstorms and instead just NW flow clippers and sheared out/positive tilt southern stream waves.

That's why parts of Northern Lower MI, WNW LES belts and parts of MN haven't been doing all that hot. The strengthening NNE/NE lakes cutters to Detroit/Cleveland or from IA/IL to the N. Michigan have been missing in action because of how amenic the STJ has been against the overwhelming northern stream flow.

I got my big dog though which is all I need, so I'm not complaining. But how poor the overall pattern has been for major SW flow winter storms lately can't be denied.

(though I guess if one's main concern is simply maintaining snowcover and constant cold or simply seeing any type of snow flying in the air, all of the aforementioned is probably not that big of a deal).

I honestly dont even remember who it is (they may not post here anymore, I know its none of the regulars) but they were whining per  usual and when I pointed out how Detroit was railing off 6"+ snowstorms at a record pace they said if DTW finally got a big dog it wouldnt matter if it snowed a single flake the rest of the winter, thats all they need. The last two years would have been the PERFECT way to gauge if it was total bullsh*t (which I know it was). 2013-14 historic in every sense of the word, 6 storms of 6"+, historic cold blasts, snow pack, etc etc...but no storm over 12" (though two 11" storms). Now this winter....a 16.7" storm and then a plethora of 2-4" type deals keeping another epic snowpack but the 2nd biggest storm on the season is not even quite 4".

Interesting. Snowfall has been frequent and well dispersed here, its just been light outside of Feb 1-2s big dog and Decembers snowless hell. Lots of 2-4" type deals and the usual dusting to 2" deals as well.

We have received several "one inch snowfalls" this month, but like I said, most of our snow has been in 3 weeks. You guys have been much closer to the storm track, giving you the 2-4 inch deals...which has been the theme the last couple of years.

I've come to the conclusion that it's essentially impossible to please some people.  Get a big storm (12+) and it's not enough...gotta have multiple storms like that which of course is highly unrealistic per climo. 

Agree 100%. We have seen absolutely everything, not much more to say. Climo has been far exceeded in most places for many years now too. if we ever go into a 1940s type stretch the board will crash.

You know what else is funny, in some of our recent snowy winters I was hearing complaints that we were getting all this snow but the damn thaws were killing most of the snowpack and the melting was a major killjoy because you were always starting new, etc etc...now the last 2 years I have heard excuses about not being able to see around snowbanks on the road, the snow is getting dirty, Im tired of refreshers lets wash it away and start fresh, etc etc...I could write a book :lmao:

I am not complaining but I would agree with powerball that without the big storm this winter hasn't been that great and that we got lucky with the big storm. It took for everything to come together to get that storm, since then and before then there have been issue with the northern stream being too dominant and/or not enough southern stream influences.

I am not complaining but I would agree with powerball that without the big storm this winter hasn't been that great and that we got lucky with the big storm. It took for everything to come together to get that storm, since then and before then there have been issue with the northern stream being too dominant and/or not enough southern stream influences.

I think the timing of the Big dog storm was perfect. If it was to happen a week from now this winter would of had a much different tone from many, including myself. I think many of the (-) temp departures would of been much less, with the reduction of snow pack as well. Never the less, it has been a great winter !! As it winds to a close, we should be all thank full for two back to back seasons of awesomeness.

Here's to a third !! :pepsi:

Looks like our first taste of spring is on the way for next week.  Ridge from out west expands well to the east by Monday and Tuesday.  GFS showing widespread 50s and 60s through most of Iowa and Illinois by then.  Looks to stay that way most of next week.  Since there doesn't look to be anything storm-wise in the future I say bring it on.  

Looks like our first taste of spring is on the way for next week.  Ridge from out west expands well to the east by Monday and Tuesday.  GFS showing widespread 50s and 60s through most of Iowa and Illinois by then.  Looks to stay that way most of next week.  Since there doesn't look to be anything storm-wise in the future I say bring it on.  

GGEM agrees

I now agree with this.  While I love winter have an excellent snow cover (16") I am ready to move on now that major/decent snowstorms don't look to be in our future!

30 and 40s this weekend should take care of most of our 3-4" snowpack.  Then, 50s will certainly be possible next week.  The GEM has a low temp of 60 in Sioux City on day 10.  The plains were in the 70s(even a few low 80s) a month ago, so it should be pretty easy to get back up there.

We missed out on the weekend and midweek storms, so I'm ready to move on to the next season.

30 and 40s this weekend should take care of most of our 3-4" snowpack.  Then, 50s will certainly be possible next week.  The GEM has a low temp of 60 in Sioux City on day 10.  The plains were in the 70s(even a few low 80s) a month ago, so it should be pretty easy to get back up there.

We missed out on the weekend and midweek storms, so I'm ready to move on to the next season.

Absolutely no science to back this up but I have a bad feeling we haven't seen the last of winter after this week.

Archived