joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/5-1/6 clipper system

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Stebo ever becomes a mod, I quit americanwx.

I am sorry should I have left that eternally pessimistic post as it was especially since it was so filled with sound reasoning. It is funny he mentions recent trends being downward yet the GFS has shifted north 2 successive runs in a row and the Euro once it found the clipper has locked on to the same solution for 2 days now.

I am sorry should I have left that eternally pessimistic post as it was especially since it was so filled with sound reasoning. It is funny he mentions recent trends being downward yet the GFS has shifted north 2 successive runs in a row and the Euro once it found the clipper has locked on to the same solution for 2 days now.

Yeah.

If we want to pick the furthest south model and then go 10-1 ratio...sure...1-2".

ggem still weak and south, practically whiffs chicago and Michigan.   A year ago I might have wondered about a coupe...this year the ggem is nothing more than a lol outlier.

Yeah that is very strange. It has just not picked up on this clipper that the GFS has had for a good week now. Some runs have it, but its always the weakest of any model, and a lot of its ensembles have nothing.

dmc has a track record of being a reasonable poster. It was a flippant comment that we all make from time to time. Go have a bull shot or whatever your drink of choice is. Relax.

Yeah that is very strange. It has just not picked up on this clipper that the GFS has had for a good week now. Some runs have it, but its always the weakest of any model, and a lot of its ensembles have nothing.

GEM is going to be the worst because it is not correctly modeling the LLJ which when incorrectly modeled weak it would lead to falsely low snow totals.

gfs came a little north. still liking a euro track overall. I expect the ggem to start caving north in the next couple runs. This just hasn't had that south trend feeling from the beginning even though southern-trending clippers are common.

still think a 1-2" event along i-70, (probably closer to 2 imby)....probably snow advisory with a row of counties north of that with 3-6" in the northern parts of Ohio.

I saw txt output of last night's euro at 5 mm, which is about 0.2 inches. That would be 2 inches at 10:1 ratios so w/ higher ratios we'd be looking at like 3-4, no?

dmc has a track record of being a reasonable poster. It was a flippant comment that we all make from time to time. Go have a bull shot or whatever your drink of choice is. Relax.

I disagree, as he always does this when the better amounts aren't exactly in his backyard which is going to be the case anyways on this one. However he is incorrect in his idea that the amounts will be that low as only one terrible model is showing that.

looks like it might have expanded south some... the last 2 runs on the GFS my total has went up fwiw.

Also, to add, a lot of people are being too gung-ho with the "ratios look good" calls this far out. 

Average snow-to-liquid ratios in our region are in the ball park of 12:1, and we have seen situations where they end up being lower (1/21/12 for example), as it all depends on where the best lift and moisture sets up aloft. 

So as much as the "pessimism" may bother some, expecting snowfall totals with unusually high ratios such as 20:1 or 25:1 is just as bad...

Also, to add, a lot of people are being too gung-ho with the "ratios look good" calls this far out. 

Average snow-to-liquid ratios in our region are in the ball park of 12:1, and we have seen situations where they end up being lower (1/21/12 for example), as it all depends on where the best lift and moisture sets up aloft. 

So as much as the "pessimistic" comments may bother some, expecting snowfall totals with unrealistic expectations such as 20:1 or 25:1 ratios is just as bad...

Not everybody is going to get 20-25:1 ratios with this, so if everyone who gets snow is expecting that then they will probably be disappointed.  But signals are strong for a corridor of high ratios. 

So as much as the "pessimism" may bother some, expecting snowfall totals with unusually high ratios such as 20:1 or 25:1 is just as bad...

25-1 is really a stretch, but Im not sure 15 or 20-1 is.

I do remember the 1/21/12 clipper and how it busted because everyone banked on ratios when it ended up 10-1 due to the sandy nature of the snow with temps in teens (not to even mention the irony of that kind of snow happening in that torch winter). I also remember a snow in 2009, a very minor one of about an inch or so, where temps were barely above zero and we had like 8 or 9 to 1 ratio snow because it was pure snow dust (though there was a deep snowpack in place so it wasnt a big deal). However...I have been doing the liquid equivalent in my snow since 2000, and we have had many 15 or 20-1 ratio snows that werent lake effect (heck lake effect can be 30 or sometimes 40 to 1 lol).

Basically the devil will be in the detalils, but its not unrealistic to think that ratios will be anywhere from 12 to 20-1

Archived