joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014/15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12z GFS ruins the warmup next week with a backdoor cold front on Wednesday afternoon. That sort of front would impact the lakeshore most significantly but the cold dense airmass over the lake would easily push inland. Southeast winds on Thursday would keep things chilly in northeast IL. 00z Euro had the front but not til Wednesday night and looks like the 12z GEM keeps southwest winds in place throughout Wednesday. Something to watch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Its been a very enjoyable winter here, so if i would get mild and stay mild Id be more than content. After all, it IS time. But if its not going to last, Id rather just stay entrenched in deep winter.

I'm ok with it turning below normal for a time, but only if it's active. Once again better looking for the East Coast

Yep, that's a pretty intense slug of gulf moisture aiming for the OV and Midwest for next weekend showing up on several GFS runs at this time.  If it holds and is matched by other models there could be serious flooding issues and maybe the first svr wx risk for certain areas. Of course with early systems we always worry about instability issues and it is a week out.

Yep, that's a pretty intense slug of gulf moisture aiming for the OV and Midwest for next weekend showing up on several GFS runs at this time.  If it holds and is matched by other models there could be serious flooding issues and maybe the first svr wx risk for certain areas. Of course with early systems we always worry about instability issues and it is a week out.

I'm not really seeing it. In fact, I don't really see anything favorable for any notable severe weather for the balance of March.

I'm not really seeing it. In fact, I don't really see anything favorable for any notable severe weather for the balance of March.

The mid/upper pattern on the 12z Euro ENS toward the end of the run was pretty much the opposite of what you would want to have any hope of a more favorable pattern for severe wx later in the month into April. Pretty strong agreement in a higher amplitude MJO wave through phase 7 into phase 8 by about March 20th. Phase 8 in MAM is basically a repeat of the +PNA that dominated February. Based on the temperature composites, if the current forecasts verify and the MJO can actually propagate all the way into phase 2-3, that might be more supportive of getting troughing into the west/-PNA by April, but that's a huge if.

3 1/2 weeks left in the month is a pretty long time, but given the look on various long range products, you could very well be right.

Though there have been March outbreaks, it's kind of early to expect something this time of year, especially once you get north of I-80. 

3 1/2 weeks left in the month is a pretty long time, but given the look on various long range products, you could very well be right.

Though there have been March outbreaks, it's kind of early to expect something this time of year, especially once you get north of I-80. 

Severe is dead for March. Ensembles are in cahoots on that scenario. Hope for better times starting sometime in April.

Severe is dead for March. Ensembles are in cahoots on that scenario. Hope for better times starting sometime in April.

Hard to be optimistic, no doubt, and if you had to place your bets that would be the smart way to go.  The reason I'm reluctant to completely shut the door is that every once in a while you can get a one-off in an otherwise unfavorable pattern.  A recent, rather extreme example of this is 11/17/2013.  Couldn't buy a severe report that month and then bang.  Got pretty quiet again after that for the rest of the month.

Hard to be optimistic, no doubt, and if you had to place your bets that would be the smart way to go.  The reason I'm reluctant to completely shut the door is that every once in a while you can get a one-off in an otherwise unfavorable pattern.  A recent, rather extreme example of this is 11/17/2013.  Couldn't buy a severe report that month and then bang.  Got pretty quiet again after that for the rest of the month.

Sure enough. But, our chances at frozen are better than severe in the last 1/3 of March into early April. Not that either are great at this point...just IMO. :)

Sure enough. But, our chances at frozen are better than severe in the last 1/3 of March into early April. Not that either are great at this point...just IMO. :)

IMO, we probably haven't seen our last snow.  Assuming we go back into a colder pattern later this month, then it's not at all unrealistic to think we could get something frozen.  It's late March, not late May. 

IMO, we probably haven't seen our last snow.  Assuming we go back into a colder pattern later this month, then it's not at all unrealistic to think we could get something frozen.  It's late March, not late May. 

Yep, agreed. Certainly is not unheard for us to see something in late March/early April. Though, a late March 2013 type of a storm is probably a long shot, looking at the modeled pattern...but one never knows. :D

Yep, agreed. Certainly is not unheard for us to see something in late March/early April. Though, a late March 2013 type of a storm is probably a long shot, looking at the modeled pattern...but one never knows. :D

I think we're at the point where our interests start to diverge.  For me, anything less than 6" can go home.  We're not in the midst of a record breaking snow situation like last winter.  While it would be kinda cool to notch another 40" season, I don't want it that much. 

I think we're at the point where our interests start to diverge.  For me, anything less than 6" can go home.  We're not in the midst of a record breaking snow situation like last winter.  While it would be kinda cool to notch another 40" season, I don't want it that much. 

I understand. We had our fun last winter...chasing/breaking records. Once in a lifetime for the LAF. But, I never give up on wintry possibilities, until the bitter end. Just how I'm wired. :)

Archived