joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2015 Arctic Attack Thread

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The higher elevations will always be colder and have more fun - just the way it goes. You will drop significantly over the next few hours as the front is still just pushing through your area. It's not as cold as last years, but will be cold- especially with the wind. GSP still at 20, so it's not exactly knocking the bottom out, (big difference from temps just a couple thousand feet up) but it continues to drop pretty steadily. Won't break records with this one, but very nice to see some legitimate cold! Bring on some more!!  Let the ice age cometh!!!  :sled::snowing::lmao::wub:

Indeed!  I always keep up with places I have either lived, or spent a tremendous amount of time.  One of my childhood best friends moved to Avery County, NC, so I spent many summer months and Christmas vacations up there.  January temps below 0 and July days in the 70s made for a nice change from life in Georgia.  I was always intrigued with northwest Georgia being so much cooler during situations like today, whereas northeast Georgia was always colder during the CAD events.

After living in central South Carolina for four years, I've learned that there is no place that could possibly be warmer than everywhere else all the time.  However, temperatures in this area will drop like a rock during calm nights.

13.2 F IMBY at the moment.  We're going deep cold tonight...

From the GSP 9:40 PM update:

OUTSIDE OF THE MTNS...SKIES HAVE CLEARED AND WILL REMAIN SO
OVERNIGHT. WINDS WILL ALSO SLOWLY DIMINISH OVERNIGHT...BUT NOT
BEFORE WIND CHILL VALUES REACH ADVISORY LEVEL. TEMPS MAY BE A TAD
COLDER THAN FORECAST ACROSS THE AREA
...SO HAVE TRENDED DOWN A DEGREE
OR TWO IN LINE WITH LATEST OBSERVATIONS AND GUIDANCE.

10 degrees and a howling wind outside as we speak across Western McDowell County...

I was about ready for bed due to an early start to my day on Thursday...but something told me to look at some models one last time and what stood out to me was that the NAM4 is really picking up on a second wave of cold for the So Apps and Upper Southeast that comes through here late in the day on Friday and into Saturday morning...

First off, I think the NAM4 is missing out on the temperatures on Friday morning...to me, not enough single digits in the mountains and lower teens east of the Blue Ridge...winds are going to be calm, radiational cooling will be there and there should not be much if any temp inversion in the higher terrain...

post-1418-0-87512700-1420695588_thumb.pn

Friday will finally allow temps in WNC (outside the mtns) to get above freezing and those further away from the mountains into the 40's...but Friday night, the secondary blast comes charging in and its now getting inside the range of the high resolution grid...

Saturday 12z

post-1418-0-67626600-1420695813_thumb.pn

I think if I was north of I-20 and SoApps Region, I would be preparing for a secondary blast in this arctic attack...

Archived