joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2015 Arctic Attack Thread

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ga. is now officially the Wussie State, lol.  Folks today wouldn't have survived the 60's much less the 1880's.  T

Our schools are considering it too  :lol:    It's because we have such crappy buses, no shed to protect them and most won't start when it gets that cold. 

I'm now under a wind chill advisory for tonight/tomorrow am    :D   :thumbsup:    and it seems CAE is still watching the possibility of a light glaze  

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...

COOL DRY HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD INTO THE EASTERN SEABOARD

SATURDAY AND RIDGE DOWN INTO OUR FA. MODELS SHIFT MAIN UPPER FLOW

WELL TO OUR NORTH AND INDICATE UPPER ENERGY SHIFTING EAST FROM THE

SW CONUS INTO OUR REGION IN A GENERALLY ZONAL FLOW ALOFT THROUGH

EARLY NEXT WEEK. THIS WILL LEAD TO SOME ISENTROPIC LIFT/MOISTURE

RETURN AT SOME POINT LATE WEEKEND INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK. SOME MODEL

DISCREPANCY ON TIMING AND EXTENT. LATEST GUIDANCE SUGGESTS CHANCE

POPS ON SUNDAY AS ISENTROPIC LIFT INCREASES DURING THE DAY. LATEST

12Z GFS HAS BACKED OFF ON PRECIPITATION EARLY SUNDAY

MORNING...WHICH COULD BE IN THE FORM OF FREEZING RAIN OR DRIZZLE.

CONFIDENCE LIMITED AT THIS TIME GIVEN MODEL INCONSISTENCIES. FOR

NOW...WILL MAINTAIN MENTION OF SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN OR FREEZING

RAIN/DRIZZLE EARLY SUNDAY. WILL MAINTAIN CHANCE POPS THROUGH REST

OF THE PERIOD EACH DAY WITH HIGHEST CHANCE MONDAY BASED ON

ENSEMBLE MEAN. TEMPERATURES WELL BELOW NORMAL EARLY IN THE

PERIOD...AND MODERATING TO NEAR NORMAL BY THE END OF THE PERIOD.

Ga. is now officially the Wussie State, lol.  Folks today wouldn't have survived the 60's much less the 1880's.  T

All I can say is this - people here don't own extreme cold weather gear (unless they commonly go for ski vacations or similar), and the schools don't want kids in lightweight jackets outside waiting for school buses in sub-0 wind chill weather.  As a parent, if our school runs at the usual time tomorrow, I will drive my son instead of sending him out to the bus stop.  Common "winter" gear on the kids around here is a sweatshirt hoodie, sometimes with the addition of a scarf or gloves or knit cap.  And that's fine for a few minutes in the morning when it's 30-50 degrees outside.  But not when it's 8 degrees with a below 0 wind chill.

In addition, there's just the issue of making sure the HVAC systems at the schools can warm up the buildings.  Again, it's all about what heating was sized for the structure in a part of the country that doesn't often see single digit temps.

Also, what Buckeye said about the buses is true also - in our county, they're parked overnight in an outdoor parking lot, and in some cases I've seen them at the drivers' homes.  Definitely not in any kind of shelter.

All I can say is this - people here don't own extreme cold weather gear (unless they commonly go for ski vacations or similar), and the schools don't want kids in lightweight jackets outside waiting for school buses in sub-0 wind chill weather.  As a parent, if our school runs at the usual time tomorrow, I will drive my son instead of sending him out to the bus stop.  Common "winter" gear on the kids around here is a sweatshirt hoodie, sometimes with the addition of a scarf or gloves or knit cap.  And that's fine for a few minutes in the morning when it's 30-50 degrees outside.  But not when it's 8 degrees with a below 0 wind chill.

In addition, there's just the issue of making sure the HVAC systems at the schools can warm up the buildings.  Again, it's all about what heating was sized for the structure in a part of the country that doesn't often see single digit temps.

Also, what Buckeye said about the buses is true also - in our county, they're parked overnight in an outdoor parking lot, and in some cases I've seen them at the drivers' homes.  Definitely not in any kind of shelter.

