joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 7 Arctic Front / almost a WINDEX

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I drove to work this morning it was -1 at 7:50am...The wind was blowing here and it was pretty brutal.  Just went out at lunch, and it's 15 and breezy, and it was dam COLD.  

Every one has their own opinion on how it feels, and that's only natural.  If you happen to be out when it was below zero, and happened to be in the wind as I was, it was pretty darn Cold...imo.

I spent my morning dealing with this, it was pretty standard stuff for Jan, last year outside during the day was brutal, last night was brutal.

ORH beat last winter's coldest temp by 3F. This airmass was more impressive than anything last year.

The radiators though were not the prime spot for cold in this one.

IMO I agree.  Last night I was out, and it was rough with the wind...period.  Like Ginxy said, it was tough last night for sure...winds were strong and howling.

The cold was deeper than anything last year. It's a fast shot though so today isn't that bad out. It's already on its way out.

If you were out anytime between 7pm and 1am last night, you probably experienced nastier cold than last year. If you got inside your house by 4-5pm and didn't get outside again until this morning, then you would probably not think much of it.

The cold was deeper than anything last year. It's a fast shot though so today isn't that bad out. It's already on its way out.

If you were out anytime between 7pm and 1am last night, you probably experienced nastier cold than last year. If you got inside your house by 4-5pm and didn't get outside again until this morning, then you would probably not think much of it.

Yea it was awesome last night, just pure Arctic cold, having a little snow OTG made it nice. Pretty sure last year with deeper blowing snow it felt colder though.

Will what were temps/winds (ball park) during that exceptionally cold storm last year. I was out last nite around 9pm and i remember i was definitely colder in that storm (no question the moisture from the snow made it worse)

Will what were temps/winds (ball park) during that exceptionally cold storm last year. I was out last nite around 9pm and i remember i was definitely colder in that storm (no question the moisture from the snow made it worse)

Temps were around 0 during that storm. It was pretty special. We got down to -2 with steady snow in ORH during that. The winds weren't nearly as strong as last night though but the moisture certainly added to the cold feel in the storm. I've tried to look back as far as possible and I am confident that the storm in question last year was the coldest snowstorm for BOS an ORH since at least 1940. And slightly less confident that it was colder than any storm since 1900. It was a once in a lifetime coastal in terms of temps.

Temps were around 0 during that storm. It was pretty special. We got down to -2 with steady snow in ORH during that. The winds weren't nearly as strong as last night though but the moisture certainly added to the cold feel in the storm. I've tried to look back as far as possible and I am confident that the storm in question last year was the coldest snowstorm for BOS an ORH since at least 1940. And slightly less confident that it was colder than any storm since 1900. It was a once in a lifetime coastal in terms of temps.

Yea that was about as special as it gets for cold storms, peeps need to remember that one. We certainly have had our share of lifetime achievement stuff. Blizz 13, Rocktober, cold snowstorm. guess the grand slam would include Cat 3

I was out last night a few times with the dog.  It was cold and windy, but nothing super special. And that was with air temps of -2 and wind.

This morning I was out and it was -10 to -12 but there was no wind... kinda meh

I think last March's low of -7.5F was more interesting to me for MBY

I spent my morning dealing with this, it was pretty standard stuff for Jan, last year outside during the day was brutal, last night was brutal.

You dealt with taking pics while others worked?  ;) 

Totally joking, I know you bust your ssa at your job. 

I saw a good sized uprooted evergreen the other day here too from roughly 45mph gusts...those pines come down fairly easily.

If this came in 6hrs faster there would've been some cold mins for the rad spots. That sfc ridge axis moved through here a little after sunrise. That's why everyone at 8am was saying "meh".

I thought the widespread -20s up here this morning were definitely not "meh", lol, but I didn't see what lows were elsewhere to the south and east of us.  We may have just barely gotten into the ridge axis by sunrise, because we had just 2 hours of clear skies recorded around 4-6am and that gave it that little extra boost to go from -17F to -21F at MVL.  The only CLR skies in the last 2 days were right before sunrise this morning, so good timing.

Looks like the winner was -31F at the Sutton COOP in VT.

You dealt with taking pics while others worked?  ;)

Totally joking, I know you bust your ssa at your job. 

I saw a good sized uprooted evergreen the other day here too from roughly 45mph gusts...those pines come down fairly easily.

actually it does pay to be King but I did help the crew out big time, they love me, not a stand by boss

Archived