joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2015 Arctic Attack Thread

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things froze up so quickly last night it formed some icebergs in this old milk can sitting outside!!! It had been collecting rainwater this summer and fall, and was about 1½" from the top yesterday afternoon. The ice expanded with such force it even pushed one chunk out and over the edge.

post-658-0-98569400-1420734541_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-72750100-1420734565_thumb.jpg

Flurries all over Jacksonville area. From local TV reporter on west side of town.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Although onshore ocean effect snow isn't unheard of done there, it's impressive none the less..especially since it's happening in the middle and warmest part of the day.

Jacksonville International Airport

Network: NWS/FAA

Elevation: 30 ft / 9 m Time: 1/8/15 - 1941Z 14:41EST

Temperature: 37° F / 3° C

Dew Point: 28° F / -2° C

Relative Humidity: 70%

Altimeter: 30.47 in / 1031.83 mb

Wind Speed: 13 mph / 6 m/s

Wind Direction: from the N

Weather conditions: lt snow

Tonight, the interior sections have their shot of defying the odds and  have a shot of some light freezing drizzle/light freezing rain

ANOTHER NIGHT OF SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE POSSIBLE ACROSSSOUTHEAST GEORGIA AND THE SUWANNEE RIVER VALLEY OF NORTH FLORIDAAND HARD FREEZE AND FREEZE WATCHES ARE IN EFFECT. THERE IS ALSO ALOW CHANCE THAT OVERRUNNING MOISTURE ACROSS THIS SAME REGIONCOULD PRODUCE A FEW AREAS OF FREEZING DRIZZLE WHICH COULD IMPACTROADWAYS IN THESE AREAS. WE WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THISPOTENTIAL FOR POSSIBLE INCLUSION IN THE ONGOING FORECAST.

Well I've lived in my house going on 19 years and never had my water freeze up until last night. The wind pounding/penatrating must of been what did the trick. I have some 0 nights, but not with the wind. It makes a difference. Snow covered ground actually helps insulate. Anyway thankfully dodge bullet, want happen again. And weather wise it's cold. Ponds freezing up, creeks lakes still thawed at the moment. Be interested to see tommorow a.m.

Cant say I can recall another time EVER that I have seen this kind of "threat" in a air mass like we have right now......I mean drizzle with temps in teens and 20's that would be a first for me......MHX has put freezing drizzle in my point forecast though.....you would think roads and bridges would be nightmares though if this where to happen.

From RAH

BY MIDNIGHT...MODELS INDICATE A VERY STRONG 40-50KT LOW LEVEL JET
DEVELOPING IN RESPONSE TO THE APPROACHING UPPER TROUGH...WHICH
COMBINED WITH SOME SHALLOW MOISTURE RETURN AND ISENTROPIC LIFT ATOP
THE NOCTURNAL INVERSION/RESIDUAL DENSE ARCTIC AIRMASS...WILL LEAD TO
STRATUS AND POSSIBLY SOME PATCHY FREEZING DRIZZLE ACROSS THE COASTAL
PLAIN.  NONE OF THE TRADITIONAL NWP (NAM/GFS/ECMWF/CANADIAN)
PRODUCE ANY MEASURABLE PRECIP...BUT THE SREF AND VARIOUS CAMS
CONTINUE TO SUGGEST DRIZZLE FROM WHAT IS EXPECTED TO BE A 1500FT
DEEP LATER OF SATURATION.  A BIG QUESTION WILL BE THE CHARACTER OF
THE VERY NEAR SURFACE AIRMAS...WHERE DEWPOINTS ARE CURRENTLY STILL
BELOW ZERO.  THIS BY NO MEANS IS EXPECTED TO CAUSE WIDESPREAD TRAVEL
ISSUES AND CONFIDENCE IN IMPACTS DOES NOT SUPPORT AN ADVISORY AT
THIS TIME...BUT SITUATIONS SUCH AS THESE CAN PRODUCE SLICK SPOTS ON
ROADWAYS AND BE A SURPRISE TO EARLY MORNING TRAVELERS.

I was just looking at your HWO, downeast, and came here to post it after reading the RAH disco.

MARTIN-PITT-WASHINGTON-TYRRELL-MAINLAND DARE-GREENE-BEAUFORT-MAINLAND HYDE-DUPLIN-LENOIR-JONES-CRAVEN-PAMLICO-CARTERET-ONSLOW-403 PM EST THU JAN 8 2015THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA..DAY ONE...TONIGHT.PATCHY FREEZING DRIZZLE MAY DEVELOP LATE TONIGHT INTO EARLY FRIDAYMORNING. NO TRAVEL IMPACTS ARE EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

I was just looking at your HWO, downeast, and came here to post it after reading the RAH disco.

MARTIN-PITT-WASHINGTON-TYRRELL-MAINLAND DARE-GREENE-BEAUFORT-MAINLAND HYDE-DUPLIN-LENOIR-JONES-CRAVEN-PAMLICO-CARTERET-ONSLOW-403 PM EST THU JAN 8 2015THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA..DAY ONE...TONIGHT.PATCHY FREEZING DRIZZLE MAY DEVELOP LATE TONIGHT INTO EARLY FRIDAYMORNING. NO TRAVEL IMPACTS ARE EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

yeah its just odd.......I thought they had screwed up when I went to check the point to see if they moved the low tonight down any and they had freezing drizzle symbol up....

Cant say I can recall another time EVER that I have seen this kind of "threat" in a air mass like we have right now......I mean drizzle with temps in teens and 20's that would be a first for me......MHX has put freezing drizzle in my point forecast though.....you would think roads and bridges would be nightmares though if this where to happen.

From RAH

BY MIDNIGHT...MODELS INDICATE A VERY STRONG 40-50KT LOW LEVEL JET

DEVELOPING IN RESPONSE TO THE APPROACHING UPPER TROUGH...WHICH

COMBINED WITH SOME SHALLOW MOISTURE RETURN AND ISENTROPIC LIFT ATOP

THE NOCTURNAL INVERSION/RESIDUAL DENSE ARCTIC AIRMASS...WILL LEAD TO

STRATUS AND POSSIBLY SOME PATCHY FREEZING DRIZZLE ACROSS THE COASTAL

PLAIN.  NONE OF THE TRADITIONAL NWP (NAM/GFS/ECMWF/CANADIAN)

PRODUCE ANY MEASURABLE PRECIP...BUT THE SREF AND VARIOUS CAMS

CONTINUE TO SUGGEST DRIZZLE FROM WHAT IS EXPECTED TO BE A 1500FT

DEEP LATER OF SATURATION.  A BIG QUESTION WILL BE THE CHARACTER OF

THE VERY NEAR SURFACE AIRMAS...WHERE DEWPOINTS ARE CURRENTLY STILL

BELOW ZERO.  THIS BY NO MEANS IS EXPECTED TO CAUSE WIDESPREAD TRAVEL

ISSUES AND CONFIDENCE IN IMPACTS DOES NOT SUPPORT AN ADVISORY AT

THIS TIME...BUT SITUATIONS SUCH AS THESE CAN PRODUCE SLICK SPOTS ON

ROADWAYS AND BE A SURPRISE TO EARLY MORNING TRAVELERS.

Well, the NWS doesn't seem to.... 

Well, the NWS doesn't seem to.... 

Guess that depends on just how much drizzle there is......the temp never got over 28 here today, so tonight the bridges wouldn't take much to freeze up but I would think it would have to be pretty heavy drizzle which seems unlikely given the air mass.....but IF it does then I don't see how it wouldn't freeze to the roads and be a issue.

Archived