wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
1/5-1/6 clipper system

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I see it, I'd lean more toward the globals as of now for placement but the mesos may be useful for the mesoscale banding aspect as we get closer.  But again, lack of sampling so lower confidence in favored corridor as of now.

I would be more concerned about a miss to the south if we had a -NAO. That is me though..

Overnight timing will help with impacts in some areas but where that doesn't happen, impacts will be high given that there should be a period of high snowfall rates with the very cold temps.  Makes me think of 2/6/2007 around here...about 6" of snow and an absolute debacle on the roads given the rates and temps in the single digits to around 10F during the storm.  Could see something like that wherever the main band is.

I know there are concerns about southern areas being screwed by overachieving WAA/dryslotting or a last minute northward shift, but there will also be a limit to how far north this storm goes given the pseudo-block in place (between the PNA ridge and the 50/50 low) and the progressive mean flow out of the WNW.

The vigorous LLJ will only do so much to amplify this storm and help place the precip shield further NE.

I would feel more comfortable if I were south of WI and MI...

Euro is a little south/weaker with the sfc low but the main snow swath runs from Sioux Falls to Clinton, IA to south side of Chicago. Looks a little lighter on QPF as well. 

Looks like .2 to .3 qpf in the main band.  Could still fluff up to near warning criteria with good ratios if it's right.

I think this event could have some parallels to 1/20/12: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=lot&storyid=77934&source=2

Modeled snow swath looks pretty similar and there were localized amounts of 7-9" near I-80 in the LOT CWA surrounded by a general 4-7". That was also a cold storm with higher than average ratios, though duration was longer in that event than this one is likely to have.

Sent from my SM-G900V

I know there are concerns about southern areas being screwed by overachieving WAA/dryslotting or a last minute northward shift, but there will also be a limit to how far north this storm goes given the pseudo-block in place (between the PNA ridge and the 50/50 low) and the progressive mean flow out of the WNW.

The vigorous LLJ will only do so much to amplify this storm and help place the precip shield further NE.

I would feel more comfortable if I were south of WI and MI...

one thing the models seem to agree on is that the swath of accumulating snow will be more expansive north of the heaviest swath with a sharp cutoff south of the swath. So while id probably rather be in Toledo than Detroit for the best snow, we have more buffer room for accumulation than those south of the main swath.

On my phone so not going to post images but both the euro snowfall mean and control have a good snow swath axis for northern IL and only a few euro members are south of the op which would line up more with the 0z GFS. Most members are good hits for along/north of I-80.

Adding on for other ensemble reports...

03z SREF nudged a bit south, 06z NAM now on the northern side of that suite.

00z NCEP also went south, the majority of members want to track it near Springfield, IL.

The 3z SREF mean 12hr snow swath is still on the north side of guidance looking like the 0z NAM

Good to hear, since most everything else is looking south. I'm just glancing over the cyclone tracking charts for the SREF reports.

3z SREF

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/tpm/emchurr/tcgen/tcgif/track.srperts.2015010403.east_coast.single.png

21z

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/tpm/emchurr/tcgen/tcgif/track.srperts.2015010321.east_coast.single.png

The 3z SREF mean 12hr snow swath is still on the north side of guidance looking like the 0z NAM

Hopefully the bleeding stops with the 06z runs and we see some adjustments back north with the 12z run. Always that storm that defies everything and i sure hope this one is not it. +nao says this should come back north but yeah models saying not so?

Hopefully the bleeding stops with the 06z runs and we see some adjustments back north with the 12z run. Always that storm that defies everything and i sure hope this one is not it. +nao says this should come back north but yeah models saying not so?

12z should get some sampling. 6z nam and gfs nudged south, srefs nudged north.

Liking my call. Clippers usually dig south of globals outside 48 hrs but nothing radical. We should see consensus improve today. Nice hit for all of LOT, locked and loaded, heaviest south. Geos magnet will need a miracle.

2-3 northern burbs lake County il

3-6 city cook co

6-10 southern cwa

Archived