joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/5-1/6 clipper system

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't recall where I've heard this, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that the best snows fall along the -8 850 line with clippers.   Has anyone else ever heard of this or was I either stoned, drunk, or reading JB?  lol

Not sure but that sounds like a "JB rule"

The euro has strong ensemble support for a precip swath well north of the OP GFS. Hard to bet against it.

yep....also, (I know this anecdotal), but you'd think climo would suggest the first significant clipper of the season would favor the i-80 on north crowd.   No doubt, at some point we'll get an i-70 special. 

yep....also, (I know this anecdotal), but you'd think climo would suggest the first significant clipper of the season would favor the i-80 on north crowd.   No doubt, at some point we'll get an i-70 special. 

OTOH, first clippers of the season probably aren't usually coming in with this type of airmass preceding them...

OTOH, first clippers of the season probably aren't usually coming in with this type of airmass preceding them...

True but also most clippers ride the snow pack line as well and it is much further north. Also not to mention the diffluence at 500mb as this vort slides ESE would actually favor a bit further north. The GFS is a bit too far south with the snow shield with relation to it's mid and upper levels.

True but also most clippers ride the snow pack line as well and it is much further north. Also not to mention the diffluence at 500mb as this vort slides ESE would actually favor a bit further north. The GFS is a bit too far south with the snow shield with relation to it's mid and upper levels.

Also this clipper is the usher for the really cold air.  It's not like the weekend storm is bombing out and bringing in the motherlode.  If that were the case, the clipper would probably ride further south.

GFS had this clipper sniffed out from the begining and hasn't waivered until the small south shifts the last couple runs so imo its tough to bet against it right now.

well I hope you're right.  I've learned the gfs can be stubborn and consistent many times, but that rarely indicates victory in the end.

Anyone got the snow map for this run? I dont think my site is updating.

I hope the cold air doesn't filter in too much dry air...

Seems like you get below 15° and you tend to get needle snowflakes more often.

Archived