northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
1/5-1/6 clipper system

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you and gilbert both riding that train. I think track is pretty well set but i think the.25 to .3 QPF we see treats us well.

Yeah....and really not expecting the track change (if it happens) to have a profound affect on totals...only a tiny bump really compared to what most of the guidance and LOT is showing

Will be interesting to see how LOT handles the upgrading to warnings or advisories as we get closer now with DVN putting Jo Daviess and Stephenson county under a warning for 5-7" and if they do go warnings, what the northern row of counties ends of being.

They can't let DVN sucker them into a warning just for "consistency". Gotta go WWA for the northern tier area. Obviously all pending 0z guidance.

You're actually too far north/east with a colder column/less deep dgz, so I could buy that (ratios not being as high as in the main band).

Well of course ratios would always be good in the main band of the clipper, which is the case with any system (as the lift is broader, more persistent and stronger), granted I think the expectation for 25:1 or 30:1 some have is still too high.

But it was implied that good ratios would make up for the reduced QPF/moisture north of the main band for much of the clipper discussion. As I feared, that doesn't look to be case. :lol:

They can't let DVN sucker them into a warning just for "consistency". Gotta go WWA for the northern tier area. Obviously all pending 0z guidance.

Yeah I think northern tier of counties should be a lock for an advisory. Mainly curious about the I-88 corridor of counties and the city.

Also, I don't get why DVN went with an advisory for Henry and Bureau county. Seems like a lock for a warning IMO.  

Sref still has Dkb over 7", but I am hesitant to lock in a pick until the south trend is stemmed.

Against my better judgement:

DKB: 5.6"

Cyclone: 7.3"

ORD: 4.0"

IKK: 6.2"

LAF: 5.8"

IND: 2.3"

I don't really see DKB getting much more than O'Hare. The spread on both of the plumes is pretty large as well. Much more consensus down by Calumet City around 7.

SREF still averaging a very healthy 6.4" here. Really want to see the 0z guidance before I bet on any numbers yet here. 

Really hope this system breaks your sub 6" streak Cyclone! ...And Hawkeye too - I know you've haven't had the best time of it picking up big amounts either.

New to the forums here. Reporting in from the eastern Nebraska area and watching this system closely. For now it obviously looks to scrape us and we look to be on about as best edge as you can make here. Though any slight shift south and Boom, could see a couple inches. But for now it appears that eastern Nebraska will see little if any snow from I-80 and south.

Looks like central Iowa will be the show on this one. A good 6-10" out there seems probable with someone picking up those 8"-10" amounts in the heaviest bands.

A pretty good pocket of moisture and lift developing and sitting right in there.

namCGP_700_vvel_030.gif

New to the forums here. Reporting in from the eastern Nebraska area and watching this system closely. For now it obviously looks to scrape us and we look to be on about as best edge as you can make here. Though any slight shift south and Boom, could see a couple inches. But for now it appears that eastern Nebraska will see little if any snow from I-80 and south.

Looks like central Iowa will be the show on this one. A good 6-10" out there seems probable with someone picking up those 8"-10" amounts in the heaviest bands.

A pretty good pocket of moisture and lift developing and sitting right in there.

Welcome to the forum! Riding the south edge is probably a good place to be right now :)

Looks like means are going to come down here at 21z. Here is the dProg/dt data for Calumet City...no 21z data yet but take a look where 15z is comparatively.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index_means.php?YMD=20150104&RT=15&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=GYY&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=7&mLAT=41.55831529749065&mLON=-88.39324762340667&mTYP=roadmap

Looks like it based on the 12 hour map I posted above.  Main snow band still running on the northern end of guidance though.  Almost looks like it just weakens it a bit more as it heads into your area.

Edit:  there might be some contamination in there from today's snow though on those previous runs?

Archived