joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014/15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm honored! I live for Winter, I really do, and I enjoy every second of it... snow is magical to me.

Well someone that moves to the middle of nowhere to see insane snow would be #1 for me. But if you read the posts from damage from tolland....I think he is from another planet in regards to snow. I think when he retires he's moving to the Rockies 14,000 feet. Step up your game Bo! ^_^

You should see the NE forum - they currently have about 5 winter threads going at the same time...no mention of Spring at all. Post after post about how long they can retain snowcover. Not many winter weenies in here can hold a candle to that...although I do my best. :)

It might be different is I had a deep snowpack. Now, just a few dirty piles. I'm over it.

Speaking of Valdez, how about 1989-90 and 1991-92? Not that I couldn't ever imagine the totals from the other seasons...

attachicon.gifvaldez.png

That is crazy! It beats the record in Hooker on the Tug for sure. Valdez gets a combination of Ocean Enhanced snow and Orographic lift which can absolutely dump. It's moisture source also doesn't have to worry about freezing all winter long. The possible cold that can cross that sea is incredible. Basically a perfect combo for obscene yearly snowfall totals.

The hamlet of Hooker, near the boundaries of Jefferson, Lewis, and Oswego counties, holds the state record for snowfall in a year — 466.9 inches, about 39 feet, in the winter of 1976-77. It sits right next to the hamlet of Montague, which got 77 inches in a 24-hour period in January 1997.

Speaking of Valdez, how about 1989-90 and 1991-92? Not that I couldn't ever imagine the totals from the other seasons...

attachicon.gifvaldez.png

Awesome - I think Valdez hit a 108" snow depth on 1/17/1990.  I guess it helped that 47.5" fell the previous day. :)

A few years back (2011-12?), I think they had 400+".  I believe Anchorage, Juneau, and Nome set records for seasonal snowfall.

No one likes snow more then Josh aka michigansnowfreak. I would put him up against anyone in the NE forum. He would gladly be ok with snow on the ground year around.

I have to agree with Tim, I have learned over the years on these forums, and it has been ESPECIALLY reinforced after back to back brutal winters, that even though this is a weather forum, there are only a few of us super hard-core winter lovers. For the general masses it seems the snow bug starts itching early (by early November) but then by mid or late February they start to get spring fever.

I will say though...i wouldnt want snow on the ground YEAR-ROUND lol thats a bit extreme.

Awesome - I think Valdez hit a 108" snow depth on 1/17/1990.  I guess it helped that 47.5" fell the previous day. :)

A few years back (2011-12?), I think they had 400+".  I believe Anchorage, Juneau, and Nome set records for seasonal snowfall.

I see 107", but what's an inch amongst friends? :lol:

Crazy run though for them from Jan 10-21, 1990 (daily snowfall and snow depth in the last two columns). Just amazing when you look at the temps and precip totals...to spit out that much snow. They added snow on the 18th and dropped 13" in snow depth. Sweet.

I see 107", but what's an inch amongst friends? :lol:

Crazy run though for them from Jan 10-21, 1990 (daily snowfall and snow depth in the last two columns). Just amazing when you look at the temps and precip totals...to spit out that much snow. They added snow on the 18th and dropped 13" in snow depth. Sweet.

attachicon.gifvaldez sd 1990.png

When you start getting that much snow the weight of it really compacts the lower layers. Especially if it has lower ratios and meat to it. It happened here quite extensively in Nov.

Looking forward to another May 16 (was it?) or later coating this year just to razz the snow haters in the office. That morning year last year was classic.

Also, best UP snowmobile trip for us was several years ago 2007 Easter weekend with 4' plus down that week leading up. They were raking leaves at Krupps and then boom back open for that holiday weekend. It was powder riding all the way, quiet, with little traffic, a lot of trail blazing, and such a unique experience.

Looking forward to another May 16 (was it?) or later coating this year just to razz the snow haters in the office. That morning year last year was classic.

Also, best UP snowmobile trip for us was several years ago 2007 Easter weekend with 4' plus down that week leading up. They were raking leaves at Krupps and then boom back open for that holiday weekend. It was powder riding all the way, quiet, with little traffic, a lot of trail blazing, and such a unique experience.

I remember the Easter weekend 2007 lake effect snows quite fondly...one of the biggest LES snows I've seen at home on the east side of Cleveland (30-40")...just goes to show we aren't out of the woods yet. The upcoming pattern doesn't look optimal as I think the trough may be too broad and too far east for a big synoptic storm in this sub forum...but, there are some signs of something around the 20th as Hoosier said so we will see if things can go just right with that.

No one likes snow more then Josh aka michigansnowfreak. I would put him up against anyone in the NE forum. He would gladly be ok with snow on the ground year around.

I wonder if those old tales of how when the French first founded Detroit back in the early 1700's, that the forests were so thick that sometimes snow would remain on the ground until almost July.

I wonder if those old tales of how when the French first founded Detroit back in the early 1700's, that the forests were so thick that sometimes snow would remain on the ground until almost July.

I can believe that, especially with the canopy's of virgin forest.  Here on my property, with third growth forest that are heavy, the previous owner of my house told me snow routinely can be found in the woods until June... especially last year.

I remember the Easter weekend 2007 lake effect snows quite fondly...one of the biggest LES snows I've seen at home on the east side of Cleveland (30-40")...just goes to show we aren't out of the woods yet. The upcoming pattern doesn't look optimal as I think the trough may be too broad and too far east for a big synoptic storm in this sub forum...but, there are some signs of something around the 20th as Hoosier said so we will see if things can go just right with that.

I remember that one well too because my father and I tried some steelhead fishing at the Rocky River in the afternoon and it started coming down hard again.

What date was that, anyone remember?

I remember that one well too because my father and I tried some steelhead fishing at the Rocky River in the afternoon and it started coming down hard again.

What date was that, anyone remember?

April 5-8, 2007. There haven't been any LES events since that have managed to drop a widespread 20"+ along the lakeshore from Cleveland points west.

post-525-0-96632200-1426133478_thumb.png

The Euro and Canadian have been toying with the idea of an airmass cold enough to get the lakes going again to an extent the second half of next week depending on how much they can thaw through early next week...although not nearly the setup the April 2007 event was.

Archived