My mother sent me packing to walk that mile plus to school in the  50's and 60's when it was 6 or 10 or whatever, and all I ever did was wear a second shirt, or maybe a sweater extra, and I probably wore gloves for half the walk, lol, and a stocking hat.  And that was because she walked the same route in the 30's to the same school, and knew it wouldn't kill me. A little cold never hurt a kid, unless he's been coddled all his life, and told to fear the cold, and fear the tornadoes, and fear the inch of snow, and fear the wind, and the lightening and  thunder, lol.  The media in a market like Atlanta sells fear...and shilling weather fear is the absolute worst in my estimation.  Kids need to toughen up, not wimp out.  We had no air conditioning all thru grammar and high school, and only steam radiant heaters in winter(the were good unless you were sitting next to them), and if the boiler went out, we put on our coats, then walked home, and not early...and somehow we all lived.  Of course my toes turn black when it drops below 20, but hey, it's a conversation starter, lol. Sorry...guess I'm too old to feel for the pampered city tykes like maybe I should :)  And I was raised in Atlanta.  If a kid can't walk to school keep him home.  If it looks like snow, keep him home.  Don't need the county, or the Governor to tell a parent that.  What's the worst that will happen if the kid stays home?  Won't have to sleep in the bus out on the highway?  Or in the school for two days?

My mother sent me packing to walk that mile plus to school in the  50's and 60's when it was 6 or 10 or whatever, and all I ever did was wear a second shirt, or maybe a sweater extra, and I probably wore gloves for half the walk, lol, and a stocking hat.  And that was because she walked the same route in the 30's to the same school, and knew it wouldn't kill me. A little cold never hurt a kid, unless he's been coddled all his life, and told to fear the cold, and fear the tornadoes, and fear the inch of snow, and fear the wind, and the lightening and  thunder, lol.  The media in a market like Atlanta sells fear...and shilling weather fear is the absolute worst in my estimation.  Kids need to toughen up, not wimp out.  We had no air conditioning all thru grammar and high school, and only steam radiant heaters in winter(the were good unless you were sitting next to them), and if the boiler went out, we put on our coats, then walked home, and not early...and somehow we all lived.  Of course my toes turn black when it drops below 20, but hey, it's a conversation starter, lol. Sorry...guess I'm too old to feel for the pampered city tykes like maybe I should :)  And I was raised in Atlanta.  If a kid can't walk to school keep him home.  If it looks like snow, keep him home.  Don't need the county, or the Governor to tell a parent that.  What's the worst that will happen if the kid stays home?  Won't have to sleep in the bus out on the highway?  Or in the school for two days?

I totally get you, because I am from the Apps, my family had farms, definitely a different way of life and yes, in the past we were much more resilient and self-sufficient than people (particularly those in cities) are today.  And your parents were probably unlikely to sue anyone if the heat broke at the school and they shunted you out to walk home and somebody hit you on the shoulder of the road, either. ;)  People are very different these days.  Most decisions include some level of liability consideration because many people look to make a buck off of whatever misfortune befalls them.

And we're rural up here - walking to school isn't really an option for probably 95% of the kids, not least because people drive (like fools) 60mph down tiny, windy country roads with no shoulder and no sidewalks.  Middle and high schools are so consolidated now that there are only a handful in the county.  One of my son's friends has a 16 mile, 60 minute bus ride to school every day.  If the bus won't turn over in the morning, he's definitely not gonna be walking.  We actually live "closer" to the school than many, and we're still 6 miles away from it.

I totally get you, because I am from the Apps, my family had farms, definitely a different way of life and yes, in the past we were much more resilient and self-sufficient than people (particularly those in cities) are today.

Yeah, I get it too :)  No tort reform, choking off education budgets, the death of neighborhood schools, and lawyers multiplying like rabbits have lead to the perfect anti storm, lol.  Oh, well, I just wanted to see some shivering kids on their way to school, lol.

It was cloudy all day here, but no flurries, or even tree debris that looked like flakes :)  But the clouds are indicative of the moisture running underneath, and one of these days a high will come down onto some of that rain, and happy days!  Went under freezing  before 6, so at least it'll feel good outside even without any sleet :)T

Archived